Big Ol' Over-50 Fatty With Optimism!

Options
Hi! I'm Helen, and I'm REALLY glad to be here! I am an adult-onset Fatty, having been a skinny kid who ate whatever I wanted (and I always wanted JUNK). I started to gain weight in my late 20s, and would diet and exercise and lose, and then go up, up, up!

After two kids, I settled. I occasionally exercised, and once I even did a Mini-Triathlon (woo-hoo!), but for the most part I gave up on myself. My husband and kids love me, and never judge me - I always make "Mom is Fat" jokes before they can!

I am an emotional eater. I grew up in a large-ish family where there was not enough food My parents, especially my mother, were abusive. I ate for comfort, whenever I could scrounge up money to buy candy or chips or chocolate milk or ANYTHING junky. I was a junk food connoisseur!

I have been working on the emotions of fear and deprivation and anger and sorrow that have kept me stagnant for so many years. I have done powerful work in the last two years especially, and I feel great about it. I have made some big breakthroughs.

Finally, I am not ashamed of being fat. I am not afraid to put myself out here and say, "Look. I've gained a lot of weight. Through self-kindness, patience, and trial and error, I am going to become fit."

My only goal is to move more and eat better. My long term goals are to do another mini-tri and eventually a sprint or maybe even an Olympic triathlon! I have a goal weight in mind but I don't know if I'll make it. I will probably have loose skin and other weird issues as the weight comes off - oh, well. We'll see.

I am excited about rejoining the land of health!

Replies

• OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    Welcome, Helen! I go by Duchess. I like your optimism! Feel free to add me if you're looking for friends.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Helen – Log your food and exercise honestly and you’ll do great! Since you mentioned being over-50….. join us at the thread: WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013. Good group of supportive gals with loads in common.

Gail, metro ATL
  • 4melyn
    4melyn Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Welcome Helen, I am over 50 as well and recently returned to MFP after trying WW I did lose. Feel free to add me.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Helen, and I'm REALLY glad to be here! I am an adult-onset Fatty, having been a skinny kid who ate whatever I wanted (and I always wanted JUNK). I started to gain weight in my late 20s, and would diet and exercise and lose, and then go up, up, up!

After two kids, I settled. I occasionally exercised, and once I even did a Mini-Triathlon (woo-hoo!), but for the most part I gave up on myself. My husband and kids love me, and never judge me - I always make "Mom is Fat" jokes before they can!

I am an emotional eater. I grew up in a large-ish family where there was not enough food My parents, especially my mother, were abusive. I ate for comfort, whenever I could scrounge up money to buy candy or chips or chocolate milk or ANYTHING junky. I was a junk food connoisseur!

I have been working on the emotions of fear and deprivation and anger and sorrow that have kept me stagnant for so many years. I have done powerful work in the last two years especially, and I feel great about it. I have made some big breakthroughs.

Finally, I am not ashamed of being fat. I am not afraid to put myself out here and say, "Look. I've gained a lot of weight. Through self-kindness, patience, and trial and error, I am going to become fit."

My only goal is to move more and eat better. My long term goals are to do another mini-tri and eventually a sprint or maybe even an Olympic triathlon! I have a goal weight in mind but I don't know if I'll make it. I will probably have loose skin and other weird issues as the weight comes off - oh, well. We'll see.

I am excited about rejoining the land of health!

Amazing! You have a great story and it sounds like you're ready to make a healthy start! Good for you!

You're going to encounter all kinds here if you haven't been here before. You'll meet:

"Team: Protein"
    "Team: Eat What You Want for your calories"
    "Team: 1200 calories a day, u guyz!" And then everyone goes *facepalm*
    "Team: Cut out trigger foods"
    "Team: If It Fits Your Macros"
    "Team: TDEE - 20%"
    "Team: Lift Weights!"

And the ever so special - "Team: Ketogenic diet!" and "Team: I Hate Carbs!"
    Sometimes also know as: "Carbs are the Devil: Less than 50 carbs a day or diabetes will kill you limb by limb" <-- actually read this thread once, heh. I don't like fear mongering. But, anyhoo!

Welcome! And whatever path you choose, just do what feels comfortable for you and doesn't leave you feeling sick.

I'm with the 'don't eat below your BMR and eat what you want for your calories'' crowd. I also log everything I eat and every cup of water I drink. There are lots of correct methods. :) So, do what you like and stick to it. ^_^

This place is great. The people are helpful and knowledgeable. Most are very kind and supportive. I love all the success stories. I hope you find what you need here.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Muse - those teams are so true! :laugh: Everyone finds their own way, but some sure do get heated up about their method.
    Gail
  • 2youngatheart
    2youngatheart Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yay! For you! Welcome.....this site is great and informative. You will find what works for you and it will change with time as you change. Most important thing is to log,log ,log everything! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    In the end the best team is "Team whatever the hell works and you can stick to long term". The second part of that is as importatnt, if not more, than the first.

OP - sounds like you've got the right attitude. Best of luck
  • Lefroy
    Lefroy Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello Helen,

I am also over 50 and thought that my days of looking okay were gone. I am getting married in 10 days and so, a few months ago, I decided to really test myself. I started an exercise program with some young people. It is the insanity program and I can nowhere near keep up with them but I can now almost finish the whole workout. It feels like a real achievement and my shape is now totally different.

I used to tell myself I was an emotional eater, that the HRT medication makes it hard to lose weight, that my medication for depression actually puts on weight (I am now well again thanks to meditation and excercise) and that my metabolism had slowed too far for me to get back into shape.

Then I told myself they were all excuses. I would never look like I did in my twenties, but I could darn well look, and feel, as good as I possibly could. And I do, and I feel great, and I feel well.

Keep going, stay positive but don't listen to your own excuses!! Good luck.
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Lefroy, Thank you for your answer! Congratulations on getting married.

I believe that no matter where I am or how I got here, I can move forward. Understanding that I eat for comfort has been an essential tool in enabling myself to believe I am worth fighting for. So, I don't view it as an "excuse," but as a valid reason for why I overate. And, that reason no longer serves me, so I am moving on.
  • HelenTheZ
    Options
    Muse - Thank you! I LOVE your answer. I've logged a lot of time on the internet, mostly on feminist websites, so your rundown of the "types" I will meet made me laugh out loud!

The only thing i've figured out is that the only person who knows how to get and keep my body healthy is ME. Experts, shmexperts. So mich "diet" advice is comtradictory, that after weeding through it, what I've figured out for me is: I need protein for breakfast; If I avoid sugar my junk food cravings diminish - but if I'm in a good emotional state I eat a sweet and enjoy it; I miss moving around and am looking forward to trying some (very) small race events within the next year.

Or not. I have no idea where this journey is heading. But my motto is, "Think big, start small."

I feel like I've come home to myself after a very lomg absence.
  • HelenTheZ
    Options
    Lefroy - Forgot to add, I am impressed and inspired by your "insanity" self-challenge.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard! Ok, nuff of that... now get up and M-O-V-E !! :bigsmile:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. I agree with Gail. We have an awesome over 50 group that are supportive, very chatty, no one is put down, jsut one big happy group of ladies. Come join us. Just look in the women 50+ group

Joyce
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I see you have already made it to our home!!!
  • HelenTheZ
    Options
    YES! Thank you! Feel free to gently remind me of that ANY time.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    59 here, and I really did think weight loss at my age would be sooo hard if not impossible. But I've been on MFP since Dec. 31 2012 and doing great. 46 pounds gone so far. You're welcome to add me.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Hi Helen,

What a great introductory post, welcome! With such a great attitude, I predict success! :flowerforyou:

Kat
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You have found the right place. My reasons for putting on weight were similar to yours. Feel free to add me if you want someone enthusiastically on the same path!
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Hi! I turn 50 in October, but I've been kicking around here for a while now! Do add me as a friend if you'd like support.:flowerforyou:

PS I'm the one in the green!
  • MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! I'm not fifty but my goals are similar to yours. I want to get fit and healthy.
    I want to move more and have fun. It's small steps for me right now as this is a big change and I fear doing too much all at once and then giving up.

I've been on MFP close to a month and the logging has helped immensely!!

I'd love to be friends to support each other in this new lifestyle!!

Mimi