Peanut Butter stunting my weight loss?

Options
I think i'm starting to notice that on days that I eat peanut butter on whole wheat bread, my wheat hovers around 133 lbs but when I do not have peanut butter for a whole day, I am at least 1 to 2 lbs lower.

Can the fats from peanut butter be a cause of my slower than usual weight loss?

Replies

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No. I will let others who are better at explaining why chime in. But daily weight fluctuations cannot be associated with one food. Unless you ate an additional 3500 calories worth of peanut butter in one day, the scale will not provide any indication of your having eaten peanut butter.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Maybe youre having some mild allergic or inflammatory response to it?
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    IMO just daily weight fluctuations. My guess would be from the bread carbs....i eat peanut butter daily and that doesent happen to me.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    As long as it is within your calories, no.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I think i'm starting to notice that on days that I eat peanut butter on whole wheat bread, my wheat hovers around 133 lbs but when I do not have peanut butter for a whole day, I am at least 1 to 2 lbs lower.

Highly unlikely unless you are eating one or two pounds of peanut butter in a sitting.
    An interesting fact is that despite their high calorific content, nut consumption, inc peanuts, are not associated with weight gain. (citations on request).
    kind regards,

Ben
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Highly unlikely unless you are eating one or two pounds of peanut butter in a sitting.
    An interesting fact is that despite their high calorific content, nut consumption, inc peanuts, are not associated with weight gain. (citations on request).
    kind regards,

Ben

Ben-
    As a vegetarian who eats my fair share of nuts/beans/legumes and is presently trying to bulk, I would be interested in your citations, should you have the time. Thanks.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I have peanut butter daily, and I have no issue with weight loss, so IMO the problem is somewhere else in your diet.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    It is water weight from carbs, which are hydrophilic, attracting 3g water for every gram of carbs. That's not actual weight; you're not losing or gaining fat, and as long as you are staying in your allotted calories, no food is keeping you from losing.
  • TiaraSeamonkey
    TiaraSeamonkey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try PB2, I LOVE the stuff and it is real peanuts!! I mix it in my shakes!
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    no, but if it has high sodium then it may be making you hold water
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    IMO just daily weight fluctuations. My guess would be from the bread carbs....i eat peanut butter daily and that doesent happen to me.

This. Next time get a spoonful of Peanut Butter and see if you get the same result. My money's on no.
  • Dechant63
    Options
    No, not possible it's from that. Unless the bread is also not in your normal diet then it could be water weight from more carbs than normal.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options

kind regards,

Ben

Ben-
    As a vegetarian who eats my fair share of nuts/beans/legumes and is presently trying to bulk, I would be interested in your citations, should you have the time. Thanks.

Hi Mantium

Thanks for your interest. I actually went vegan about four weeks ago after discovering the incontrovertible evidence of the health-benefits of a wholefoods plant-based diet. Like you, totally surprised by nuts and that they do not appear to be associated with weight gain. It doesn't surprise me that people are incredulous about it.

The best thing for you to do is to follow this link:

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nuts-and-obesity-the-weight-of-evidence/

Its a short video (2-3m) where the author, Dr Michael Greger, goes through the peer reviewed evidence. Its the first in a series of about five videos on nuts. The next video in the series (to the right of the main video window) is "Solving the mystery of the missing calories".
    On a more personal note - since going on wholefoods plant-based diet I am eating no fewer calories yet I am losing more weight - and I have not increased my energy expenditure. Its bizarre - but I am not complaining.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/nuts-and-obesity-the-weight-of-evidence/

Citations
    (Also available under the sources cited link under the video)

Natoli S, McCoy P. A review of the evidence: nuts and body weight. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16(4):588-97.

Martínez-González MA, Bes-Rastrollo M. Nut consumption, weight gain and obesity: Epidemiological evidence. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 Jun;21 Suppl 1:S40-5.

Alper CM, Mattes RD. Effects of chronic peanut consumption on energy balance and hedonics. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2002 Aug;26(8):1129-37.

Sabaté J, Cordero-Macintyre Z, Siapco G, Torabian S, Haddad E. Does regular walnut consumption lead to weight gain? Br J Nutr. 2005 Nov;94(5):859-64.

Fraser GE, Bennett HW, Jaceldo KB, Sabaté J. Effect on body weight of a free 76 Kilojoule (320 calorie) daily supplement of almonds for six months. J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Jun;21(3):275-83.

Almario RU, Vonghavaravat V, Wong R, Kasim-Karakas SE. Effects of walnut consumption on plasma fatty acids and lipoproteins in combined hyperlipidemia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2001 Jul;74(1):72-9.

Lovejoy JC, Most MM, Lefevre M, Greenway FL, Rood JC. Effect of diets enriched in almonds on insulin action and serum lipids in adults with normal glucose tolerance or type 2 diabetes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):1000-6.

Morgan WA, Clayshulte BJ. Pecans lower low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in people with normal lipid levels. J Am Diet Assoc. 2000 Mar;100(3):312-8.

Garg ML, Blake RJ, Wills RB. Macadamia nut consumption lowers plasma total and LDL cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic men. J Nutr. 2003 Apr;133(4):1060-3.

Rajaram S, Burke K, Connell B, Myint T, Sabaté J. A monounsaturated fatty acid-rich pecan-enriched diet favorably alters the serum lipid profile of healthy men and women. J Nutr. 2001 Sep;131(9):2275-9.

Jenkins DJ, Kendall CW, Marchie A, Parker TL, Connelly PW, Qian W, Haight JS, Faulkner D, Vidgen E, Lapsley KG, Spiller GA. Dose response of almonds on coronary heart disease risk factors: blood lipids, oxidized low-density lipoproteins, lipoprotein(a), homocysteine, and pulmonary nitric oxide: a randomized, controlled, crossover trial. Circulation. 2002 Sep 10;106(11):1327-32.

Claesson AL, Holm G, Ernersson A, Lindström T, Nystrom FH. Two weeks of overfeeding with candy, but not peanuts, increases insulin levels and body weight. Scand J Clin Lab Invest. 2009;69(5):598-605.

Foster GD, Shantz KL, Vander Veur SS, Oliver TL, Lent MR, Virus A, Szapary PO, Rader DJ, Zemel BS, Gilden-Tsai A. A randomized trial of the effects of an almond-enriched, hypocaloric diet in the treatment of obesity. Am J Clin Nutr. 2012 Aug;96(2):249-54.

Casas-Agustench P, Bulló M, Ros E, Basora J, Salas-Salvadó J; Nureta-PREDIMED investigators. Cross-sectional association of nut intake with adiposity in a Mediterranean population. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 Jul;21(7):518-25.

Li Z, Song R, Nguyen C, Zerlin A, Karp H, Naowamondhol K, Thames G, Gao K, Li L, Tseng CH, Henning SM, Heber D. Pistachio nuts reduce triglycerides and body weight by comparison to refined carbohydrate snack in obese subjects on a 12-week weight loss program. J Am Coll Nutr. 2010 Jun;29(3):198-203.

Vinson JA, Cai Y. Nuts, especially walnuts, have both antioxidant quantity and efficacy and exhibit significant potential health benefits. Food Funct. 2012 Feb;3(2):134-40.

Wang X, Li Z, Liu Y, Lv X, Yang W. Effects of pistachios on body weight in Chinese subjects with metabolic syndrome. Nutr J. 2012 Apr 3;11(1):20.

Fogelholm M, Anderssen S, Gunnarsdottir I, Lahti-Koski M. Dietary macronutrients and food consumption as determinants of long-term weight change in adult populations: a systematic literature review. Food Nutr Res. 2012;56.

Mozaffarian D, Hao T, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Hu FB. Changes in diet and lifestyle and long-term weight gain in women and men. N Engl J Med. 2011 Jun 23;364(25):2392-404.

Martínez-González MA, García-Arellano A, Toledo E, Salas-Salvadó J, Buil-Cosiales P, Corella D, Covas MI, Schröder H, Arós F, Gómez-Gracia E, Fiol M, Ruiz-Gutiérrez V, Lapetra J, Lamuela-Raventos RM, Serra-Majem L, Pintó X, Muñoz MA, Wärnberg J, Ros E, Estruch R; for the PREDIMED Study Investigators. A 14-Item Mediterranean Diet Assessment Tool and Obesity Indexes among High-Risk Subjects: The PREDIMED Trial. PLoS One. 2012;7(8):e43134.

O'Neil CE, Keast DR, Nicklas TA, Fulgoni VL 3rd. Out-of-hand nut consumption is associated with improved nutrient intake and health risk markers in US children and adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2004. Nutr Res. 2012 Mar;32(3):185-94.

O'Neil CE, Keast DR, Nicklas TA, Fulgoni VL 3rd. Nut consumption is associated with decreased health risk factors for cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome in U.S. adults: NHANES 1999-2004. J Am Coll Nutr. 2011 Dec;30(6):502-10.

Jornayvaz FR. Diet, lifestyle, and long-term weight gain. N Engl J Med. 2011 Sep 15;365(11):1058-9; author reply 1059.
  • nboks
    nboks Posts: 41
    Options
    wow thank you for the comments. I guess I should dig deeper into my diet and look at ways to improve my macros instead rather than focusing on a single food source.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Try PB2, I LOVE the stuff and it is real peanuts!! I mix it in my shakes!
    No. The healthy part of peanut butter is the FAT, which is the part PB2 takes out, making it a complete waste IMO.