Chinese Restaurant Selections

Options
Let me say thank you to the MFP folks that are willing to share their wisdom, experiences and scientific findings regarding fitness and better food choices.

We dine at a family-owned Chinese Restaurant for special events and it has been a tradition for years. I am seriously going to have to review the menu and make a better choice than in the past. Looking for something perhaps healthier than my usual lo mein or lemon chicken and a spring roll. Any suggestions or do you have a favorite Chinese dish that you care to share?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Let me say thank you to the MFP folks that are willing to share their wisdom, experiences and scientific findings regarding fitness and better food choices.

We dine at a family-owned Chinese Restaurant for special events and it has been a tradition for years. I am seriously going to have to review the menu and make a better choice than in the past. Looking for something perhaps healthier than my usual lo mein or lemon chicken and a spring roll. Any suggestions or do you have a favorite Chinese dish that you care to share?

Gong bao chicken, dan dan noodles, green tea smoked duck
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    avoid soy sauce like the plague, man talk about some HIGH SODIUM
  • spotina
    spotina Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually get wonton soup and eat not more than half the order of steamed chicken and veggies...I never feel like a coma after eating that, the prep method and no sauce makes such a difference.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options

Gong bao chicken, dan dan noodles, green tea smoked duck

THANKS ! I checked the online menu and they do have Gong bao - and it sounds really good. I might ask them to make it a bit milder instead of hot. THANKS - I'm going to try it.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    I usually get wonton soup and eat not more than half the order of steamed chicken and veggies...I never feel like a coma after eating that, the prep method and no sauce makes such a difference.

I, too, like wonton soup. That is a super idea for the steamed chicken and veggies - or I could order sauce on the side. Thanks !!!
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options

I looked up "our" brand of soy sauce - you are NOT KIDDIN' !! I knew it was loaded but had never really thought about it until now. 920 mg for 1 tablespoon!!! I am so thankful have only used a few drops here and there (I prefer the hot mustard). But I want to thank you because my husband literally pours soy sauce on his egg roll until is runs out of the bottom!! He and I will be having a talk. Thank you.
  • corinnelapolt
    Options

I looked up "our" brand of soy sauce - you are NOT KIDDIN' !! I knew it was loaded but had never really thought about it until now. 920 mg for 1 tablespoon!!! I am so thankful have only used a few drops here and there (I prefer the hot mustard). But I want to thank you because my husband literally pours soy sauce on his egg roll until is runs out of the bottom!! He and I will be having a talk. Thank you.

Bragg's Liquid Amino is a soy sauce replacement. You can find it in the health food section and it's fabulous!
  • corinnelapolt
    Options
    My office ordered chinese food in today for a birthday celebration. I ended up getting steamed chicken and mixed veggies; it came with steamed brown rice. A little chinese mustard and a little soy sauce made that a really yummy lunch. I was totally happy with it and in fact, ate left overs for dinner!
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    My office ordered chinese food in today for a birthday celebration. I ended up getting steamed chicken and mixed veggies; it came with steamed brown rice. A little chinese mustard and a little soy sauce made that a really yummy lunch. I was totally happy with it and in fact, ate left overs for dinner!

Well "hello there" LOL - I just saw your diary and it is awesome ! Excellent to split the order. Thanks - Just plain steamed is so good and the wait staff will be stunned and amazed (LOL) at my new way of ordering. :)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My husband love Chinese so we eat it a lot. My go to favourite is a war wonton. This is a wonton soup with vegetables, shrimp and a bit of barbecued pork in it. I often ask them to limit the # of wontons and put in more veggies ...they are good with that. Salt levels are probably high but this is otherwise a low cal and healthy meal.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options

Bragg's Liquid Amino is a soy sauce replacement. You can find it in the health food section and it's fabulous!

Thank you for the soy alternative suggestion! Most definitely will ask my husband to give an alternative a try. Thanks.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    My husband love Chinese so we eat it a lot. My go to favourite is a war wonton. This is a wonton soup with vegetables, shrimp and a bit of barbecued pork in it. I often ask them to limit the # of wontons and put in more veggies ...they are good with that. Salt levels are probably high but this is otherwise a low cal and healthy meal.

Thank you. I have never heard of war wonton soup but it does sound really tasty. I also like bean cake soup. But the idea of having veggies with the wonton is a great idea (thinking I could get that done easily enough.) Thank you.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Since I have to avoid gluten, Chinese restaurants are extra challenging for me. The little one near my home, however, has a gluten-free menu that consists of a steamed protein of your choice along with steamed vegetables, rice, and their white sauce on the side for dipping. The sauce is so incredibly good that I am perfectly happy to have the same dish every time I go there. I think any Chinese restaurant will do steamed rice and veggies, and if you ask for the sauce on the side you have more control over how much you actually eat of it.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    The guys I share a office with get Chinese takeout about once a week my order used to be General Tso chicken but now I go for a wonton soup and a order of Shrimp with Snow peas very filling.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Since I have to avoid gluten, Chinese restaurants are extra challenging for me. The little one near my home, however, has a gluten-free menu that consists of a steamed protein of your choice along with steamed vegetables, rice, and their white sauce on the side for dipping. The sauce is so incredibly good that I am perfectly happy to have the same dish every time I go there. I think any Chinese restaurant will do steamed rice and veggies, and if you ask for the sauce on the side you have more control over how much you actually eat of it.

I usually order the steamed rice but to have the sauce on the side will be key for me. Thank you! Also the steamed protein will work great for me - thank you.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    The guys I share a office with get Chinese takeout about once a week my order used to be General Tso chicken but now I go for a wonton soup and a order of Shrimp with Snow peas very filling.

You have made a terrific change! Snow peas are so good and love steamed shrimp - good combination for me also. Thank you so much.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Thank you everyone. You all had some terrific ideas for me to try. I appreciate your time. Thanks !
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Bragg's isn't lower in sodium. It just has a smaller serving size (like 1 or 2 tsp), so it appears to have half the sodium. Maybe there's a low sodium version though?? It is gluten free, so maybe that's a plus for some people...
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options

Bragg's isn't lower in sodium. It just has a smaller serving size (like 1 or 2 tsp), so it appears to have half the sodium. Maybe there's a low sodium version though?? It is gluten free, so maybe that's a plus for some people...

Thanks for the info. Definitely I will check serving size !
  • recoveryjunky
    recoveryjunky Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You could do the old "order what you want and ask them to bring a box with your meal" trick :) then you get chinese twice! Or more with some of those serving sizes...