Question for those who are maintaining

Options
Do you still workout as much as you did when you were loosing the weight? I would work out 5-6 days a week. Now that I've gotten to my goal (actually below my goal. I didn't think I would!) I'm almost afraid to keep working out as much as I did before as I don't really want to loose more. I'm 5'3" and right now I am weight in at 116.4. I know an average good weight for someone my height is 115. I don't want to go below that. However, I still have that last couple of inches I want to loose of my stomach.

Keep in mind I do NOT go to the gym. (I can't afford it) I workout at home with JM DVDs and walk. I do have hand bell weights that I use. (3lb, 5lb and recently added 8lb) I would appreciate any advice as to what you did to keep it up and how often you work out. (and what I can do get rid of those last couple of inches off my tummy!)

Replies

• sagreenious
    sagreenious Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I workout the same amount, yes.
    If you don't want to lose anymore weight eat more food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I workout the same amount, yes.
    If you don't want to lose anymore weight eat more food.

agreed!

if you want to lose some more bodyfat you need a small deficit and some strenght/resistance training (you dont need a gym for this)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    yes. i workout just as much, just increase what you're eating
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    yes, I train for performance so I train as often as I can and still recover.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose some fat without losing lean body mass, then shift your focus from cardio to strength training and continue to eat at a small deficit. There are benefits to cardio exercise, just make sure you are eating enough calories to support your burn or you will end up losing lean body mass along with the fat.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I do a little less cardio but I still go to the gym 4 times per week for lifting. You can either eat more or work out less if you are still losing and don't want to.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I exercise more, harder, and longer. It's important for maintenance and - as people say - to get those extra calories. Research says its much more important for maintenance than it is for weight loss. People who keep weight off exercise, on average, an hour five days a week.

I'm mostly a walker, but i do hit those 10,000 steps almost every day.
  • asapmust
    asapmust Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal the beginning of this month after changing my lifestyle in January, 2012. Actually I am 2 pounds below goal. I'm 5' 3.5" and am at 113 pounds - which I know is still "acceptable" for my height and frame. I still go to the gym 5 days a week, 1 zumba class and 1 yoga class. I just started using myfitnesspal last week and can't understand why crunches, planks, weighted exercises, etc. "don't count" as calories burned. Plus after I enter my food for the day, it keeps telling me that continuing to eat/workout as recorded will take me down to 105 by mid-September - which is not where I want to be. Any suggestions for maintaining?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I exercise as much as I did when I was lost my weight 9 years ago...however my fitness mindset has changed COMPLETELY.

I used to do 8 hours of cardio per week, now I do 40-60 minutes TOPS. I spend those other hours lifting weights.

My weight is close to the same as it was when I initially lost my weight, I'm 8 pounds heavier now (by choice) but much healthier, happier, and at a lower body fat with no cellulite.

I will continue this as long as I possibly can, because I want to be strong and fit well into my golden years.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Yes I do, although my workout goals are a bit different. I am working more towards fitness and getting stronger and faster, so I am concentrating more on running and weight lifting than I was during my weight loss period.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal the beginning of this month after changing my lifestyle in January, 2012. Actually I am 2 pounds below goal. I'm 5' 3.5" and am at 113 pounds - which I know is still "acceptable" for my height and frame. I still go to the gym 5 days a week, 1 zumba class and 1 yoga class. I just started using myfitnesspal last week and can't understand why crunches, planks, weighted exercises, etc. "don't count" as calories burned. Plus after I enter my food for the day, it keeps telling me that continuing to eat/workout as recorded will take me down to 105 by mid-September - which is not where I want to be. Any suggestions for maintaining?
    That area is there just for keeping track of your lifting stats. There is a section in cardio exercises for "strength training" to count those calories burned.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

It's telling you that based on the calories you're eating. You probably need to bump up your calories in order to not keep losing! :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Use your diet (nouin) for weight control; exercise for fitness.

My training hasn't changed a bit at maintenance, just my calorie intake. Whether losing, maintaining, or gaining...your diet is the most influential thing here. And as far as exercise is related to weight control, it's actually far more important in maintaining than it is losing.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I have been on maintenance for over two and half years, with very little weight fluctuations. I keep exercising as much or even more than before. Strength training is my major focus, and my cardio is limited to 10 to 15 minutes warm up and about 20 minutes cool down. I workout 5 days a week, and I mostly rest on the weekend.

I don't run or jog, so I use the ARC Trainer, treadmill, rowing machine or stationary bike. I also do Pilates and Ballet/barre exercises. I increased my calories by eating most of my exercise calories; but I am still eating at a small deficit. This systems works for me.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would take any recommendations on good strength training workouts. I like to follows DVDs or somethng on youtube. I only have the hand bell weights as I indicated.

I do have a key to the fitness room on my street. (It was a one time fee of $20 for the key) They have a treadmill, elipical, exercise bike and some weight machine thing. I don't want to use the weight machine thing as I want someone to physically show me the proper way to use it before I attempt to use it. Whenver I go there is no one else there! (There was once somoene was leaving as I was ariving)
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes I exercise as much. When I stopped exercising so much I piled on lbs I'd lost. Won't make that mistake again!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yes I do and I eat 200 to 500 calories more a day. It keeps me toned and in shape:-)
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Keep on ur JM... Maybe add some pop pilates for ab?? Search pop pilates on you tube. Its great.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would work out the same amount.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I work out the same--actually more because I have found activities that I really enjoy (including adding strength training).