How do you find the motivation to keep going?

Options
d3vanj
d3vanj Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Serious question.

I've been aiming to lose weight for around a year now, and I've done it for brief periods with mild success. I always hit a plateau and then just slowly ease off of a diet/exercise plan. I'm 6' 216 pounds. Back in March I started, aiming for 2lbs/wk and I got down to 209 at the end of April. Unsatisfied with the progress I sort of gave up.

I work 50+ hours a week and find it so difficult to eat healthy and exercise (I know, this is an excuse).
I don't have many opportunities to leave work, so I end up eating from a vending machine or giving someone my credit card to grab me McDonalds or something, and I always regret it..

I just want to know how you guys keep yourselves motivated throughout the long difficult process of losing weight, and avoid all of the temtations?

Replies

• wannabfitnevarez
    wannabfitnevarez Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You really have to want it! Its a lot of work n dedication. My issues were similar to what your going thru, I wanted to lose weight for so many years. Plateau then lose a pound. Gain it back ugh..hated it. But once I got serious n found that this logging food n being very faithful to it really worked. I was dropping weight n still am . I love that my waist is tiny now. I have lost about 11 pant sizes . That's my motivation. Drop my last ten pounds n wear a small size in pants. I love how my clothes fit! Hang in there. Just push urself, and use tools like mfp... It works , you just have to be faithful to logging n exercise!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It eventually just becomes habit. To you it probably sounds crazy but its true. If it is something that is important you will do it.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    So many reasons, it's hard to pick one. A big chunk of it is ego, from different aspects. It makes me feel great to have people come up and say how good I look with the weight I've lost. It makes me feel good to know that I can go to any pool, any beach and feel good about taking off my shirt and look good. I love to inspire others because if I can do it at my age, with all that is going on in my life, there is no reason others can't. I like to be able to buy sexy underwear for my partner to admire me in. It's great to be able to get into clothes you haven't been able to get into for 4 decades.

I am 11 months post-knee replacement. I have been doing this to rehab from that and to make it easier on the knee. I'm doing it because I'm moving better than I have in years. I'm more pain free than I have been in decades. And I want to stay pain free, and postpone having to do the other knee as long as possible.

And I also have a personal trainer who I know would take great pleasure in kicking me from pillar to post if I screw up (he's also a great friend, which is why he'd enjoy it so much). And because I want to look damned good at his wedding in 7 weeks.

But in the end everyone's reason will be personal. It comes down to motivation. Do you want it enough to do it? It really is mind over matter. Because if you are in control of your mind, nothing else matters.
  • ShortInSeattle
    Options
    There is an old story that says when seafaring adventurers finally arrived at their destination they burned their ships. There was no going back, they had no choice but to survive.

If you new way of eating is something that has become a lifestyle change, there is no going back. It is only when it is a diet (temporary) that we hop on and off. Burn your ships! The old way of living is gone.

At a certain point, motivation is irrelevant. Your new habits simply becomes the way you live your life.

The thing that crystallized all this for me was realizing that my body has it's own timeline, and I am not in control of how many pounds I lose in a week. It's my job to eat well, track my calories, move every day, and be patient while my body slowly changes. Getting fixated on a certain rate of weight loss sets me up for failure.

Find a way of living that is good to your body, and then just live. Get on with your life and don't over think it.

Motivation is temporary. Will power even more so. :)

SIS
  • SymphonyTea
    Options
    There's a series of reasons but I'm going to go with the first thought that came to mind: ONE DAY AT A TIME

I know it's been said, too many times to count, but we must learn to crawl before we can walk, & walk before we can run & it's ok when you fall, just make sure you get back up.

I've been going fairly strong since 7/8/2013 feel free to "Friend" me because me & everyone on my MFP friend list is walking UP the same hill.

Stay strong & good health ~T
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What keeps me going, is that I worked too hard to let it all go. Not that I don't want to most days. I originally lost a total of 62 pounds and then gained back about seventeen of them, before I put the brakes on. I remembered the fear and and how bad I felt at starting weight.
    As far as eating better, drag out your crock-pot and make up some meals and freeze them, Defrost them at home or in the microwave at work. I did that for years.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    It's of the most utmost importance to me. If you were held underwater what would be your only thought at that time? Air right? And you'd fight, struggle, dig, bite, scratch, etc. to get it. When you want your weight loss goal just like that air, then you'll reach it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marieskee
    marieskee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have found that when it comes to committing to eating right and exercising people tend to have grand expectations. We feel like we can do much more than we are willing to. That being said, make short commitments. For example devote to eating right for one day and then reflect! How did you feel? What worked or didn't? Then commit to 2 days and do the same. Then commit to 7 days or one month. The goal is to find what works and what does not! There is no method behind the madness because people are different. You want to find healthy foods that are fun and enjoyable also you want to find a fitness regimen that is also pleasurable, that way you will love it and not want to abandon your changes.
  • strangeone25
    strangeone25 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been working at it since March of this year. My reasons are pretty much the same as everyone here, basically I want to be healthy. As it says on my profile I am a type 1 diabetic and it is essential that I live an active lifestyle to be healthy. I completely understand about how difficult work can make things. I work shift work and eating on a schedule is harder. Some days I feel like all I am doing is thinking about my next meal and how to make it quick and healthy. It is worth it though...I have finally reached some goals that I never thought I would reach and it is amazing feeling. Just hang in there you can do it.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's really just a part of you that wants or needs it. I lose this part of me all the time. I've lost 20 lbs in 3 years, fluctuating of course, because I'm on again-off again. It's really annoying, I end up feeling 'okay' with being overweight and then all of a sudden reality hits me in the face and I'm back on an 'I'm sick of being fat' body shaming tour and start it all over again. I can tell you that little changes have really stuck with me in the past three years. My portions are lower, my activity level is a little higher, I know what to do and what not to do.. I'm craving restaurant food less. It takes time for me but I'm sure some day it'll be worth it. I'm not at my goal weight, but I'm very much further than I was 3 years ago today.

Feel free to add me. Seems like we could use each other as motivation. Good luck! :drinker:

Edit: Forgot to add that our schedules are alike. I have a full time desk job, operate a side business of 30+ hrs per week and also am a full time student. Stress, negativity and laziness get me all too often. All changes I need to make!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Serious question.

I've been aiming to lose weight for around a year now, and I've done it for brief periods with mild success. I always hit a plateau and then just slowly ease off of a diet/exercise plan. I'm 6' 216 pounds. Back in March I started, aiming for 2lbs/wk and I got down to 209 at the end of April. Unsatisfied with the progress I sort of gave up.

I work 50+ hours a week and find it so difficult to eat healthy and exercise (I know, this is an excuse).
    I don't have many opportunities to leave work, so I end up eating from a vending machine or giving someone my credit card to grab me McDonalds or something, and I always regret it..

I just want to know how you guys keep yourselves motivated throughout the long difficult process of losing weight, and avoid all of the temtations?
    You need to set yourself up for success, not failure. By having no food prepared, then, yes, you are going to hit fast food/vending machines cause you're hungry and they're there. All the motivation in the world isn't going to help you if you aren't prepared, so start there. I work from 9 to 6 five days a week, have to shop, cook, prepare food, have to clean my home, have to raise a ( special needs adult) son so you do what you gotta do. Start by cleaning up the environment, have healthy meals and snack ready, figure out when you will exercise and GI. We all get discouraged at that first plateau, you gave to keep going,
  • marniesworld
    marniesworld Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was always one of those people that was really good at losing weight when I put my mind to, but, as it happens, I was only putting my mind to it when I had something specific coming up - like a vacation (where a bathing suit would come into play), a wedding, a reunion, etc. Once that event passed, I found I'd always fall back into my old habits.

So now, I've taken to choosing something, no matter how far in the future and making that my "event". Mentally, I treat it as though that is the reason I want to lose weight and then once that event passes, I'll immediately choose something else to focus on and help me keep it up. Treating it as a bunch of small goals (baby steps) as opposed to an ultimate goal has proved to be less daunting for me, and helps to keep me motivated. Sort of like markers during a race.

Right now, I'm telling myself I want to look good in a dress at my friend's wedding in London in 2 weeks. After that, I'll focus on fitting into a cute Halloween costume. After that, looking good for a concert I'm going to in November... and so on. I can use each thing as my driving force (particularly in the case of exercise, which I find much harder to motivate myself for than I do eating well). Before I know it, I'll be maintaining for the next event, rather than trying to lose. :-)

(As a side note, this might sound crazy coming from someone with a ticker that says she lost 2lbs but I've actually lost 9 so far this summer. These two pounds are just what I've lost since I joined MyPlate 10 days ago.)
  • evolutionbyariana
    evolutionbyariana Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Like those mentioned above, it just became habit for me. I went on and off for a couple of years and then finally got tired of the "getting back on". Everything sort of happened at once; I finished school, got a new job, and made a big lifestyle change by deciding to stop drinking, so it just seemed right that that would be the time to throw myself into focusing on my health.

That being said, I know we don't all have time or even the need for a big lifestyle change! Think of the reasons why you really want this; weight loss may be one, but what about your health? Increased longevity in life so you have more time with the ones you love? Maybe even just the ability to stay independent when you're older. Use those deeper reasons and make a commitment to yourself to stick to it for two full weeks. Every time you think about giving up, remind yourself that it's only 2 weeks you have to make it through. I guarantee that by the end of those two weeks it will feel more like habit, you'll have noticed a lot of positive outcomes, and it will be easier to stick to it.

I always found it the hardest when I was just focusing on my weight and what I looked like. There needs to be that connection to those deeper meanings.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Why?

Everyone has listed great reasons, many of which I share.

For me the motivation lies in the journey. I am an intense sort of person, and I get wrapped up into a lot of details in general. I'm the type who finds a lot of personal satisfaction in choosing a goal, a challenge, etc and busting my *kitten* towards it until I've accomplished it. I've gained nearly 80 pounds in the last decade, and after having lost aroune 20, am determined to not only lose it but put myself through a regime to get myself in the best shape of my life.

I find that weight loss and fitness is one of those great dividers of mankind - there are those who do it, and those who don't. I get a thrill of changing paradigms, pushing myself to become something I've never become before.
  • princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    For me its a health reason as to why I started. . I have high cholesterol. ..
    So I keep going because of that.... also... I love lifting weights... which ive just discovered :) I think half of it is finding exercise you enjoy... :) I wouldnt normally have gym days... and I would normally just stay in bed or couldnt be bothered to go.. as for eating.. I was eating alot of takeaway.. now I pretty much stay the hell away from it.. I think you have to modivate yourself.. and even when there is no modivation you just do it... for me.. because I have to..... you can do this..
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Logging has really helped me stay on track. I was working 50 hour weeks for about 6 months this year, and it was tough. I rode my bike to and from work, so that added extra time onto my day. But it also gave me the exercise I needed.

I would wake at 4am to prepare my meals for the day. I had to have food within moments of arriving home, or I'd just call for delivery. I did a lot of food prep on Sundays, so that my mornings were a bit easier.

If you can stand it, eat the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch. This is a super time saver. You don't have to think about what you are going to eat, and cooking is a cinch. I'd have egg whites scrambled with fresh spinach and black beans for breakfast and a tossed salad with some protein (chicken, tuna, egg ect.) and a piece of fruit for lunch every day. For a mid afternoon snack I'd prepare some miso and have a handful of nuts. Dinner was lean protein, rice or potatoes and steamed veggies. I'd pre-cook the meat and potatoes on the weekend, so that way all I had to do was steam some veggies and pop the rest into the microwave.

The bike commuter thing was a bit drastic. I knew that I had to kick my own *kitten*, so I sold my car forcing myself to commute by bike or use public transport. Public transport took twice as long as riding my bike, so mostly I just rode my bike. But I was tired. And sometimes I had a really tough time doing anything at all on the weekends. (My daily commute was 10 miles each way).

Eventually, I just gave up the 50 hour a week job. That is an unreasonable amount of time to spend at work. I wanted those 10 hours a week back to use doing other things like resting, exercising, socializing ect. Now I work from home part time, and also on site part time. But my time is my own.

I got lazy again, so I had to sign up for some bike races. Now I'm back into hard core training mode. (kicked my own *kitten* again! )

Sometimes you just have to do something totally unreasonable to yourself to stay with the program. You need more motivation? Sign up for something like a 10k running race, a tough mudder, or other difficult and public challenge.

Oh, and never stop logging. Even the very ugly truth is motivating.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You really have to want it. The motivation starts with YOU. Actually the motivation IS you.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    watch this type of *kitten* every night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLv0Vsegmoo

Thank you for this link. I'm going to watch all of these.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    For me food was an addiction. I used it to self medicate. And one day I woke up, looked in the mirror and said NO MORE! After a few months, it just came naturally. I still have my moments where I fail, but this time when I fall, I don't stay down. And what motivated me the most, are my kids. I'm doing this for them. They deserve an active mother who plays with them.
This discussion has been closed.