Exercise

Options
how many times a week should one work out a week in order to loose weight

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I look at it like this: Diet for weight loss ..... exercise for fitness.

Losing weight is at least 80% diet ..... calorie deficit. Resistance training (while) dieting helps you retain lean muscle mass. Cardio helps burn calories and build endurance. How many times you exercise each week depends upon your fitness goals.

When I think dieting and lifestyle changes ..... I think of exercise as a lifestyle change I need to maintain a weight loss.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I really think it's up to the person / whatever you can fit into your schedule. I have seen on several sites a minimum of 250 minutes per week for significant and long lasting weight loss.

I started at about 30 minutes per day 6 times per week and as I got stronger I added more time to this.

Now I do around 65 minutes of cardio 3 days per week and around 90 minutes of weights 3 days per week.

Good luck!
  • Terilyn623
    Options
    I am just starting this journey once again, I have about 80 pounds to lose and along with changing my eating habits ( I tend to over do it on the yummy sugary sweets) I will be aiming to exercise 5 days a week for about 30-60 mins day. I'm a bit out of shape so I'll probably have to work up to the 60 minutes. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    every day,
    7 days a week,
  • Hoppev
    Hoppev Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you are already controlling your calorie intake making sure that you are eating less then you are using. Exercise for about 30 mins 4-5 times a week will help you loose weight and also increase your fitness.
    Resistance training or doing weights not only helps build lean muscle and loose fat but also you will burn more calories the more muscle you build. I currently am doing 35 mins cardio and 1 hour 25 mins weights.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    What she said!

Exercise anyway though....try for at least 3 days a week to start. Find something you like to do, and make it a lifelong habit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about energy (calorie) deficit. Exercise is not necessary for weight loss...you can control your weight with diet alone. Actually, trying to create an energy deficit with exercise is really inefficient; it's far easier to build it into your diet. With MFP, your calorie goal already includes this weight loss deficit; if you set your activity level appropriately, it should NOT include exercise...just your day to day. So...in that case, any exercise you do is unaccounted for activity and needs to be accounted for...thus, with MFP, you log and eat back those calories (adjusted for estimation error of course).

So you see...you do not exercise to lose the weight. Use your diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.
  • bosjewels
    bosjewels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    how many times a week should one work out a week in order to loose weight
    I'm new to this so not sure if i'm doing this right. You should work out as much as possible. I work out 6 days a week. Mon, weds,and Sat I lift weights. I do 30 mins of Cardio everyday. I've just recently started to incorporate core and yoga. a strong core is essential for balance and strength training and yoga for stretching and balance. I'm going to be 54 in Oct. and I jsut started "getting real" about my health and fitness since April. I've lost 35 pds and I feel great! I still have 40 pds to go. I know it could be difficult at times. But you are worth the effort. if you stay consistent before you know it you will have a new lifestyle. slow progress is still progress.
  • bosjewels
    bosjewels Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Losing weight is at least 80% diet ..... calorie deficit. Resistance training (while) dieting helps you retain lean muscle mass. Cardio helps burn calories and build endurance. How many times you exercise each week depends upon your fitness goals.

When I think dieting and lifestyle changes ..... I think of exercise as a lifestyle change I need to maintain a weight loss.
    I agree with you 100% Do you know about macros?
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit-