Dinner ideas for soccer practice nights?

Options
mdcoug
mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
So I need to do a better job feeding my daughters (7 & 9 years old) dinner after school and before soccer practice. Since I work during the day, my options are limited. I'll have maybe 10-15 min. between picking them up from aftercare and having to leave for soccer practice to grab something. Bedtime is at 8:30, so not a lot of time after for dinner either. Oh, and we can only do pistachios, cashews and almonds; no other tree nuts or peanuts.

Given all of that, any ideas on what can I pack for them that will fuel them for practice? Any ideas for post-practice snacks? I figure I can pack dinners and snacks the night before. Tonight is going to be Subway, but that will get old and expensive fast.

This would be easier if they weren't so picky. Sometimes I think feeding the kids is one of the hardest things about parenthood (talk to me in 5 years though and I'm sure I'll change my mind).

Replies

• islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot/slow cooker? If you have time in the morning, you could start dinner then and it would be ready when you get home.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crockpot/slow cooker? If you have time in the morning, you could start dinner then and it would be ready when you get home.

I do, but I think I need a new one. Everytime I've used it, it's scorched or overcooked the food. Plus, I leave before 8, which means food would need to be in there for 12 hours. We wouldn't have time to eat a hot meal, I don't think, before practice.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Hamburger helper
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Right now, I'm going to do sandwiches and fruit. Hopefully we can get some more ideas.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I do, but I think I need a new one. Everytime I've used it, it's scorched or overcooked the food. Plus, I leave before 8, which means food would need to be in there for 12 hours. We wouldn't have time to eat a hot meal, I don't think, before practice.

You can use a Christmas tree light timer to turn your slow cooker on just in time. Just be sure you're not leaving ingredients out that need to be refrigerated.

My suggestion is split pea soup with carrots, celery, onion, and parsnips. You can cook that until forever and it's still great. Plus you can scoop it into a thermos bottle and take it with you, if you don't want to wait until after practice.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    almond butter and jelly sandwiches, turkey and cheese sandwiches.

You can make spaghetti the night before, put leftover noodles in cold water in a glass bowl and then place in fridge. Next day, take noodles out, put in a bowl, pour spaghetti sauce over it and reheat. I also buy the individual mac and cheese bowls (my daughter likes the broccoli mac and cheese) and they can be microwaved as well. Chop up some veggies or fruit the night before practice and the kids can munch on that with their dinner. My daughter has learned to eat in the car. However, in the current heat that we have, she can't eat a large meal before her 1.5hour practice. On nights her practice is at 5, she eats a sandwich and then she eats a snack on the way home (I leave during her practice and run errands, etc.) or when she gets home.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Doesn't always have to be "Dinner food" You could make up a bunch of healthy sandwiches and fruit and eat it before you leave, At night cook a bunch of chicken and then just pop it in the microwave and serve over pasta or salad.... I have 3 Very active boys and we never know when we will be home or on the go... I prepare a lot of meals a head of time and put them in plastic containers so they can just heat one up real fast before heading out the door... You could even do all the cooking on sunday and have it all lined up and ready to for the week in plastic containers.....
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I forgot.... pick up some zbar (kid friendly) protein bars. My daughter loves the brownie ones and they are filling. I don't give her the fiber one bars because that just causes gas and belly pain for her.
  • dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Running issue in our household as well. You can do a variety of sandwiches that you can prep ahead of time, granola bars/fiber bars, fruit / veggies that you can dip in yogurt or hummus, chunks of cheese/crackers/salami (or any other lunch meat to make mini sandwiches that are fun), make sandwiches in pita pockets for variety, drinkable soups you can put in a thermos (especially as it gets colder).

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Good Luck
  • jodynolte
    jodynolte Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Can you make ahead of time taco meat or maidrite meat and can just throw in the microwave when you get home with some cut veggies or whatever? Not sure if they like tuna or chicken salad for sandwiches... just a couple of ideas.. good luck! Been there. Done that!:happy:
  • SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    One of my go to dinners is salsa chicken. Now it helps to have a programmable crock pot. I put frozen chicken and just top it with salsa I cook it on low for 8 hrs once it is done my crock pot kicks to warm. We make tacos, burritos or just put it on a salad. I do the same thing with Italian dressing fat free and have it with pre-made southern caviar ( corn and black eye pea dip we eat as a side more often the not).
  • kenzie0884
    kenzie0884 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have containers that are great for portable salads (all of the fixings go on top), soups, sandwiches, etc... That's what I use whenever I am eating on the go. I've also been known to have a cooler filled with grapes, bananas, hummus, etc... Just act like you're packing a lunch, only for dinner.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for dinner is always a lifesaver. Good quality frozen meatballs are fast and easy (side of veggies). Pasta with veggies thrown in, quesadillas are fast, a good sandwich with a side of raw veggies and dip. I work full time and usually don't get home til after 7, leaving my man to handle all 3 kids so an hour or so of prep work on Sunday nights to have things ready and easy to prepare. I chop up veggies, portion out and sometimes even pre-cook chicken, arrange the fridge and freezer so everything is easily grabbed, etc.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Slow cooker and stir fries are a staple in this house on school nights lol Otherwise it's open box, place in over, wait 20 minutes and eat. Not ideal.

^ Yes, I love Breakfast for dinner! And Mexican is usually an easy fix too.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hamburger helper

^^^^This. I use this website to make my own packages of homemade hamburger helper...much healthier than the boxed stuff and just as easy.

http://chickensintheroad.com/cooking/homemade-hamburger-helper/
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Make French toast the night before and warm it up in the microwave. Serve with jam (instead of syrup) and cottage cheese for a delicious, low sugar, protein packed meal.