To liquid or not to liquid

Options
I am tempted to try this liquid or juicing fast. I've done a master cleanse about 3 times this year, ok results. How many of you all "juice" or consume protein shakes for most if not all of your meals? And how successful was it for you?

Replies

• ErickaJos
    ErickaJos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I can't say I've ever tried a true liquid diet. I've done 3-day cleanses to boost my metabolism when I seem to plateau. How many lbs are you looking to lose?
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have about 30 more lbs to go! and it is creeping along!
  • pnesabrina
    pnesabrina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Never. I feel weak, I have headaches and I overeat the very 1st second I'm done with it.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Most, if not all, "juicing" diets are just fad diets that help drop a lot of water weight quickly, but not the fatty tissue that you really want to lose. Most of these diets are very low calorie, which actually causes your body to keep the fat at the expense of lean muscle mass. Protein shakes are meant more for a dietary supplement to help your muscles repair themselves after a workout, or if your diet is otherwise defficient in protein from the food that you regularly eat. While they may be a fast and efficient way to consume protein after a workout, most are lacking in the overall nutrition that your body requires. Meal replacement shakes such as Met-Rx are a better way to go if you want to replace one meal a day, but I wouldn't recommend more than that. A balanced diet featuring fruits and vegetables and lean sources of protein like chicken, fish, non-fat dairy, and egg whites (or soy or other vegetable proteins if you are vegetarian) , served in reasonable portions, is the key to losing weight in the long term (along with regular exercise). Fad diets don't work in the long term, and people usually pack on the weight that they lost and then some, after they try to go back to eating their "regular" food. Fad diets do more harm than good, especially since they can lead to depression after all that "lost" weight comes back. Remember, not all weight loss is good weight loss. Real fat loss is a slow (1-2 pounds a week) process. It didn't just take a week or two to gain the weight so it's not going to go away quickly, either. Stick with a healthy diet eating real food, exercise regularly, and the weight loss will come!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    Most, if not all, "juicing" diets are just fad diets that help drop a lot of water weight quickly, but not the fatty tissue that you really want to lose. Most of these diets are very low calorie, which actually causes your body to keep the fat at the expense of lean muscle mass. Protein shakes are meant more for a dietary supplement to help your muscles repair themselves after a workout, or if your diet is otherwise defficient in protein from the food that you regularly eat. While they may be a fast and efficient way to consume protein after a workout, most are lacking in the overall nutrition that your body requires. Meal replacement shakes such as Met-Rx are a better way to go if you want to replace one meal a day, but I wouldn't recommend more than that. A balanced diet featuring fruits and vegetables and lean sources of protein like chicken, fish, non-fat dairy, and egg whites (or soy or other vegetable proteins if you are vegetarian) , served in reasonable portions, is the key to losing weight in the long term (along with regular exercise). Fad diets don't work in the long term, and people usually pack on the weight that they lost and then some, after they try to go back to eating their "regular" food. Fad diets do more harm than good, especially since they can lead to depression after all that "lost" weight comes back. Remember, not all weight loss is good weight loss. Real fat loss is a slow (1-2 pounds a week) process. It didn't just take a week or two to gain the weight so it's not going to go away quickly, either. Stick with a healthy diet eating real food, exercise regularly, and the weight loss will come!

thanks carl!! the weightloss is good, HOWEVER, i have a problem getting on the scale EVERYDAY. i know major no no!! so i see my lbs fluctuating up and down a lb or 2. I HATE THAT!

i've lost close to 40lbs so far. My current routine consists of: 50 mins cardio 5 days a week, 20 min strength trng everyday, focusing on a different part of the body. My meals during the week are: carrots as soon as i wake up, granola bar for breakfast, granola bar for lunch with sometimes sugar free yogurt or pudding, or i'll eat a salad with veggies only. Dinner is usually a veggie: green beans, broccoli or something and a meat: mostly chicken, sometimes tilapia. baked or grilled.

Somebody said I'm not eating enough. But i did my own experiment, where I worked out hard and ate more and didn't lose a thing, not 1lb. I think everybody's body is different.

I just need to keep on losing!! Stop hitting plateaus :-(
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    what about the new hcg diet? has anyone tried that? I get so frustrated going to the gym two hrs a day and tracking religiously and only seeing two pounds in two wks! I have lost a half inch in my waist but still cant fit into my jeans. then today I am up three pounds! UGH!
  • tameka1220
    Options
    what about the new hcg diet? has anyone tried that? I get so frustrated going to the gym two hrs a day and tracking religiously and only seeing two pounds in two wks! I have lost a half inch in my waist but still cant fit into my jeans. then today I am up three pounds! UGH!

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!! Thats me! 2 lbs if that in two weeks. My brother did hcg, he lost close to 50lbs, but i don't know if i wanna try that. Its REAL strict and about 500 cals a day. and in the end i think exercising is good for you. and i LOVE how my body is getting definition, i just hate the scale.
  • annabellj
    Options
    did he keep the weight off? that has been my dilemma all my life and there is no way I would quit exercising. that is so stupid as it makes me feel so good after. I have lost and gained the same 40 lbs 3 or 4 times in my life and the hcg is supposed to reset your metabolism.
  • tameka1220
    Options
    did he keep the weight off? that has been my dilemma all my life and there is no way I would quit exercising. that is so stupid as it makes me feel so good after. I have lost and gained the same 40 lbs 3 or 4 times in my life and the hcg is supposed to reset your metabolism.

so far he's kept it off. but hes in the last stage thing also. so i guess he's still "in the process".
  • annabellj
    Options
    and I dont think you keep muscle on as easily if you are on that. with the weight training right now my arms are looking awesome and the backs of my legs are tight for the first time in my life! you just convinced me it isnt worth it, thanks!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I did the martha's vinyard cleanse. It's all freshly juiced veggie juice and pureed veggie soup for 30 days...i lost 23 lbs. and have never felt better than I did during that month. Don't get me wrong, the first week was tough. You're detoxing pretty badly, but if you push through, the end result is excellent. It's a time consuming diet. you have to drink 8 oz of juice or soup every two hours, but it's pretty good! Let me know if you do it. i'd love to follow your progress
  • annabellj
    Options
    tameka it sounds like you might need to eat a little more protein during the day. that will help with muscle building
  • tameka1220
    Options
    A few years ago I did the martha's vinyard cleanse. It's all freshly juiced veggie juice and pureed veggie soup for 30 days...i lost 23 lbs. and have never felt better than I did during that month. Don't get me wrong, the first week was tough. You're detoxing pretty badly, but if you push through, the end result is excellent. It's a time consuming diet. you have to drink 8 oz of juice or soup every two hours, but it's pretty good! Let me know if you do it. i'd love to follow your progress

30 days??!! Nothing but liquid?? Woooow, don't think i can go 30 days!!
  • tameka1220
    Options

30 days??!! Nothing but liquid?? Woooow, don't think i can go 30 days!!
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options

thanks carl!! the weightloss is good, HOWEVER, i have a problem getting on the scale EVERYDAY. i know major no no!! so i see my lbs fluctuating up and down a lb or 2. I HATE THAT!

i've lost close to 40lbs so far. My current routine consists of: 50 mins cardio 5 days a week, 20 min strength trng everyday, focusing on a different part of the body. My meals during the week are: carrots as soon as i wake up, granola bar for breakfast, granola bar for lunch with sometimes sugar free yogurt or pudding, or i'll eat a salad with veggies only. Dinner is usually a veggie: green beans, broccoli or something and a meat: mostly chicken, sometimes tilapia. baked or grilled.

Somebody said I'm not eating enough. But i did my own experiment, where I worked out hard and ate more and didn't lose a thing, not 1lb. I think everybody's body is different.

I just need to keep on losing!! Stop hitting plateaus :-(
    Way to go on the weight loss! Keep up the good work!