Time to get real.

Options
Hello. Frankly, I am terrified. Once again, my weight has ballooned to the 300 pound borderline. I can usually tell when it gets up there by the number of Protonix and Zantac I need to take in order to squelch the acid reflux that goes into high gear when the weight swells above the 280 mark. I think of my (now deceased) doctor who warmed me that most cardiac emergency rooms do not have tables that can accommodate bodies over 300.

I tried weight loss programs like Jenny and WW, those were both fine for the short term, but it just gets too... boring. The same stuff over and over and over again. The last time I successfully lost (and kept off ) the weight, I had only me as my motivator and as the gauge. Back then, I was a single, apartment dweller. My buddies were all gym-bots, and when we were not in the gym, we were out running or cycling like maniacs. That was then (20 years ago). Yes, I know increasing metabolism is absolutely important, but life intervenes, especially when you have a home and sundry matters around there that requires upkeep and a job that demands attention.

My mission is quite simple; lose weight within the constructs of my life today. I can carve 2.5 hours a week for exercise. I can and do eat very well crafted, sensible meals. But I do splurge. Ice cream. Chocolate candy. Bread. Butter. Alcohol (not in abundance). Occasional sides of fries.

So here I am. I am not counting points, or eating my purple plan foods. I am going back to the 1980's; I hope the tools of this website will allow me to keep my calories in check. Yes. Calories. I want my energy... my life... back. I want to look down and see body parts I would like to see, not just the tips of my toes and the top half of the weight readout on my scale.

I am in Tiverton RI, if there is anyone in the region who wants to commiserate, drop me a note.

Thanks!
Rade

Replies

• katelyn002
    katelyn002 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey... it deff sounds like your motivated and this site is great for some extr motivation.... work at it and you will succeed!
    Welcome :)
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You are definitely in the right place to attain your goals!! The tools and the people here are AMAZING!! I've also tried every diet under the sun - this is the only one that has worked for me without seeming like work! Good for you for taking that first step and deciding YOU ARE WORTH IT!!
  • lesleyuk
    Options
    Not from your area but weight just under 300lbs. Joined MFP three weeks ago. Weighed myself once and lost 3 pounds - Monday is my day for weighing so will know tomorrow how much I have lost this week. I think this is the place to work out how to lose weight and keep it off long term. Look forward to seeing your progress - good luck
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP. This really is the way to go, no zone, atkins, ww, jenny for me. Eating real food, that has real calories, and fat and carbs, not points. What is a freaking point anyway???? I find comfort in the numbers, in teh limits and bounds of the super simple diet. I'm not a diet culture kinda girl. Fads and pills just don't work right.
    I'm happy to say that i was a fabulous 264 back in february and am a slightly smaller 211 today. I've got another 30 to drop by christmas and then around another forty after that i think. Its just so easy when you want it. And by easy, i mean really really hard and fabulsoulsy rewarding!
    I'm in new bedford ma. So, not too too far! If you need anything, just holler!
  • raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    Hey Rade, I currently live in Georgia, but am from Newport RI, feel free to add me. Also, my husband is from Tiverton :) He's on here, too: his username is evilcat666. We've both had a lot of success on MFP and would be happy to support you.
  • blbond82
    Options
    Hi and welcome! I started last week just below the 270 mark. I'm so not a WW, Jenny or any other "program" kinda girl. Like you said, they're great for short term but they don't teach you how to handle real-life, every day food. I've always hated calorie counting until I found this site. It makes it so easy. And, like others, I love having that structure and the limits in place. I know exactly how much I can "spend" each day in food but I have freedom in how I want to spend it.

I don't have a whole lot of free time either. I walk/jog for 30 minutes 3 times a week and IF I have time I will throw in some extra walking or some Tai Chi. But that dedicated 1 1/2 hours a week really does make a difference.

I'm down in Maryland so not super close but feel free to friend me.
  • rad02878
    Options
    Thank you, folks, for the words of encouragement. I know I can do it; I just have to make up my mind. Looking forward to tracking my progress each week.
  • eureka1951
    eureka1951 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You want to see body parts? I love it!!!! This tells me you have a great sense of humor Rade!! I think we need that more than anything. If we can laugh at ourselves we have it made. Life is to be enjoyed to the fullest and I love a good belly laugh. I just don't wanna see my belly moving so much. LOL!!! We are here for you and wishing you great success!! Let's not look at the number - let's look at how we are feeling when we exercise and make right choices! We can do this!!!