the DUKAN diet

hey guys,

anybody have any experience with the Dukan diet?
the side-effects, the good things you experienced....?

i did some research, but then i figured that a lot of succes stories might be just a marketing-strategy, so your answer is probably more reliable!

thanks in advance

Replies

• I've been following the Dukan diet since early June and am down 40 pounds (lost 10 of that before going full-out on the Dukan program). I haven't had any negative side effects. I enjoy the fact that I can eat when I'm hungry as long as I stay with the plan for that day, and don't have to count calories.

I know a few others who have had successes on this plan as well - some who are still losing and some who have moved into the consolidation phase. I also like that Dr. Dukan provides a plan for transitioning from the weight loss stage to the maintenance stage. I would suggest reading his book about the Diet - it's very straightforward and offers clear guidance and reasoning.
  • Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    I read this as the Dunkin' diet and got excited.

.....leaving for lack of donuts. :grumble:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    If one can stick to it's restriction for LIFE, the kudos to them. If one is using it just as a means of losing weight, statistics (like for basically all diets) is that 90% can't adhere to the lifestyle of that diet and end up regaining significant amount of weight.

Pick a diet you'll do for life. For the general population, it would be a diet that they can still have what they like, while staying within a calorie limit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I read this as the Dunkin' diet and got excited.

.....leaving for lack of donuts. :grumble:

This.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    If one can stick to it's restriction for LIFE, the kudos to them. If one is using it just as a means of losing weight, statistics (like for basically all diets) is that 90% can't adhere to the lifestyle of that diet and end up regaining significant amount of weight.

Pick a diet you'll do for life. For the general population, it would be a diet that they can still have what they like, while staying within a calorie limit.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I've read the dukan diet (a friend was doing it). Phase 3 or whatever he calls it, is basically a whole foods diet. Sounds pretty do-able to me. But then, I don't eat donuts.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    I did it a couple of years ago and lost 30 pounds. Stopped doing it and gained the weight back. It is like anything else burn more than you eat. Life style is a better option for me.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member

IDEA Fitness member

this. I originally started off restricting my carbs because I genuinely believed they were the problem and my blood sugar swings were to blame for my being overweight. It's true my sugar cravings disappeared but I couldn't deprive myself for life. I knew that. I started adding back all the carbs I loved and watching my calories and the transition from low carb to IIFYM was very smooth and painless. My advice to you is to start how you intend to go forward but if you want to try it and can't stick to it... change your goals don't give up on them. If it wasn't for a few people on MFP whose delivery is notoriously sketchy (you guys know who you are lol) I would probably be eating a large pizza saying "to hell with it" because I had 'failed' my plan. Now I have no shame in any foods I eat and the only way I will fail is if I stop moving towards my goals, which is impossible now that I know how simple it is.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    I've been following the Dukan diet since early June and am down 40 pounds (lost 10 of that before going full-out on the Dukan program). I haven't had any negative side effects. I enjoy the fact that I can eat when I'm hungry as long as I stay with the plan for that day, and don't have to count calories.

I know a few others who have had successes on this plan as well - some who are still losing and some who have moved into the consolidation phase. I also like that Dr. Dukan provides a plan for transitioning from the weight loss stage to the maintenance stage. I would suggest reading his book about the Diet - it's very straightforward and offers clear guidance and reasoning.

Let's see...

Account almost three years old, first post, no one on FL, no profile, no diary... seems legit.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    D umb
    U nneccessary
    K akamaimy (spelling)
    A trocious
    N on Sensical
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    OP: you might want to look for a group. There are a few dukan groups. Folks there may be able to answer your questions. Most folks reading this thread have never learned anything about Dukan, his diet, or what's involved.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    If one can stick to it's restriction for LIFE, the kudos to them...

blah

The Dukan is a very reasonable lifetime diet, unlike many others.
  • I have been on the Dukan program since April 2012 (16 months). I am only a small statured person and would have been happy with 7kg loss but ended up losing over 10kg and have kept it off. It's a good program (I avoid the word "diet" because the program is for life). Most people are put off doing it when they realise it is for life, however if we lose weight do we want to keep it off temporarily or for life? The answer to that is obvious. My option was for life, so the last phase of the program is to eat normally for 6 days per week(normally meaning using the new discipline just obtained from the first 3 phases of the program) and one pure protein day per week, in addition adding 3 tablespoons of oatbran to your diet each day. It's not hard, however the one pure protein day can get a bit tedious and my remedy for that was to use the 500 calorie fast day from the 5:2 Fast Diet as an alternative. This seems to work to and puts a stop to the boredom.

I think both of these programs are sustainable for the long term, but really, if one is to embark on a new way of eating and resolve to lose weight and keep it off, one has to be in the right zone to do it in the first place. Half-hearted attempts don't work and it's certainly not a good thing having a half-hearted attempt at something then go around saying it doesn't work.