Trouble Eating Enough Calories

Options
I've been jogging/walking 4-5 times a week on a treadmill at work. Because I work steady afternoons, it's easier for me to go after work, which is 11pm. I just started doing 10k and by the time I get home, I'm starving. The problem is, I burn a lot of calories, but it's also close to 2 in the morning by the time I get home. And I have to eat, then go to bed at some point. I try to eat more during the day but I find that the healthier you eat, the harder it is to get enough calories in. I also try to stop eating 3 hours before I go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Are you currently working on losing weight? Then what did you eat prior to now? If your first answer is "yes," then eat some of the foods in your second answer, just less than you ate before so it fits into your calorie limitations.
  • frostypaws
    frostypaws Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, working on losing some more weight and preparing for my first half marathon. Usually I eat around 1400 calories a day, but I find it difficult to reach. I can usually get to 900-1000 calories before I have to stop and prepare to run. But then I have to eat even more very late at night. I'm worried this may hinder my weight loss.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Few years back I had similar issues when I started cardio and watching my diet at the same time since I don't have a habit of eating high calorie foods to begin with. At first it was hard to get those calories in so I just ate till I felt full. After a month though I started feeling pretty hungry all the time and my appetite increased to the point where I was probably going over what I was supposed to be eating (wasn't using MFP back then but had a rudimentary tracker).

How long have you been doing this for?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Eating late at night won't hinder your weight loss.

There are quite a few myths on meal timing, including the one about not eating after a certain time of day, and they are all simply myths. What matters is that you eat at a calorie deficit and get sufficient nutrition in the process.
  • nelinelineli
    Options
    But then I have to eat even more very late at night. I'm worried this may hinder my weight loss.

It may affect your sleep and your body clock, but not your weight loss, which does not depend on the time at which you eat.
  • frostypaws
    Options
    How long have you been doing this for?

I've been doing it regularly for the past month.

I'm glad to hear that late night eating isn't a problem. I normally wouldn't do that, but with all this late-night exercise, I have to!

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm relieved! :happy:
  • nelinelineli
    Options

I've been doing it regularly for the past month.

In my experience that is about the time my body starts "reacting" to new workout/diets - starting to feel exhausted or hungry if I eat too little - and you'll probably reach that balance you're looking for. Just takes a bit of trial and error, but as long as changes are moderate and consistent it will not cause any harm:)
  • frostypaws
    Options
    In my experience that is about the time my body starts "reacting" to new workout/diets - starting to feel exhausted or hungry if I eat too little - and you'll probably reach that balance you're looking for. Just takes a bit of trial and error, but as long as changes are moderate and consistent it will not cause any harm:)

That's exactly how I'm starting to feel. I probably should try to fit in some more food during the day before the harder runs so that I'm not stuffing myself right before bed. Thank you.
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Switch your milk for full fat, use butter over margarine, healthy fats like avocados, salmon, peanut butter.
  • elvisff
    elvisff Posts: 3
    Options
    It depends on how many more calories you are looking to eat and what kind of carb or protein content you want. I typically make a shake with protein powder, oatmeal, chia, a banana, and PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and it has around 500 or so calories in it. Shakes can be fast to make, full of good foods, and calorie dense, you just have to watch what you put in them.
  • frostypaws
    Options
    It depends on how many more calories you are looking to eat and what kind of carb or protein content you want. I typically make a shake with protein powder, oatmeal, chia, a banana, and PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and it has around 500 or so calories in it. Shakes can be fast to make, full of good foods, and calorie dense, you just have to watch what you put in them.

I think I will try that tonight. It sounds like a much healthier way to add the large amount of missing calories than what I've been doing. Thanks!