Orthostatic Hypotension from exercise or Diet?

Options
I think I might have Orthostatic Hypotension?

Over the last month or so I've been experience dizzyness in the evenings when I get up fast.

For some reason this mostly Happens after i get off the couch.

I've been going pretty hard. I'm cycling 4-5 hundred miles a month now.

I remember this happening before but not with this regularaty.

What can I do to decrease this?

Replies

• cmoore806
    Options
    Im a nurse. wait a minute before getting up (ie just sit there). I think you are probably dehydrated and that might account for a lower volume of blood. Typically you could become orthostatic when on specific medications (diuretics, blood pressure meds, etc) but in your case it could be that your blood is in your legs instead of your head. I dont think you'd necessarily qualify for the official diagnosis of being orthostatic but it wouldnt hurt to hydrate and take your time getting up =)
  • CaseyM1985
    CaseyM1985 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water may help..

You may also want to see your healthcare provider to make sure there is no underlying cause (other than being dehydrated due to working out so much).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Don't go on the couch.:laugh:

It's not uncommon, however if you're worried about it, then consult a physician.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beautifulchange
    Options
    Be sure you're drinking plenty of water. Not drinking an adequate amount of fluids can result in orthostatic hypotension. The more fluids you take in, the larger your blood volume will be. This helps increase blood pressure and therefore, can help prevent orthostatic hypotension. Also, sometimes a diet that is too low in sodium can contribute to this.
    Before getting up from the couch or bed for instance, try sitting on the edge with your feet on the floor for a minute or two before standing. This can help your body adjust to the change in posture.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I think I might have Orthostatic Hypotension?

Over the last month or so I've been experience dizzyness in the evenings when I get up fast.

For some reason this mostly Happens after i get off the couch.

I've been going pretty hard. I'm cycling 4-5 hundred miles a month now.

I remember this happening before but not with this regularaty.

What can I do to decrease this?

Nice that we've got some medical professionals willing to give us the benefit of their expertise. Thank you!

Interesting that you happen to mention that issue - "Waterlogged", the book about how too much water kills people, talks about runners (the subjects of his studies are runners) suffering from hypotension when they stop suddenly at the end of a race.

As Dr Noakes discusses, one of the benefits of exercise is that you improve you the blood supply to the legs. In the case of runners, and I would assume that bike riders undergo similar changes, is that the increased capacity in the lower limbs has an impact when runners get to the finish line and STOP running.

At this point, there's so much blood in the lower extremities that they're more susceptible to hypotension and, "Timber!", over they go. The treatment is simply to raise the feet above the heart and allow the runner to recover naturally.

So, it's possible that your efforts are paying off (increased blood capacity in the legs) but there's a downside, as well.

And I finally get to see the "Doc, it hurts when I cough. Don't cough!" skit played out in real life. ;-)
  • MellyLikestoRun
    MellyLikestoRun Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue and actually passed out face forward while using the bathroom in the middle of the night. I wouldn't advise it. :) Anyhow, after a full medical exam, etc. it was suggested that I drink a lot more water and stop jumping up to do things. Is your blood pressure on the low side? Mine is, and that seems to make me more prone to dizzy spells. Best of luck to you.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I seem to recall that as individuals get fitter and their resting heart rate decreases there is an increased tendency for orthostatic hypotension.

Am I recalling that correctly or not? A brief google search turned up some results that inferred that but nobody came right out and said they were related.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen too. I actually talked to my doctor on a couple of occasions too, and she knows that I'm a big exerciser. She also told me that this can happen in fit individuals due to low resting heart rate. Basically, you stand up so fast that your heart doesn't have time to beat and pump sufficient blood up to your head. The solution is to stand up more slowly and pause for just a second before you start to walk, just to give your heart time to beat. That should be long enough, because your heart will pump a good hard pump and send a lot of blood up to your brain.

I think it kinda sucks that when we get really fit we actually have to take it easier!! :grumble:
  • Possible_Infinity
    Possible_Infinity Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, glad to know I'm not the only one.

I'm going to just deal at this point, I have my annual checkup in October and I'll bring it up then.