How many grams of carbs is to many?

Options
I was talking to my sister and she was saying what I eat a day carb wise is to much and will not help me with my weight loss. I'm trying to lose weight so how many grams of carbs should I be eating on a 1500 calorie diet?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Your sister is wrong.

Restriction of carbs is unnecessary to weight loss.

All that is required for weight loss is a caloric deficit.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    You could make your diary public and the lovely people of MFP would be happy to help out. :drinker:
  • jmain2784
    jmain2784 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Your sister is wrong.

I am eating at a calorie deficit, but my sister thought my carbs were a bit too high.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Your sister is wrong.

I am eating at a calorie deficit, but my sister thought my carbs were a bit too high.

Your sister doesn't know what shes talking about.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options

This. I'm sure my carbohydrate amounts will frighten some people, but I still can manage to lose weight.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic?
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I eat between 250 and 350 grams of carbs per day. I've lost over 100 pounds in 6 months. If you are not losing weight, it is not only because you are eating a lot of carbohydrates.

Note that I avoid refined and processed carbohydrates and greatly prefer carbohydrates sources such as brown rice and whole wheat.
  • jmain2784
    Options
    Your sister is wrong.

I wouldn't go that far, but she is more of a "i love meat over carbs" person....don't get me wrong, she is learning about proper eating like i am..

i eat 1500 calories and my macros are set at 55c/25p/20f
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Low carbs work for me!! Don't tell her that her sister is wrong! If you're eating too many carbs or believe that you are cut them..drop them by 50g or more and see what happens.WE ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!!! There's no 1 size fits all approach to losing weight/fat!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    The only way cutting carbs is going to make any substantial difference is if you are insulin sensitive...which many overweight individuals are. This can also be more problematic if you're relatively sedentary and get little exercise. Other than that, carbs are just the newest...latest and greatest dietary demon. One of the reasons it's so popular is that you can dump a bunch of weight fairly quickly...but most of that is water and you come back down to earth just as fast...and as soon as you re-introduce carbs you put the water weight back on.

maybe try doing a 40c/30p/30f split...that's what I did when I was losing and before I really started doing a lot of exercise. Now with my training, I need more carbs.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    If you are eating so many carbs that you aren't close to meeting your protein and fat requirements than you know it is too much!
  • Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask the same thing - whether you are diabetic. I am and my body is incredibly sensitive to carbs, I only have to walk past a loaf of bread and I gain a kilo. Everyone is different and if you are not diabetic good carbs wont be a problem for you in the same way.
  • jmain2784
    Options
    Are you diabetic?

No, I'm not diabetic.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only way cutting carbs is going to make any substantial difference is if you are insulin sensitive...which many overweight individuals are. This can also be more problematic if you're relatively sedentary and get little exercise.

^^^^This. Carbs can be a detriment to weight loss to SOME people. Not all, but SOME. A person doesn't have to be diabetic....just insulin resistant. I was probably insulin resistant for years before I developed diabetes.
  • hannah_d1989
    hannah_d1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don't think your sister is wrong! I understand that people see weight loss as just a calorie deficit, but for some people there's a bit more too it.
    For me, it took me 4 months to lose 3.5 kg with a very healthy diet. Then, eating the same amount of calories but changing what I ate so that I had much less carbs, I lost further 2.5 kg in only 2 weeks. And to me, doesn't matter if it was water weight, a loss is a loss- and as long as the scales keep going down I'm happy! I'm currently having very low carbs, only 20-30 grams per day but allow myself to go over every Saturday.
    Lower your carbs and see if it works for you!
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It depends what form of carbs you eat. It is not true that all that matters is eating at a calorie deficit. The picture is much more complicated than that; a low-glycemic diet helps people lose more weight.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-dieting-not-all-calo

That said, your calorie are too high only if your weight-loss effort isn't working. What's too high i what doesn't do the trick for you. If you're losing at a reasonable rate and you feel good, why mess with that? What more and more diet research is pointing to is that there is no one answer and that the true trick to having American shed its obesity problem is by helping people find what works for them, and what they can stick with.

It's not a bad idea to experiment a bit and try lowering your carbs to see if you like that and it's useful to you, just as you might want to play with all kind of factors involving food and exercise. But in the end, you're your own best expert.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am an absolute firm believer that if you don't have underlying medical issues (diabetes, etc.) there is absolutely zero reason to limit your carbs.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am an absolute firm believer that if you don't have underlying medical issues (diabetes, etc.) there is absolutely zero reason to limit your carbs.

Another reason would be to increase satiety. For folks who find they can't stick to a calorie-reduction plan w low satiety/high carb.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    If you are eating so many carbs that you aren't close to meeting your protein and fat requirements than you know it is too much!

^This. If you're not diabetic, IR, etc. then I wouldn't worry much about carbs as long as you're getting enough protein and fat. I don't think that's likely if your carbs are set to 55%. Your fat seems awfully low.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    It depends what form of carbs you eat. It is not true that all that matters is eating at a calorie deficit. The picture is much more complicated than that; a low-glycemic diet helps people lose more weight.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=when-dieting-not-all-calo

That said, your calorie are too high only if your weight-loss effort isn't working. What's too high i what doesn't do the trick for you. If you're losing at a reasonable rate and you feel good, why mess with that? What more and more diet research is pointing to is that there is no one answer and that the true trick to having American shed its obesity problem is by helping people find what works for them, and what they can stick with.

It's not a bad idea to experiment a bit and try lowering your carbs to see if you like that and it's useful to you, just as you might want to play with all kind of factors involving food and exercise. But in the end, you're your own best expert.

Did you actually read the full study referenced? Notice anything interesting about the results?