body composition -fixing the goal weight

Options
İ acheived my goal weight of about 70kgs back at the end of June but got lots of negative coments about how thin i looked and almost ill. The target was set by a dietician and was based on my frame and muscle mass being average for a 47 year old. Since then i have put on about 5kgs and people still think i look thin but in a positive way-myself i feel i am carrying the middleage spread and i have returned to dieting--i do not have trouble shedding weight and can soon return to 70kgs with dieting and gym work. i like cardio but dieting seems to reduce the 'muscle' strenght for the weights--the gym assistants say i shouldnt be dieting and doing so much cardio but i want to reduce from my current 26,4 bmi which borders on being over-weight.-at my age is there something i am missing for gaining some muscle and keeping slim??--i used to be well muscled but apart from the gym i do little physical work now--i am a teacher so its really low energy!!

Replies

• TeshiaKL
    Options
    all the interenet calculators arent always right. i think all the body bmi and healthy weight is a bunch of crap. the standards that are floating out there, they dont take into account things like muscle mass. if you are solid, and feel healthy, and can do everything you want to do physically with no problem, but are a little over, then you are fine. i think the only way to truly test fat is a bouyancy test, or other tests that measure, JUST THE FAT.
    we are all of different frames and muscle masses and builds. im 5 5, when i was in shape, at my heaviest, with a six pack and lots of muscle, was 165, i was extremely heavy for my height for the shape i was in, i was in the army at the time and they kept calling me fat, putting me on extra pt to lose the weight, and i kept gaining.
    i mean i cant see you, but i wouldnt push yourself to get too low. my step mom lost a BUNCH of weight, and she got down to 142, and really, she looked too skinny. she has gained 10 pounds since and now she looks great. sometimes what it says for your ideal weight is too low. work on toning or something maybe? ive heard jackie warner is real good, or try the p90x?
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    İm 5 9--163lbs now but i was 152lbs at the end of june--the 11lbs i have put on must be purely fat because i stopped going to the gym and had a long over-indulgent summer(as teachers tend to)--at 152lb i am at pure lean with little body shape--my shoulders and chest narrowed, i was measure by a scanner at my gym on my outset of reduction which concluded i should be 154lbs,--i came down from 187lbs quite rapidly--people say i look older at 152lb!--i think it is trying to find the magic forula of turning fat into muscle while on a diet??
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I think you should shoot for the weight that makes you happy. People's comments on your weight loss shouldn't determine your choices. You don't know where their baggage is when they made those comments. Just like you don't know my baggage as I give this advice. :smile: But you can be sure that both, the people saying you looked to thin and I, have baggage. That's why only you can make the best choices for you. I say this knowing that your goal of 152 is well within the healthy range. If you were shooting for 100lbs my reply would be different.

Protein and losing at a slower rate can help you maintain muscle as you loss weight. You don't have to do anything you don't want to with exercise either. You can get very healthy using only cardio as an exercise source. Weight training is great for some people and has it's pluses, but again this is about you, not about anyone else. Find what works for you and enjoy. Enjoying the exercise you choose will insure that you are doing it 10, 20, 60 years from now and maintaining your healthy body.

I wish you all the luck in the world on your journey.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    You can't "turn muscle into fat" you can either lose fat or you can build muscle. Doing lots of cardio and maintaining a calorie deficit will not allow you to easily build muscle. It doesn't sound like you need to lose any more weight. In my opinion you need to start resistance training / lifting and eating at maintenance level (not at a deficit). In order to lose any extra fat in the mid section, you'll need to eliminate as much processed foods as you can and eat as clean a diet as you can.
  • tater8589
    Options
    You may need some protien shakes. That will help rebuild the muscle.