48 and feeling 28 again

Options
I started coming here in January. I am a 48 year old mother of 2. My boys are 18 and 21. I devoted the last 20 years to being a parent, a singe mother for most of that time. I failed to remember, as so many of us do, that I needed to take care of myself as well. In December of last year, I had had enough when I realized that I had a new home, new husband and some new freedom as my oldest was off at college and my youngest would be soon too, but I was not truly enjoying any of these things because I was the heaviest I had ever been (except while pregnant). I was 144. To some that does not sound bad, but I am only 5'2" and spent most of my young years weighing less than 100. I had kidney stones 3 or 4 times a year, achey joints, headaches, fatigue, trouble sleeping and was heading towards depression. My periods were becoming erratic so I knew I was heading for menopause too. I didn't want to live the rest of my life not feeling healthy. So I went to an integrative medical clinic and asked for help. The blood work showed my cholesterol was now 310 (partially from genetic predisposition), my liver was fatty and I had only trace amounts of vitamin d in my body! No wonder I felt the way I did. I worked with the nutritionist in the office. I began a clean diet of mainly single ingredient, organic foods. I got rid of processed food, sugar and alcohol. I actually found that I loved eating this way, once I detoxed from my previous food choices. I enjoyed a treat now and then...ice cream, a martini...but kept them as special occasion things and only had small amounts. I lost 25 lbs by February 2013. I have continue to eat the same way...mostly lean proteins, fresh veggies and fruits. I make sure I drink water all day, 2 mugs of green tea and the juice of 1 lemon each day. I take vitamin supplements as recommended by my doc. I feel better than I have in 20 years. My nutritionist recommended I use MFP to log my food. I have been shocked at how much it helped me to stay on track and make good choices. I am not always perfect, but I don't try to be. I added in exercise in June of this year. I bought 8 sessions with a weight lifting trainer so I could proper form. Those sessions changed my world. I am strong now! I have biceps! My butt is no longer pancake flat! I also do 30 minutes of cardio and 20 mins of yoga. I work out 3 times a week for two hours and I actually look forward to those days! I don't follow any specific diet per say, but I do keep low carb...below 50 grams a day. It works well for me. I have actually gained 3 lbs since adding the exercise, my low weight was 117, but I expected that so I didn't freak out too much. Actually I would like to see my body fat percentage go down now as I am still sitting at 29 percent at 120 lbs. the truth is, I secretly hope to get to 115 lbs, but not sure my body will allow it. If it happens great, if not, I will just continue to work out and focus on how good I feel.

This site has been a tremendous tool. I've learned how to take care of my body. I have been inspired by the stories I have read and the pictures I have seen of others who have struggled to make positive changes and ultimately found success, as I have. I am close to being all the way through menopause. My kidney stones are less bothersome, my joints no longer ache, my cholesterol is down to 172 with no medication, my skin looks amazing, I sleep better...the list of ways I feel better is endless. Most importantly, I enjoy my life and I am thankful everyday for the people I love, who have been most supportive of me as I figured it all out. They have learned too! I hope my story will encourage other women my age and will show them that there is life...good, and yes sexy life, after kids and menopause. I can't figure out how to post photos in the boards from my iPad, but feel free to look at the photos in my profile...the purple bikini pic was after the weight loss (weight was 117), but before exercise. Black underwear and bra pic was from this week after 3 months of consistent weight lifting and exercise (weight is 120). I think I look like a pretty hot little mama! Incidentally, so does my new hubby!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!
    WAY TO GO!
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me what sorts of recommendations your nutritionist gave you? Both my husband and I have high cholesterol. I've been taking niacin and have lost weight, but I just can't seem to fix my cholesterol.
  • braineblonde
    braineblonde Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use coconut and olive oil to cook...staying away from butter. I eat eggs daily, but only whites. I take niacin daily, but that is the only thing I take specifically for the cholesterol. I try to keep my daily cholesterol intake to 100, but is hard to gt enough protein some days without going over that a bit. The exercise will impact cholesterol levels too. I get rechecked later this week. I will come back her and update the new levels and let you know if they give me any other things fr it. Keep trying to manage your cholesterol without medication, but only with doctor supervision. If mine hadn't responded o diet and exercise, I would have taken a statin because the risks of high levels are not worth it.
  • higgi7
    higgi7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Way to take control! Very inspiring. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow our stories are so similar...my son just graduated college...new husband...time for me again..

and I decided in december of last year too..but just found this site in June...before that it was all me...glad I am here too...

Cheers to us...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!