Huge NSV (for me anyhow)

Options
cjlorigan
cjlorigan Posts: 209 Member
Yesterday after just over 4 1/2 of "fun" I officially completes the 2013 Tough Muddder!!! Let's just say it's an experience I'll never forget. Of course being me, I've never tried a mud run or obstacle course before (biggest event was a few road 5k's) so let's just go with the biggest I can find!! As of today I have more bruises on my body and in places I've never had before then I can remember in my life!!

But even with all the hurt last night and today I'm ecstatic I was able to finish - a little background, I sprained my right foot 2 days before the event - I guess running in flip flops is not a good idea...who knew?

The obstacles we were faced with were: Kiss of Mud, Blades of Glory, Firewalker, Arctic Enema, Warrior Carry, Hold your wood, Mud Mile, Berlin Wall, Cage Crawl, Boa Contrictor, Electric Eel, Funky Monkey, Walk the Plank, Mt Everest, and Electric Shock Therapy. (Order may have been a little different) There were also many "course hazards" which were VERY steep hills in the woods with about 8" of mud. I saw MANY broken ankle victims.

I attempted all obstacles and the only one I failed at was Funky Monkey - the rungs were just too muddy for a good grip.

26f5ef33-ffd2-4c4f-876e-003cd824425f_zps4038cb64.jpg

Replies

• cjlorigan
    Options
    Oh and the only reason I look semi-clean in this pic is cuz I rinsed off before getting on the bus back to parking. :laugh:
  • czechwolf52
    czechwolf52 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I would love to do a Tough Mudder someday.
  • chubbymommy34
    Options
    That's fantastic. Congratulations.
  • cjlorigan
    Options
    Congrats! I would love to do a Tough Mudder someday.

If I can do it then you definitely can. It's mostly mind over matter.
  • cjlorigan
    Options
    And u now have an infection in my foot. Ugh. Oh well. I'd do it again in a minute!
  • SherryIsRunner5
    SherryIsRunner5 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!
  • SkinnyMel78
    SkinnyMel78 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!! My sister has been doing this for the past few years and this year my 15 yr old daughter did it. I sat on the sidelines and cheered them on but next year I think I am going to give it a try. Looks like fun and is for a great cause!!
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I ran in the Miami Super Spartan and in 25 days I am running in the Vermont Spartan Beast. I know how you feel. Awesome!!
  • micqs
    micqs Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That's so exciting!!! Way to go! I have the Marines mud run next month. It's not as intense as the tough mudder but similar. One day I'd like to do the tough mudder :). Congratulations!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well done! I just started hearing of these and now I'm looking at doing one as one of my longer-term goals. I definitely need to lose 100 more pounds and change up my work out to prep for it before attempting one, maybe get a few more 5Ks under my belt where I actually run the whole course :) But these just look awesome. And you look fabulous! Well done, congrats, and keep up the great work and being an inspiration!
  • ashuls
    ashuls Posts: 5
    Options
    Congratulations!! I have one coming up in 2 weeks! AGHHH. The most I have done is 5K's and random distant runs but nothing this extreme. Thanks for sharing! I have been so nervous about this event, but I'm glad I came across your post. This is a HUGE NSV so good for you!! Congrats again!
  • cjlorigan
    Options
    Honestly all I 've ever done is maybe three 5k's a year. There isn't any real distance running. Best advice I can give is TRAIL RUN, TRAIL RUN and when you're tired....MUDDY TRAIL RUN. There is lots of help from fellow mudders to help get you over the walls and such.
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Amazing! That is a huge NSV for most people. You must be so proud of yourself!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    LOL! I know exactly how you feel. I did a Warrior Dash and was bruised and bloody by the end and loved every second of it! Within a week, I had already signed up to do it the next year.

That is a great NSV! Be proud!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!