Appropriate Age To Begin Lifting

Options
I am looking for opinions on what is an appropriate age to allow your child to begin lifting under supervision. First things first...I am an experienced "gym rat" and am well read on the fitness industry as a whole, so I have read all the recommendations from people that fear being held liable for injuries recieved after soliciting advice. I don't care about that crap. I want to know from your personal experience, how old your kids were when you began to let them join you in the weight room. My dughter would be under my supervision the entire time, would be first learning the basic movements of every exercise with body weight only (or minimal weight simply to feel some resistance), and would be learning to enjoy and appreciate lifting, while understanding gym ettiquette, etc. In addition to an age to start, what are some basic routines you used? I am thinking 2 days a week, both full body. One day would incorporate compound movements, but with 5-10 pounds max. The second day would incorporate isolation and BW movements, like assisted pull ups, chin ups, dips, push ups, and some walking lunges or step ups. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan there.

With kids, i think it's important to try to keep it fun and diverse, perhaps by using sandbags, battling ropes, kettlebells, tires, agility ladder, etc., in addition to conventional "adult" exercises.

Starting with higher repetitions (12-15) allows for better motor learning ("muscle memory").
  • GymRatGirl13
    GymRatGirl13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great ideas!! I do want her to learn about "the gym", but you're right...thinking outside the box will probably help her learn to love exercise first. You are also correct on higher reps, too. I was shooting for 3 sets of 12. I plan on her graduating from BW, to resistance bands, to light dumbbells (5 pounds), then to cables on some exercises. She is a dancer, is skinny as a rail, and wants to be "strong like her mom", so she can do better in dance and volleyball. I was thinking of doing one day of sprint or hill intervals, too. Thoughts?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I started doing body weight stuff when I was 8 or so with my dad and I also did gymnastics at that age...I started traditional strength training with weights when I was 12 or 13.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I started doing body weight stuff when I was 8 or so with my dad and I also did gymnastics at that age...I started traditional strength training with weights when I was 12 or 13.

This sounds about right. Puberty is generally best age to add weights. It's really not possible to gain much muscle before. Before puberty bodyweight or sports are best for children.
  • GymRatGirl13
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys...any opinion if there is a difference in gender, considering you said around puberty is probably best? Girls hit puberty sooner, so do you think they can start earlier? My daughter is 11.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I think a child can start when they're able to control their body and follow instructions. If you demonstrate the proper bar path for a bench press, the child needs to be able to recognize and execute it.

The age depends on the child, some children are more athletically "advanced" than others.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Let your daughter guide you on what exercises she wants to do.
    Having said this I would suggest less total number of exercises and do compound exercises (ones that use more than one muscle group at a time. Such as squats, walking lunges, bicep curl into a shoulder press.) these exercises mimic natural body movements and will better support her sports. Keep weights bodyweight or light unless she is post puberty. Cycling/Exercycle is also a great way to build leg strength for beginners.
    My daughter is 11yrs old and has begun to show interest but struggles to maintain a regular routine yet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys...any opinion if there is a difference in gender, considering you said around puberty is probably best? Girls hit puberty sooner, so do you think they can start earlier? My daughter is 11.

I'd really suggest asking their pediatrician, but I don't believe it matters. It's the hormonal changes that come with puberty that make muscle building possible. As long as they are working within their comfort zone it's probably not unsafe at any age. But progressively heavier lifting is probably not a good idea before the hormones kick in.

Having raised two teenage daughters myself, I'd also suggest not standing too close to the dumbbells if the hormones are really raging. :wink:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Age to start bodyweight exercises, and lighter weight resistance exercises, I'd say when they're mature enough to follow instructions, be safe and find an interest in what they're doing. This will vary depending on the child. The focus would be on form, controlling the weight and not max lifts.

For more serious lifting (which I realise you don't mean anyway) I'd say after puberty.
  • GymRatGirl13
    Options
    Having raised two teenage daughters myself, I'd also suggest not standing too close to the dumbbells if the hormones are really raging. :wink:
    [/quote]

Ha ha. Great advice!

As for the other comments, they are also greatly appreciated. The program I have designed for her is all about teaching fundamentals and basic movements. I am prepared for the "OMG...what a bad mother" looks when we roll into the gym together, but I'm pretty sure I could care less about the opinions of most gym goers. :-)
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I looked into this several years ago when my kids were heading down this road. I spoke to an MD in the field of adolescent training. His concerns were all about damage to growth plates, but did recommend strength training. The key are to him was what stage of puberty they were in - early, mid, full blown, and post. Early puberty was all BW stuff. After that was all about the reps (no mention of actual wieght, only the reps - which makes sense) - high reps for kids in puberty - no less than 12 reps and they should be able to perform several sets of those reps...if they can't...too heavy.

Post pubescent...go for it. As far as your sprints, hills, and other strength/cardio work...my sense would be that fits the high rep output. Hope that helps. My kids fared well in this environment - strong and fit and all played/playing collegiate sports.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Bill Phillips ("Body for Life") says he does NOT believe anyone younger than 16 should train w/weights. At ages below that, he recommends calisthenics, like push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, & aerobic activities like jumping jacks and running. While there are many people out there that do have kids start earlier, their bones are not fully developed & weight lifting could cause damage, but it might not show up right away.
  • _Ponkin_
    Options
    I think a child can start when they're able to control their body and follow instructions. If you demonstrate the proper bar path for a bench press, the child needs to be able to recognize and execute it.

The age depends on the child, some children are more athletically "advanced" than others.
    Mine started in the womb, cuz he's elite.

Ya know, like a coach. Leet fo' life.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    You can ask your doctor for an evaluation to see if your children are at a stage where it's safe to begin lifting. As has been said already, typically around/after puberty that way there is no damage to growth plates in bones etc, for heavy lifting anyway
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, my gym has a youth strength program and you have to be 12 years old minimum. I've never inquired as to the rhyme or reason for that, but I'm sure there is one.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Generally, I would say post puberty, with body weight and very light weights. From what I remember, you want to wait until most of the growth spurts etc are done before really increasing.

The trainers I know go along that route. You have to be careful about doing anything that might impede growth.
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    our son was raised in a gym since we owned one for years but he started lifting when he was around 10-11...body weight exercises, free weights and bench press. my husband was a sponsored athlete with Universal Nutrition and holds several world titles in drug free federations and trained our son from day 1. we all competed in powerlifting and still lift. Our son is almost 16 and is strong as an ox. he works construction, cuts wood and ect. he lifted with us only, was on our strength team and we didnt push him. gradual progress
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Not sure why young ones lifting is such a big deal now, since I remember my chores being rather physical long before puberty. Although, having to stack wood was nothing compared to some of the chores the farm kids had to do every morning before school.
  • freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My dad brought me to the gym and taught me how to use simple machines when I was about 13. I don't think I've ever been without exercise in the 10+ years since, even if I am eating horribly. I think it's great when parents teach their kids to make exercise a part of their life as opposed to seasonally training for sports as most of my friends did. Good mom!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I slip creatine and whey protein in my infants milk while my wife isn't looking. Whenever she goes to the store I tie a dumbell around his waist and let him do his thing. I figure I'd hold off on the clen until he is at least 3.

Kids gonna be a M-Fin beast as soon as he learns to walk.