Healthy Dorm friendly foods??

Options
I just went back to school, and I'm really struggling with what to keep in my dorm (I can only shop every 1-2 weeks.)
I'm on a meal plan and am opting for the healthier options there, but what are some dorm friendly snacks I should keep on hand?

Replies

• juliamcmullen92
    juliamcmullen92 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave and/or minifridge?
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), protein bars, nuts, greek yogurt if you have a mini fridge, you could make your own trail mix, hummus and veggies again if you have your own fridge
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention weight, just healthy so these may not all below calorie

Microwave popcorn (if you have access to a microwave) and do not get the movie calorie butter kind
    Nuts
    Beef Jerky
    Granola bars
    Fiber one bars
    Craisins
    Protein bars
    And not super low calorie or healthy, but I always kept them around for something sweet-rice krispy treats
  • ohsointricate8
    ohsointricate8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave and/or minifridge?

I have both!
  • ohsointricate8
    ohsointricate8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your wonderful ideas! It's all on my list :)
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I always had trail mix on hand. It's full of healthy calories. All you need is a handful on the go, and you'll stay full during class.
  • MCinSoCal
    Options
    Tuna pouches! They're so easy and you can keep them anywhere, about a buck each at Target.
    Also almonds are great, almond milk that doesn't need refrigeration until opening that you can use for cereal, granola etc...
    Oh and oatmeal, steel cut oats are best but plain Quaker are good too!
    Peanut butter, multi-grain crackers and bread
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    apples and peanut butter
    greek yogurt
    almonds
    clif bars
    veggies and hummus
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the freshmen 15 lol :-)

I love the organic peeled snacks (that's the name brand). They have cherries, apples and apricots (probably more but those are the only ones I've eaten). They are basically organic dried fruit.

They sell these at the snack bar and grill at the college I work for at around $2. I substitute them for fries when I buy a chicken sandwich. Maybe they sell them at your college, too.
  • juliamcmullen92
    juliamcmullen92 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That dining hall is a killer. Plus the late night cafe in our building. Me and my roommate freshman year would get smoothies, chicken strips, cookies, or pints of ben and jerry's at 11 pm...no wonder I gained a lot lol. Eating healthy in college is sooo hard when you're busy. Even now that I have an apartment with a kitchen this is still a struggle for me.

The microwave and minifridge is helpful! I like lean cuisines a lot, if you want you can substitute them for lunch one day. Also keep fruits, greek yogurt, etc in the fridge. Bananas are one of my favorites because they're filling at you can eat them on the way to class. Those little mini packets of hummus and and pretzels are great too (although it's probably more economical to get a bigger container of each, haha). Cheese sticks to eat with apple slices for a filling snack. Not sure if low cal but microwave oatmeal for breakfast, mix in fruit and nuts :)
  • bohocherry
    Options
    tip 1!
    load down your plate in the calf but only have one plate.
    If you keep going back it's more likely you'll have more calories than if you just load down that one plate.
    And resist the sweets! just get a cookie at the most or even do cereal which is better for you.

as for dorm snacks, while fruits and veggies are good they don't last long in dorm environment so they aren't practical.
    Fruits snacks, granola bars, tuna, baked chips or pringles. they all last a long time.

For filling food get sandwich material (bread peanut butter ham condiments, etc) and oatmeal! nutritious and it should hold you over in between meals.