Running: whats wrong with competing against others?

In the world of adult running (5ks, marathons, triathlons, etc.) I often hear people say how you are only racing yourself and not to worry about what times other people are running. For me personally the only appeal of these types of races is to 'race' against the other people around me and see if I can catch that person just ahead of me and whatnot. Obviously I'm not going to take it too seriously if I finish 500th out of 800 or whatever, but I really enjoy racing the people who are around my same running level. I can't stand just running all by myself and only racing my personal time.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    I agree. That's the appeal of the race. And, when you're over 50 it feels really good to beat the majority of people under 40.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    I think people just say that because most people who are running are not going to win a race. So it makes more sense to improve your time.

Not that there is anything wrong with competing with someone else!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Nothing wrong with it at all. For most people in a race, the standard they are going for is a PR. That is where the "racing against yourself" comes from. The faster runners (in each age group) usually are more concerned with placing and will get into tactical races to try and win their AG. I wind up doing both. Most of my season is part of our local race series (mostly 5k - 10k). There finish placement, against a known group of guys my age, is everything and I'm most concerned with just beating them. That often means slower times than I might have run that day if time was the only factor. A handful of races each year I pick to just go after a time - usually a PR.

Both are fun from my perspective. Nothing wrong with either one.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    I do it and I'm a slow runner/walker. My goal is to beat the other walkers. I say if it keeps you motivated then go ahead and do it. So long as you aren't being a butt about it. No show boating and making fun of others who have given their 100%. Not that I'm saying you are, but I have seen some people do it.
  • Rastamann
    Rastamann Posts: 139 Member
    Nothing! If you do enough, you'll find that group that's always running up on your shoulders at the last mile or just in front of you. I try to catch them every time. That's how you get PR's. Win/Win :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Nothing. Obviously you have those runs where its a miracle that you just finish, but I always run faster when I am trying to catch someone or there is a person on my heels. I like being made better by those around me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I do know some people who hate racing because they hate to lose. They are so competitive it takes the fun out of it. I like a little friendly competition. When I started racing, i couldnt care less if someone was coming behind me and passing, now I have a little more drive. There are always a few people I know who are around my pace of a but faster that I am trying to catch but at the end of the day, my first priority is to beat my previous time.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    I do both and nothing wrong with it at all! Whatever motivates you! Plus some other people in your shoes so they need YOU to race against! ;)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Nothing wrong with being competitive, one of the things I love about the body markings at a triathlon is that when I pass someone they know they've been passed by a 57 year old!

I suspect, however, the true spirit behind competing against yourself is the constant striving for improvement. You can't control how others train or eat etc but you are in control of yourself.

As a middle of the pack runner I don't take things too seriously.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    I don't think the point of saying "you are only racing yourself and not to worry about what times other people are running" is that you shouldn't actually be competitive in a race setting. I think the point is that (particularly for endurance events) you need to run your own race based on your training and abilities; which may mean that you don't go out with the fastest people off the start line, but rather hold back, pace smartly, and smile as you pass them later in the race, knowing that you executed your pacing plan. That's what it has always meant to me, anyway; whether when I was a serious competitive swimmer when I was younger or am hacking around in running, as I do today.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Competition makes me work harder.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    I'm confused. Don't they give out medals for first second and third place in the Olympics? Obviously there's some competitive nature there.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    You better believe that if you are within my view during a race, we are damn sure racing.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    You better believe that if you are within my view during a race, we are damn sure racing.

I've seen your paces. We aren't racing.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Go for it, if it motivates you. I personally am thrilled for other runners and prefer beating my PRs .
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    The "you're only competing against yourself" mindset if good for not getting discouraged because someone else can do a sub-20 minute 5K and you can only go sub 40minute. The whole compete against yourself thing is about progress and seeing how far you've come not how far you have to go. Doesn't mean that you shouldn't ever compete with anyone but competition is only fun, healthy and useful if you are competing against people on or close to your own level.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    I think people say that because for a lot of people, if they're trying to keep up with other people who may be in much better condition with them, they are going to end up burning out and not being able to finish the race! Nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition though :)
  • Personally I like using runners in front of me to "pull" me along so that I go faster, and hopefully pass them. I run much faster in races because of the competitive atmosphere. It's always nice to beat your friends :-)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    In the world of adult running (5ks, marathons, triathlons, etc.) I often hear people say how you are only racing yourself and not to worry about what times other people are running. For me personally the only appeal of these types of races is to 'race' against the other people around me and see if I can catch that person just ahead of me and whatnot. Obviously I'm not going to take it too seriously if I finish 500th out of 800 or whatever, but I really enjoy racing the people who are around my same running level. I can't stand just running all by myself and only racing my personal time.

There is always one person I have to beat. No reason, I don't know them and chances are will never see them again, but somehow i have selected them to race against and they don't even know it.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    "You're only competeing with yourself, " is what we tell the new people to encourage them to sign up for races and see how awesome it is.

If this were completely true, there would be no need to sign up for races we could all just work on beating our own times on our usual routes. We enter races because of the other people, to be a part of the competitive spirit even if we have no hope of winning a race or placing in our age category (me, I'm not fast).

When I'm in a shorter race, I usually push my 3 y.o. in the jogger. I start at the very back and have to make my way up. Sometimes it feels like I'm in a one on one race with everyone I pass. I can tell when people start pushing themselves so as not to be passed by the lady with the baby carriage. As long as they are doing it in good fun and not blocking me from passing I welcome the competition.

I actually like starting a the back and passing people. I'd rather pass then be passed. And when I'm running races with the jogger, I know I'm not going to beat myself, so I might as well beat other people instead.