Logging food, does variety of the food type matter?

Options
For example, when you are logging apple (Gala, Granny Smith, Fuji, Envy) or Lettuce (green oak, red oak, romain, butterhead, oak leaf) or Mussel (Blue lipped mussel, green lipped mussel) or Mackerel fish with various kind of mackerel, do the calories of this food vary much or it can be count into one?

Replies

• splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Anyone?

Bump
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Did you try adding them all and seeing what calorie difference there is? Now I am curious, but the diary says down for maintenance so I can't check.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I do not get that specific in my diary. I just get as close as possible. Size matters though. A small banana and a large banana have a big calories difference...same with a russet potato and a red potato.
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    In these examples I would have thought it wouldn't make too much difference. There's some difference between different types of lettuce for example, but it's so low in calories anyway I wouldn't have thought it's worth noting the difference. Brown/white rice is different in terms of glycemic index and overall nutritiousness but not radically different in calories. Obviously for things like cooked dishes it will depend on the ingredients.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Did you try adding them all and seeing what calorie difference there is? Now I am curious, but the diary says down for maintenance so I can't check.

I do tried but some of the food I tried to log is not in the database, or there is in MFPDB but the data is different or incomplete (doesn't list in macronutrient and such) then I don't know which one has the right information.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 4,999 Member
    Options
    In these examples I would have thought it wouldn't make too much difference. There's some difference between different types of lettuce for example, but it's so low in calories anyway I wouldn't have thought it's worth noting the difference. Brown/white rice is different in terms of glycemic index and overall nutritiousness but not radically different in calories. Obviously for things like cooked dishes it will depend on the ingredients.

I agree I dont get that specific, when talking lettuce or kinds of apples I dont think it matterstoo much but when talkibg a small sweet potatoe or a red potatoe or a chicken breat or a chicken leg it matters

• Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    If you have the app for MFP on your phone, you can scan the bar code to get the information into your diary. Then save the meal for yourself. For future logging of the same things. It is not just calories, it is the nutritional information also. For Macros.