Looking for low carb breads and bagels

Options
StephannieL
StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
I LOVE my bread and bagels but would like to cut down on the carbs BUT still be able to eat bread and bagels from time to time. Any suggestions on low carb breads and bagels?

Atkins used to have some out not sure if they do now or not. And I'm wondering if I'd have better luck in a Co-op or natural foods store as we don't have a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods anywhere near where I live.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Maisylouise2
    Maisylouise2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just came across Tumaro's wraps at the grocery store. Assorted flavored and very low in carbs & calories. Example- the Garden Veggie wraps see 60 calories each with just 2grams of fat, no cholesterol, & 12grams of carbs. Low sodium too. Delish!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why you want to go low-carb?
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm considered a type 2 diabetic so I have to watch my carbs. Bread is my downfall. LOL
  • l0sing_it
    Options
    Flatout Flat bread, Linda's Diet Delights (bagels)

Here is a recipe for low carb pumpkin bread
    http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2012/11/pumpkin-coconut-bread-bobs-red-mill-guest-post.html

Or you can try oopsies!
    http://www.food.com/recipe/oopsie-bread-497736

Both recipes are great for diabetics!
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I love the FlatOut wraps. I use them to make flat bread pizza, sandwiches, "pita"chips, etc. They're great. Carbzero also has a good bread.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    These are the only low carb breads I've seen. Franz 100%wholewheat thinwiches, 100Cal, 22gCarb, 7g Fiber
    and then Sara lee 45 calories and delightful bread, 45 cal, 9g Carb, 2g Fiber
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the suggestions of the Flatout bread and the 45 calorie Sara Lee bread. I'm not low-carb myself, but I buy these products because I love them so much!

Flatout can also be used to make a totally kickass pizza too :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Re: bagels

Thomas Bagel Thins.... they also make mini bagels .... although these aren't low carb, they are smaller portion sizes. The thins are nice toasted ... you get the chewy crust portion.

Years ago the bagel shop in my city sold "bialys" ..... these were supposed to be lower calorie bagels. What "lower calorie" entailed, I'm not sure. Perhaps you have a bagl shop near you.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Check out rye bread - 70 calories for a slice too long to fit in a toaster! Too, the best part is that rye produces less of an insulin spike as compared to both wheat and white. Love it!
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Re: bagels

Thomas Bagel Thins.... they also make mini bagels .... although these aren't low carb, they are smaller portion sizes. The thins are nice toasted ... you get the chewy crust portion.

Years ago the bagel shop in my city sold "bialys" ..... these were supposed to be lower calorie bagels. What "lower calorie" entailed, I'm not sure. Perhaps you have a bagl shop near you.

Yes! My favorite bagel is the Thin Everything bagel - makes for a great fried egg sandwich when toasted!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use mixes of almond and coconut flours to bake my own breads since wheat products do agree with me (and I enjoy a lower carb lifestyle).

Here's the recipe I use for bagels:

• 1 cup almond flour
    • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
    • 1/2 cup flax seed meal
    • 1/4 cup protein powder (or quinoa flour)
    • 2 teaspoon baking powder
    • 2 eggs
    • 2 Tbsp plain 0% Greek yogurt
    • 2 Tbsp olive oil
    • 3 Tbsp water
    • 2-3 packets Splenda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt

If you want toppings you can add poppy seeds, sesame seeds, onion or garlic flakes, etc. Just sprinkle them on top before you bake.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    2. Mix the dry ingredients together.
    3. Mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, then mix into the dry ingredients.
    4. Mix everything well.
    5. Use a lightly sprayed donut pan to make 6 bagels.
    (I didn't have a donut pan the first time I made the recipe. I used 6 ramikens, popped them onto a baking sheet, and lined them with foil. I then sprayed with cooking spray, then put equal amounts of dough in each. I then wiggled my finger in the middle to spread the dough apart and made a hole.)
    6. Bake for 20 minutes.
    7. Cool completely and store refrigerated.

They tasted good as is, but taste REALLY great when you toast them. I like mine plain (no toppings) with a bit of peanut butter spread on them.

Using MFP's recipe function and with the protein powder I used, the nutrition info for each bagel is:
    Calories – 237
    Carbs – 9g
    Fiber – 6g
    Protein – 12g
    Fat – 19g
    ***3g net carbs***

If you use the quinoa flour instead, the nutrition info per bagel is:
    Calories – 241
    Carbs – 11g
    Fiber – 6g
    Protein – 10g
    Fat – 19g
    ***5g net carbs***

NOTE: If your ramikens are too large, the dough will spread a bit and your bagel will be too thin to easily slice.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Update: I made a batch with sesame seed yesterday and they were pretty good too.
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I also eat low-carb. I have found some low-carb tortillas made by Mission. They are really good. Feel free to add me!
  • stosto77
    stosto77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That pumpkin bread looks yummy!
  • Sara Lee 45 cal bread..I realize that it was mentioned a few times but here's another vote for it! Lol. Also, I just recently discovered fiber one tortilla wraps. Very good!!
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    lol why cut carbs....
  • trackme
    trackme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love bread too. I use the low carb wraps, light English muffins, the 90-100 calorie slender rounds, but my favorite is the Take-and Bake Artisian Whole Grain Breads. They come unsliced. I bake it. Then slice into 1.5 oz pieces, wrap in saran wrap and freeze in a ziploc bag. I use them for open face sandwich's or toasted and topped with a poached egg for breakfast.
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    lol why cut carbs....

She said she's Type 2 Diabetic, that's why.