Leg Cramps, Any ideas WHY?

Options
mem50
mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
Not sure here. I take supplements, my blood work (recent) shows everything is good there. I wear compression stockings. But the muscles in my upper inside thigh keeps cramping up. It is getting to be very frustrating. Anyone else out there have any clues as to possible reasons? Or should I try a different type of exercise?

Replies

• NikkiWork
    NikkiWork Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its true or not but I heard that its lack of calcium...that when it happens you should work more calcium into your diet! Maybe just try it and see if it works! Good luck!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Electro lights & Salt needed, I drink Diet Ginger Ale[no suger] after work.Also can use Gatorade[more suger]. Eat bananas for potassium.Will take care of the cramps....be sure your drinking enough water before,during & after working out.:drinker:
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough potassium most multi-vitamins dont contain any and it greatly helps with cramps also if you are constantly getting them after a certain exercise i would look into it. Some times cramps can be caused by poor walking habits such as bowlegged or waling on the sides of our feet. I would have someone watch you as you do that exercise to make sure your moving in a natural movement
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    When I get leg cramps I drink a few swigs of pickle juice and it really helps. Other cramp helpers are bananas and seltzer/carbonated water(water w/ bubbles).
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Not sure here. I take supplements, my blood work (recent) shows everything is good there. I wear compression stockings. But the muscles in my upper inside thigh keeps cramping up. It is getting to be very frustrating. Anyone else out there have any clues as to possible reasons? Or should I try a different type of exercise?

Lack of salt and lack of potassium can cause cramps.

If you do a lot of exercise that is making you sweat, but you aren't replacing sodium lost when you perspire, cramps are often the outcome.

Watch you are not deficient in those things.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Also make sure your doing your stretches after you work out while your muscles are warm. I think the after workout stretches are some of the most important exercises to do.
  • DottieTillman
    Options
    Sunnie......Could be potassium deficiency....Try putting a bar of soap under the covers (it works, don't ask me why)....Quinnie Water; sip some before you go to bed (1/4 cup)...this also works! Good Luck, Dottie
  • DottieTillman
    Options
    Please eliminate Diet products....Not healthy for you at all.......I've read to many articles on the negative of diet products! Dottie
  • Pendragn
    Options
    What everyone else said about potassium. I was getting a lot of cramps and had constant muscle aches after working out. My martial arts instructor encouraged me to start eating a banana every day. Apparently, the potassium helps release the lactic acid that builds up in your muscles after intense physical activity. Since I worked the banana into my daily diet (I blend it into my whey protein shakes), I feel a LOT better.