Healthy comfort foods

Options
I was wondering what would be good comfort foods for when you're having a really crappy day.

I don't always turn to food when I'm upset. It tends to go like this: Been crying and feeling horrible with a complete loss of appetite and usually nausea. Then when I'm feeling better, I feel like a bottomless pit from not eating for half the day ( or how ever long I felt terrible) so I eat whatever I can find in the house.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what would be good comfort foods for when you're having a really crappy day.

I don't always turn to food when I'm upset. It tends to go like this: Been crying and feeling horrible with a complete loss of appetite and usually nausea. Then when I'm feeling better, I feel like a bottomless pit from not eating for half the day ( or how ever long I felt terrible) so I eat whatever I can find in the house.

Mac n Cheese, Biscuits with sausage gravy, chicken pot pie, pancakes, french toast, ice cream, waffles
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    How about soup?
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Mac n Cheese, Biscuits with sausage gravy, chicken pot pie, pancakes, french toast, ice cream, waffles

Yep (excapt biscuits with sausage gravy - yuck). I figure if you haven't eaten all day you have the calories to spare. Even if you don't one day shouldn't hurt you long term.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Popcorn, lowfat frozen yogurt, light beer or skinny margaritas, mini rice cakes, marinara over noodles with grilled chicken, taco soup, chicken tacos, homemade pizza made with healthier ingrients, smoothies, light mocha frappicinos
  • hannahcosettesmith
    Options
    actually, start with chamomile tea or peppermint tea. that will take the edge off, often.

different types of comfort foods will be appealing depending on what the principal emotions you're dealing with are. For example, salty, crunchy vs. sweet and soft foods.

identify what type of comfort food you want, and then plug in something slightly healthier that fulfills that taste/texture sensation.

For example, i might eat popcorn for my crunchy, bananas with peanut butter for really feeling full and soothed, a baked potato with olive oil salt & pepper for my carby-fatty, apples galore or really, as much fresh fruit as I want of any kind for my sweet....it's cheaper to buy a thing of ice cream than to buy blueberries, pineapple, oranges, apples, strawberries AND raspberries, HOWEVER, you'll be amazed and pleased at how much taking care of yourself in the food way can help your emotional state.
  • sassabella
    Options
    I usually have a few squares of dark chocolate or some peanut butter with apple :)
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You guys/gals have been very helpful! Thanks so much =)
  • kuunsilta
    kuunsilta Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    actually, start with chamomile tea or peppermint tea. that will take the edge off, often.

different types of comfort foods will be appealing depending on what the principal emotions you're dealing with are. For example, salty, crunchy vs. sweet and soft foods.

identify what type of comfort food you want, and then plug in something slightly healthier that fulfills that taste/texture sensation.

For example, i might eat popcorn for my crunchy, bananas with peanut butter for really feeling full and soothed, a baked potato with olive oil salt & pepper for my carby-fatty, apples galore or really, as much fresh fruit as I want of any kind for my sweet....it's cheaper to buy a thing of ice cream than to buy blueberries, pineapple, oranges, apples, strawberries AND raspberries, HOWEVER, you'll be amazed and pleased at how much taking care of yourself in the food way can help your emotional state.

Those are some great ideas, thanks a tonne =)
  • atlchc8
    atlchc8 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I really like this recipe I found with porkchops baked in breadcrumbs and smothered in a cream of mushroom sauce. It's really good because it tastes just like fried porkchops and gravy but it's healthier http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-pork-chops-i/
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    turkey enchilada bowl....99% ground turkey cooked in enchilada sauce, a couple of handfuls of baked tortilla chips, lowfat cheese, light sour cream....had it tonight :)