protein bars suggestions

Options
I see all kinds and have no idea what's actually good for you. I can't help but feel a small bar that has a list of 30 ingredients I can't pronounce as well as high fructose corn syrup can be good for you. Anyone have any suggestions on protein bars with a handful of ingredients you can pronounce and no high fructose corn syrup?

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I personally like these:

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/kelloggs-fiberplus-antioxidants-protein-bar-mixed-nut.html

including the variants thereof. It doesn't specifically contain HFCS, but it does contain fructose. Keep in mind that HFCS in small quantities isn't necessarily bad for you. It's just sugar. The science says you should limit all sugar at the same rate, HFCS included. The science also says that sugar in moderation (HFCS included) is fine. Especially if you're working out, the easy conversion to glucose is excellent for fueling your exercise.
  • Bubbl3s25
    Bubbl3s25 Posts: 210
    Options
    Quest Bars FTW
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get too worked up about sugar or HFCS.

I eat an occasional Cliff Builder's Bar because I like the taste. My kids tend to devour them faster than I can get my hands on them though. Fortunately, I get plenty of protein from the meat and dairy that I consume.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make your own!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are the most filling/best for the calories out there (and I've tried quite a few). A lot of 'protein' bars have less than 12g of protein and are a lot like candy bars. Quest bars have a lot of fiber as well.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks for the suggestions :)
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    quest bar
    life lift bar
    victory bar

all my favorites
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are probably my favorite, but unforunately... they're not very cheap (2 bucks a bar). They taste pretty good, but it's important to note that they're one solid mass of material (like a paste that has hardened)... so don't expect a snicker's like consistency like some other protein bars out there. I also haven't seen them at stores like Walmart of Kroger.

A couple of other, not as healthy options that can be found at walmart:

PowerCrunch: ~180 calories, typically equal fat, carbs, and protein. They're more like wafers, so they're a good change.
    Cliff's builders: ~270 calories. Taste great, but high calories and lots of carbs from sugar. Also has low fiber.
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are my all time favorite!
  • jlcrph
    jlcrph Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars! In my opinion, they have the most fiber and protein for the # of calories. Try the Coconut Cashew and Chocolate Brownie.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    They should call them carb bars lol
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I like these: http://www.pureprotein.net/pages/products.aspx?sku=045887

They don't taste as bad as most, they have 31 g of protein and 3 g of sugar. I do try to eat as unprocessed as possible, though, and protein bars are processed to the hilt. These will do in a pinch, but much better to have a nice lean piece of meat. :)
  • karenh3585
    karenh3585 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Perfect Food bars! There's not one ingredient in them that you can't pronounce or know what it is. All natural, gluten-free, high in protein, NO GMO's! They're made here in sunny San Diego (woot woot). They are super yummy, have the consistency of cookie dough (nummy) and although they're relatively high in calories (anywhere from low 200's to low 300's depending on the flavor), they fill you up (I will have one for an entire meal and be completely satisfied). I get mine at Costco -- look in the refrigerated aisle.

http://www.perfectfoodsbar.com/
  • suejersey
    suejersey Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are awesome! Vitamin Shoppe carries them and I also purchase from Amazon and Quest's website.
    Oh Yeah! bars are good, too.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    looks like quest is winning. i'll have to check them out when I go to the store next
  • FJcntdwn2sknyluv
    FJcntdwn2sknyluv Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars FTW

YES !! Quest bars are the BOMB they are Amazing!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    That's funny, I eat KIND bars for a filler, but I was telling a friend of mines, that I want to try the QUEST bars, because I heard that they were the best for you. NOW... I am on a serious search to find some!
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Quest:) Lots o' protein, not as many calories as some other big brands, and they're not terrible tasting
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Quest bars are probably my favorite, but unforunately... they're not very cheap (2 bucks a bar). They taste pretty good, but it's important to note that they're one solid mass of material (like a paste that has hardened)... so don't expect a snicker's like consistency like some other protein bars out there. I also haven't seen them at stores like Walmart of Kroger.

You can get them from TFSupplements.com for less than $2/bar if you buy 12 at a time.

True, they're "too tough" right out of the package,... but if you nuke one for 10 or so seconds before eating it you'll be happy.