Rash from Fitbit Flex?

Options
I've had my Fitbit Flex for 2 months now and I love it. My only problem is that I now have a pretty bad rash from wearing it on my wrist every day. I've tried switching to the other side to give my dominant wrist a break and it clears up a little but it's still pretty bad. I don't want to give up wearing it! I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or what I can do to prevent it from getting worse. Thanks!

Replies

• mjslingsby
    mjslingsby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd be surprised if you were allergic to the band itself. I've been fine with mine, but chose not to wear it in the shower even though FitBit claim you can. Maybe you are getting a build-up of soap/cosmetic material under or inside the band which is causing an irritation when you get warm.

I'd suggest washing the band with a gentle soap and rinsing thoroughly. Then avoid using it in water (shower/swimming etc) and leave it off overnight until the rash clears. Of course, if the rash doesn't improve you should seek professional advice.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I thought the same thing about the shower..I still leave it on but take it off and dry it underneath thoroughly before putting it back on. I guess maybe I could try leaving it off overnight but I like how it tracks my sleep so it would be a bummer to not get that info.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How tight are you wearing it? I can easily fit 2 fingers between mine and my skin and haven't had any issues with rash, or with getting soap and what not caught under it.

You could wear it in your pocket for a few days. Probably not nearly as accurate, but better than nothing I'd bet.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    I don't wear it super tight. I can easily slip a finger under it. I wasn't sure if it had to be a bit snug to work... I guess maybe I could loosen it one more notch and see how that works. Thanks for your response!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't wear it super tight. I can easily slip a finger under it. I wasn't sure if it had to be a bit snug to work... I guess maybe I could loosen it one more notch and see how that works. Thanks for your response!
    let us know if it improves!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have eczema and break out under the Flex band as well. You might want to have a doctor look at the rash and see if you do as well. For me I have to put a little dab of steroid cream on it every few days to keep it from getting bad.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I wear mine all the time, but do notice a slight rash if I'm sweating excessively under it or if I shower with it. So I take it off when I shower, dry my wrist, then put it back on. After a run, I will take it off, RINSE IT off, then thoroughly dry it before putting it back on. I haven't gotten a red spot for quite a while now.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! Glad to see I'm not the only one!
  • jabbarugby
    Options
    I have been following this blog, as it seems lots of people have the same issue with the fitbit. one suggestion is to spray hairspray on the band to create a barrier?

http://www.blog.thehealthcloud.co.uk/2013/06/my-fitbit-flex-review-comparision.html#gpluscomments
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to try that! The rash has gotten better...but it's still there.
  • spitfyre6e6
    Options
    you're probably allergic to the nickel in the band

from fitbit website:

"The Force wristband is made of flexible, durable elastomer material that is comfortable enough to wear all day. It also contains one surgical-grade stainless steel clasp used to fasten the wristband. The clasp contains nickel."
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    The part of my wrist that gets the rash is right under where the part where the FitBit lights up. The clasp is around the other side of my wrist...no rash there. Thanks for your info though! :)
  • lilgia
    Options
    No idea if this will help. But I have sensitive skin. And with jewelry I will break out in a rash. I use a thin layer of clear nailpolish on the part that touches my skin.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    I could try that..I usually don't have a problem with jewelry, but I'll definitely give it a try! Thank you!
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying these tips! I just got one for Christmas and I am nervous about a rash since I break out with any jewelry or watches, no matter what the material!
  • tegalicious
    Options
    I have a rash as well. It doesn't bother me though. I get it because when I wash my hands, some of the soap and water gets under and in to the band where the fitbit unit sits and basically keeps my wrist moist all day. Lovely I know. I also notice that I have a tiny amount of rash where the clasp is but it is for the same reason.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    I actually went onto the Fitbit site and did a search for this same problem...turns out, it's happened to A LOT of people. Some say it's due to the wristband having nickel in it...others say it's actually a chemical burn from the battery leaking!!! Their pictures look exactly like mine. They've all filed complaints. My "rash" has turned from just being red and a bit itchy to blistery and scaly red, dry, itchy/burning skin. I'm not happy..but I really don't want to have to stop wearing it. I filed a complaint as well..and got a generic response stating that they would get back upon further review.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends had text from her FB Flex burned into her wrist. She posted pics of her rash; it was terrible. She just flat-out couldn't wear it anymore, so she switched to a different device.
  • kelly_c_77
    Options
    One of my MFP friends had text from her FB Flex burned into her wrist. She posted pics of her rash; it was terrible. She just flat-out couldn't wear it anymore, so she switched to a different device.
    Do you know what she switched to? I would love to find something just like the Flex minus the rash/burn!! Thanks!
  • JessicaP1234
    JessicaP1234 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The part that holds the little electric fitbit into the bracelet will hold water after a shower. I take mine off and pull the little black thing out and dry it all off before putting it back on. If you shower and then do that you will see just how much water gets in that part. Water laying on the skin like that for hours before it drys day in and out will cause a skin fungus ... rash like fungus just like Athletes foot. I don't have a rash and never have but I dry it good after each shower. Put some Athletes Foot Spray on the rash and always remember to dry the bracelet out and I bet the rash goes away.