Even spices???

Options
Hello All! I am new here and I have a question. Should I record my spices like garlic powder or basil in my food diary?
If so that can really add up. :(

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Some spices do contain sugar, sodium, etc. Check the labels to see - if there is no caloric, sodium or other nutrient value then i wouldn't add it.
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You should always track anything you eat that has any caloric value. I have noticed that people dont add them, then at the end of the week when they weigh in they are all confused when the didnt lose as much as they thought. And like you said they do add up
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    I add absolutely everything.
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    the only spices i add are ones that contain salt, or sugar but i do count my oils. Most spices have very little calories just like eating a baby carrot has almost no calories that pinch of spice has even less.
  • twnzmom
    twnzmom Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new but when i put a recipe in I list everything then I know I haven't slipped something through that could add up and come back to haunt me later.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I count everything I eat. If you're not going to record everything that goes into your mouth, what is the point in counting calories?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    this is a little too obsessive for me :laugh:

I dont ever eat all my exercise calories. this leaves room for anomylies such as spices etc,

Dont really see the point in adding anything less than 30 cals.

just my HO!! :bigsmile:

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Doordie
    Options
    Thanks! I think for now it's best to count everything like most of you said. It will help in practicing moderation and pin pointing where my calories come from. Maybe later I can skip those that do not have salt and sugar as suggested. But one step at a time. :)

Thanks once again. More info welcomed if there is anything to add.
  • mlagena
    mlagena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I never count spices. :huh:
    But that's because I never know what I'm going to add and it's always 'to taste.' Cooking is so much more an art than a science. ;)
  • Doordie
    Options
    @ Annapixie
    Thanks I saw this after I posted. Yeah I don't want to get to the point where I am obsessive. At least that's what I thought when I first posted this. But now I am realizing most spices I use have no calories or not even listed on here. So I am good to go for the most part. :)
  • Doordie
    Options
    @Mlagena
    Yes, some calories will get lost in calculation. However, I try to add the spices I put on top of things after they are prepared. Also, I agree fine cooking is an art. It seems to me that the best DIY chefs never measure officially. It's a pinch here a shake there. It's like they simply know what it takes. :) I'm like that sometimes.