Any other female with a 33-34 inch torso/waist?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Please tell me it's not just me? It's downright depressing. I have a large frame. I don't have that much fat on my torso/back anymore and could maybe lose 1 inch, if that (my waist measured at 34 this morning... hips are 37 but I still can lose quite a bit there). Everywhere I read about women who have a 26 inch waist or something and I just don't get it. I guess I have a very large torso or something?

I'm wearing a L shirt right now and it's tight, and as I said, I highly doubt I'm going to lose more than 1 inch...

Replies

• swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? If you're on the taller side, you'll likely have a bigger waist no matter what. Otherwise, it could just be your frame- bodies come in all shapes and sizes, after all!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My waist is about 29 and I honesty don't think it can get much smaller, possibly another inch. I know my belly could do though! Like you, I read that other women my height (5'6) have 25" waists and wonder how!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5"!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the measuring tape is running evenly around your belly button area?? Be sure to look in the mirror when you measure -

Also, be sure to measure at different times of the month if you know what I mean...I can gain a full 1.5 inches in my middle two days before i start then poof, it's gone!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 33.5" right now. Also large framed. Still have about 20 lbs. to lose and hope to lose a couple more inches, but I don't think I'll EVER see something in the 20's.

If it makes you feel better, I'm currently a size 8 on the bottom and a 10 on top (usually medium tops).
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    At 5'5", a healthy waist to height ratio is found with a waist anywhere between 26 and 32", so 33" is almost there!

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus (the full table is in the more details about BMI and Body Shape).
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I had a 34 inch waist. It's around 28.5 inches right now. Don't stress it. Just keep eating healthily & getting in your cardio and weight lifting and your waist measurement will go down.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your natural waist or where your pants sit? When you buy clothes like tops and dresses, your natural waist is what the size charts refer to.

If you're concerned about your waist to height ratio, pretty sure they mean your natural waist, which is the narrowest part of your torso or where you bend when you do "my little teapot."

I used to get "That's not my waist!" constantly when I worked in bridal.
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    People have different body shapes. Some people are more of an apple and some are more of a pear. You are getting healthy so your waist measurement will probably go down. I'm a pear shape and my weight is in the normal range. My waist is 27.5 and my hips are 40 inches. They look big no matter what. I've made my peace with my thick thighs.
  • indiebreadkid
    indiebreadkid Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My natural waist (right under my ribs) is 34
    My stomach (around my belly button) is 39

Yes, I still have weight to lose but my ribs are fairly wide and I am 6'0ft
    I don't see my natural waist getting any smaller because of that

I just checked my bmi waist-height ratio that endoftheside suggested and it said my waist should be 49,
    looks like its better then I thought!
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and my waist is 33". As I continue to lose, I find I'm losing everywhere EXCEPT for my waist, and starting to look too thin everywhere else, so I've decided to maintain where I am (bounce between 150-153 lbs).
  • shelbelw
    shelbelw Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", and when I was at my best, my measurements were 38-32-40 (size 12/14). Now I'm about 43-44-45 (size 18). I know for sure I will never have a waist in the 20s!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm 5'5" and have a 33.5" waist. Have your body fat measured and if that's in a healthy range, don't worry about your waist.
  • hevurxo
    hevurxo Posts: 27
    Options
    OP: Im 5ft 7 and my waist is 28 while my hips are 36 so theres a massive difference there, at least all your measurements are more equal! you'll be all balanced in the right places :-)
  • kasimarie29
    kasimarie29 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have a 38 1/2 in waist... don't feel bad..
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Im 5'3 , 155 lbs and 34" waist. At 140 it was 30 and at 130 it was 27. I'd imagine if I got to 115 it would be 23-25".
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, my waist is 36" right now...I used to be one of those chicks that had a 25" waist :-(