Suggested exercises for disabled PLEASE!

Options
Hi, I was just intro'd to this great site by my family members, who are all on board; seems we will be challenging one another on a daily basis, and I love it! But I have one thing holding me back-I have 3 herniated discs in my spine and RSD in my right leg and foot and right hand. I pretty much lie down or sit most of the day; This isn't conducive to losing weight, I know, but for the past 10 years this has been my life. I can walk short distances, but end up limping badly from the foot/leg and back injuries. Does anyone have some sound suggestions for exercising that will not cause more injuries or pain? I have gained about 60 pounds since my injury, and am a Type-2 Diabetic, so I KNOW the best for me is to lose the extra pounds. But I need some direction in how to exercize it off for good. Thank you for any ideas I can use to achieve my goal! Happy fitness! Kim

Replies

• jbennett23
    Options
    I would highly suggest swimming or water aerobics if your back will allow it. Its much easier on your body and joints but is still great cardio.
  • LeighAyenashi
    LeighAyenashi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't dare recommend any exercise for you with those problems, I would talk to your doctor. I've read somewhere, though, that Bruce Lee started every day by doing exercises in the bed (before ever getting up!). Also, there are many exercises you can do while sitting in a chair. Lots of sites suggest doing these at work when you're too busy to do it elsewhere. I wish you luck and hope for the best with your condition.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    What about chair-aerobics?? Maybe that would be ok?? Modify it to suit your needs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3jhx4F0oAc

Paul Eugene is pretty energetic!! =)
  • kimkimby9
    Options
    Hi, and thank-you to those offering suggestions. I have done everything you have mentioned, with doctor's orders, over the past 10 years. My left arm and left leg are in good shape but the right side arm and leg aren't, so I want to see if there are other things I can do to try and even it out. Plus, I have to be mindful of not "aggravating my back". I don't swim, am terrified of drowning due to a near-drowning at age 5-but when I had tried everything the doctors and physical therapists suggested and no improvement, I pushed myself to the limit and tried water aerobics. I ended up with an asthma attack and severe hives all over my body from the chlorine in the pool, so they wouldn't let me continue. I have seen numerous doctors and physical therapists, and they all act like I am made of glass. They don't offer any help, anymore just tell me to do the best I can and be thankful I am not in a wheelchair yet., and tell me to just keep taking my meds. I have undergone 17 epidurals, brachial plexus blocks, CT scans, MRIs, EMGs, all because the doctors all said they could do better than the one before. I now believe that they only performed all of those procedures because they got paid a lot of money to do them, not because they could "fix it." for me. I used to be a go-go-go person. People used to tease me that I never sat still, that I made them tired just watching me-until I had my injury and subsequent symptoms . I trusted the doctors' "treatments" because they were so-called "experts." But I found out the hard way that nerve, tendon, and disc injuries don't heal very well. I'm not asking for anyone's sympathy, just explaining why I can't exercise in the usual manner, and looking for suggestions from others who may have had similar circumstances happen to them or someone they know. Thank you so much to all who reply! Kim
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    I know that Jillian Michaels suggests that boxing in a squat position (dont squat too low though ) is great cardio workout if you have a lower injury. Boxing being punching into the air while knees bent until its a strain on the legs ...again be careful.
  • kimkimby9
    Options
    Hi, Karen- That sounds like something I can do! I will try it and see how it goes. Looking hopeful-Thanks! Kim