How much distance should I ad to my running per week?

Options
At the moment I can do 3kms (2miles) which I would obviously like to increase. I last time I ran that distance I felt like I could do more but didn't want to push it.
So how much would you recommend I add per week?

Replies

• ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    At the moment I can do 3kms (2miles) which I would obviously like to increase. I last time I ran that distance I felt like I could do more but didn't want to push it.

Congratulations! Attitude is everything!

General rule of thumb is to add no more than 10% per week.

Have you looked into training plans like the Couch to 5K?
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    10 marathons.
  • StuartW1991
    Options

Congratulations! Attitude is everything!

General rule of thumb is to add no more than 10% per week.

Have you looked into training plans like the Couch to 5K?

Thanks! I've found huge enjoyment in running. When I first start a run it sucks but as I get further I start enjoying what I have accomplished so far which pushes me even further. And by the time Im done I feel awesome and thats worth it for me.

I haven't really looked into training programs. Im just kinda doing my own thing. I'll have a look though.

Thanks again :)
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The training plan I'm following adds 1/2 mile per week. So if you comfortably do 2 miles now, up it to 2.5. Do that for a couple of days (2-3) and then up it another 1/2 mile to 3 miles. Etc.....Once in a while do a "short" run to rest your muscles a bit. It also has me going every other day (T-TH-Sat with the increase always happening on saturday) then a recovery run on Sundays of about 1 mile less than Saturday's run.

Here's an example of this week's plan:

Tuesday: 2.5
    Thursday: 2.5
    Saturday: 3
    Sunday: 2 - 2.5

Next week:

Tuesday: 3
    Thursday: 3
    Saturday: 3.5
    Sunday: 2.5 - 3

Seems to be working out pretty well for me. It pushes me but doesn't kill me.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I followed the C25K program which ended with me doing a 5k (obviously) from there I sort of followed the 10k continuation program but moved on to the Hal Higdon half marathon plan. Both plans are similar to Im_NotPerfect's plan of having the weekday runs sort of short with a long run on the weekend and gradually tacking on distance. I would not recommend Perfect's recovery run on Sunday, your body is going to need something a bit less impact once you get to longer distances. I would recommend biking or swimming on Sunday. Less impact but you still get the cardio benefit.
  • StuartW1991
    Options
    I followed the C25K program which ended with me doing a 5k (obviously) from there I sort of followed the 10k continuation program but moved on to the Hal Higdon half marathon plan. Both plans are similar to Im_NotPerfect's plan of having the weekday runs sort of short with a long run on the weekend and gradually tacking on distance. I would not recommend Perfect's recovery run on Sunday, your body is going to need something a bit less impact once you get to longer distances. I would recommend biking or swimming on Sunday. Less impact but you still get the cardio benefit.

That leads me to a heap more questions.. So if you're running shorter distances you can run 6 days per week but if they're long you can't? That stands to reason but then where is the cut off point. How much is too much for everyday?

Man I have sooo much to learn!
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Options

That leads me to a heap more questions.. So if you're running shorter distances you can run 6 days per week but if they're long you can't? That stands to reason but then where is the cut off point. How much is too much for everyday?

I hate to say it, but you body will let you know when to rest. I usually plan two rest days per week. One is always after the long weekend run.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

You kind of have to play around with it to find out what works for you. I can run 2 miles everyday with no likely injuries. If irun 3 miles everyday, by day number 5 I'll be hobbling about the office. And may have to take several consecutive days off. But 3 miles everyday is only 21 miles and I currently run 27 miles per week and am continuing to increase. Through trial and error I figured out that I can run 5 days a week as long as I only do 3 consecutive days at a time. Just something to think about.

Anyway when I was getting back to running after using c25k a year earlier I realized I could run for 20 mins without stopping so I did 4 runs a week, the week day runs were based on time. So 3 20 min runs the first week followed by 10 mins walking and a long run of 2.5 on the weekend. The next week I would increase the running by 5 mins and add half a mile to the weekend. Once I got to 30 mins during the week, I only increased my long run and once I got to 10k distance I found an organized half marathon plan that increased mileage by 10% a week.

This worked for me, I ran my 1st half 6 months after I started running with no injuries to speak of.