Stretching Before/After Walking?

Options
I just came back from my first ever walk! *excited* I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm planning on walking 5 miles this week, so I'm starting off slow. Now, I know that you're supposed to stretch before and after running, but does the same principle apply to walking as well? My muscles feel somewhat tight, so I think it might be a good idea, but I'm just wondering.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    stretching after walking will be just fine
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Stretching is always good, I do it every chance I get! And walking for me has been great exercise. Good luck!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This.

Stretching after running is an iffy topic. Some swear by it, others don't do it at all. It won't hurt to stretch after running.

One thing - dont stretch before, or at least, before a warm up. You can injure yourself stretching cold muscles.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a bunch or reading, and "they" are saying now, to do some light stretching before, and a big stretch after. I always do a stretch before I run, it just feels better to me. I always feel better when I do....in fact, thanks for the reminder, I'm off to stretch now!

And good luck on your goal for 5 miles! Plugging away!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

One thing - dont stretch before, or at least, before a warm up. You can injure yourself stretching cold muscles.

100% could not agree more. I ran competitively for years, and years of high school and college sports have never had a trainer stretch me prior to a game. Plyometric warm ups, and dynamic stretches. If we were late and pressed for warm up time, we skipped dynamic stretching all together and only performed plyos for warm up.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a bunch or reading, and "they" are saying now, to do some light stretching before, and a big stretch after. I always do a stretch before I run, it just feels better to me. I always feel better when I do....in fact, thanks for the reminder, I'm off to stretch now!

And good luck on your goal for 5 miles! Plugging away!

Define "stretching".

There is a big difference between static and dynamic stretching. Yes, dynamic stretching prior is fine, but if you'd like to increase your chance of injury then by all means perform static stretches prior.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    stretch after.
    esp if you have problems with your Achilles getting tight.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I powerwalk all of the time and always stretch afterwards while my muscles are warm. I read stretching cold muscles could lead to injury.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Define "stretching".

There is a big difference between static and dynamic stretching. Yes, dynamic stretching prior is fine, but if you'd like to increase your chance of injury then by all means perform static stretches prior.
    [/quote]

Wow - I did a little looking after reading this, and I think I might have to redo things... Right now I stretch out for a few minutes pre-run, I bend down & let my legs hang & stretch while putting on my socks & tying shoes, then lean to 1 side & then the other to get inner legs, usually going to the step for a couple rounds of stretching the Achilles up & down, then leg up on the back of the truck & opposite arm over (a la ballet-style) while setting up my music for the run & then walking around while finishing setting up the phone, unlocking my front gate & getting ready to go. Even though I'm 'big" I've always been pretty flexible, and find I have to go a bit "further" in my stretches to feel them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just came back from my first ever walk! *excited* I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm planning on walking 5 miles this week, so I'm starting off slow. Now, I know that you're supposed to stretch before and after running, but does the same principle apply to walking as well? My muscles feel somewhat tight, so I think it might be a good idea, but I'm just wondering.

I hope your parents got video of it. That's an important developmental milestone.

:drinker:

(ETA: stretch after walking. Not essential, but stretching is generally a good thing, and after a walk is a perfect time for it.)
  • slgreene86
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input! :) I did wind up stretching some.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually just read a big article last week about the fact they are saying now that stretching before & after has little effect on your run. I know I don't stretch before I head out for my big walks, and I don't have problems due to it. i believe to each their own. What works for you is what you need to do. Good Luck