giving up bread

Options
I think I need to give up bread. Not because of some fad diet thing, but because when I eat it, I feel all bloaty, gross, and not very good. only problem is I love bread. anyone have any tips or suggestions as to giving it up or possibly substituting something else for bread?

Replies

• HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I cut out bread also because it would leave me bloated, I switch to low carb high fiber wraps and tortillas. If I do want bread I look for one with a high fiber intake.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Find better bread. I love the Arnold Healthful Nuttygrain breads. 5 grams fiber, 5 grams protein.

Giving it up...Are you giving it up for life?
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    i'll look for some higher fiber ones. if need be, if any bread keeps making me feel like crap, then yes, i'll give it up for life and switch to tortillas, unless those make me feel bad too.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Tortilla?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Eat bread on a range that is > 0 but < the amount of bread you were eating before
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat bread, there are probably kinds of breads that you will like that don't make you feel bad.

Just be aware that bread is fairly calorie dense and so you don't get to eat much of it for the calories you get out of it.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Give it up and suffer through the cravings for a few weeks. The cravings will dwindle and you'll break any kind of addiction. It's possible, but difficult.

If you don't want to quit bread maybe experiment with other types of bread and see if you can stomach any of those. :)
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Its hard at first but you will feel better. I have been "bread free" for over a year and the last few months I have been eating some here and there and boy do I feel icky afterwards, even if its the whole wheat high fiber stuff. So yes I do agree that it may help you feel better overall.

I eat corn/ rice cakes and crackers of all kinds, every now and again I want a sammie, but now that I've been without it for over a year I'm ok without it.

I havent tried any myself, but perhaps gluten free/ paleo breads?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Don't give up bread!

When I first started my weight loss, I was all like "Bread is bad, bread has too many calories" and I looked for alternatives, and found one, which was bread! Lol.

I swapped out white bread for whole grain bread. Doesn't bloat me, doesn't spike my blood sugar, it's filling and it's not as harsh with calories as white bread!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have an issue with gluten? If that is the case, you may need to give up wheat entirely...
  • PhoenixEve
    PhoenixEve Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It depends on if it's the yeast in the bread or the wheat/gluten that's making you feel bloated.

1. Try a yeast-free unleavened bread made from wheat/gluten. If you feel bloated after, then the wheat/gluten might be the problem. (look into gluten intolerance/celiac)

2. Try a gluten-free bread that has yeast... if you feel bloated from it, then the yeast might be the problem. (look into candida cleanse)

Or it could be dairy. There are dairy free breads too. Or egg. Or soy. There are so many allergies/intolerances that are becoming more and more common these days. Do any of these things cause you digestive distress? It's best to pinpoint the cause of the bloating so you don't have to restrict too many things. You may still be able to eat bread, just bread with different ingredients than the stuff you're currently eating.
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I have tried organic gluten free bread and it doesn't seem to bloat the way regular bread does. It's quite nice but also a bit of an acquired taste because the texture is so unusually light and it seems to dissolve as soon as you eat it lol
  • hannahlodges
    Options
    I have been gluten free for a year now, but I occasionally slip up, especially at school when I'm starving and all they have for lunch is a sandwich! Try Vogel gluten free bread, it's expensive but if you can pull out those extra dollars it's well worth it!!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    i'll look for some higher fiber ones. if need be, if any bread keeps making me feel like crap, then yes, i'll give it up for life and switch to tortillas, unless those make me feel bad too.
    Just be aware that for some people, bloating is made worse by increasing fibre.
  • PhoenixEve
    Options
    I have tried organic gluten free bread and it doesn't seem to bloat the way regular bread does. It's quite nice but also a bit of an acquired taste because the texture is so unusually light and it seems to dissolve as soon as you eat it lol

Which brand of gluten-free bread are you eating?

Silver Hills Gluten-Free Omega Flax is pretty heavy to me. Portofino Gluten-Free Seeded Bread is also very dense. All But Gluten raisin bread is quite moist.

Udi's is pretty light though... my husband calls it gunpowder bread. It's the only gluten-free brand i've tried that i don't like. *edit* actually if i recall correctly, Glutino brand was powdery too.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    gluten intolerance?
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    gluten intolerance?

i'm not really sure. bread never bothered me when I was younger, but after pregnancy, everything is weird. bread makes me feel bad and some dairy too.
  • PhoenixEve
    Options
    gluten intolerance?

i'm not really sure. bread never bothered me when I was younger, but after pregnancy, everything is weird. bread makes me feel bad and some dairy too.

If the gluten is the problem, then grass-fed dairy might be okay. Grain-fed dairy can have enough gluten to be a problem for some people.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing 3 months ago and havent looked back. I would also feel bloated after bread for whatever reason.

I've done the same with dairy and pasta as well. Looking back, pasta and bread seem now like really cheap ways of getting calories.
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've gotten lots of good advice about switching types of bread or switching to wraps so hopefully that helps. If not, try making sandwiches as wraps using large leafy greens (romaine etc). I haven't completely given bread up ( and don't intend to) but I rarely eat it anymore and used to eat it every day. It doesn't bother me even a little, I don't miss it (though I did at first) and when I do want bread, I eat quality whole grain bread and it doesn't affect my health or weight loss. If you find you really need to ditch bread, try the lettuce wrap idea....my sandwiches are delicious!