Weight watchers and MFP

Options
I had great success with weight watchers last year. I did the research online and did my own at home free version of it. I was thinking about starting it up agian but i wasnt surehow to enter it into MFP being fruits are free foods and most veggies (on weight watchers points plus). Has anyone else done both? Any tips.

Replies

• Bubba_Furley
    Bubba_Furley Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just my thoughts as I did WW for awhile and some things about the program really bothered me. 1. The only free thing is water... Fruit and Veg have calories. You can still be over weight eating too many fruit and vegs. Everything counts. 2. All the weight watchers products are full of JUNK! They push all their products and everything costs so much. Seriously doubt you will recongize any of the ingredients in the food products. They also put fiber in things where it shouldn't be to lower the point value. 3. My biggest complaint. How are you suppose to sustain your weight after the program? They don't teach you life style changes. There is no such thing as a point. There are calories and calories are what counts.

I know I am hard on their program but I really think your better off tracking calories and learning to maintain that life style.
  • Holdensmommy810
    Options
    Thanks for the input. on the newer plan fruits and most veggies are free but im getting confused trying to track points and logging so im just sticking to logging on here but what i get out of the WW thing is more veggies and good carbs and protein and less crap....same as everything else. thanks agian!
  • suneyedgirl13
    suneyedgirl13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing both! I had success with WW in the past (went from 138 lbs. to 126 lbs. morning weight in about 2 months), but fell off the train on a vacation and am just now getting back after gaining back that weight and some extra. My main criticisms of the WW program are 1) cost, and 2) I 100% believe it causes you to starve yourself if you are both a) within the upper weight range of folks receiving the lowest goal of 26 daily PointsPlus, and b) not prone to eating many extra fruits and vegetables. To fix those problems I have devised a hybrid method of using the points system (I purchased a PointsPlus calculator online as I could no longer afford a subscription) because I appreciate the idea of flex points, but also tracking what I eat here. That way, I can make sure to eat extra fruits and veggies to bump myself up to 1200 calories...I find that I usually eat closer to 1000 if I follow WW and do not make a point of eating ~200-300 calories worth of fruits and veggies per day that are not incorporated into a dish. It is also, of course, important to focus on eating "real" and whole foods. I don't buy any of the WW endorsed products, I just eat real food made from healthy ingredients in sensible portions.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you want to use a point system

http://www.fooducate.com/

fooducate works well with mfp.. Better than WW as it is free.

Enter the food and it will come up with a point system for dieting but more importantly will break down the additives , one no longer needs a degree in chemistry to understand the ingredients on the label. Fooducate does it for you in simple speak, click on each item it brings up eg. natural flavoring and it will provide info the downside of consuming that product. Some can be harmful. A number of ingredients are allowed in American products that are banned in Europe.

It also rates the product eg. a D Cplus, B,or A
  • teganjessica
    teganjessica Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I too have done ww and have made goal weight once but find tracking the calories and exercise more successful for dropping the weight. It really comes down to what works best for you . I wish you the best of luck
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Weight Watcher is a big business built on failure and the repeat business of people returning time and again. It is owned by Heinz, do a wiki on it. For eg. they sold part of their interest in the company to a European Investment Firm for $735 million.
    More so it is in the business of selling it's food which in my opinion is junk, Put some of their product into Fooducate and read the results.

BBC did a documentary on My Big fat low fat diet where weight watchers products were challenged {also on you tube.

Go to You Tube and search "the men who made us thin" It is a BBC documentary on the diet industry in which WW is featured. The diet industry is worth in the multi millions.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    The diet industry is worth in the multi millions.
    It's so ironic, considering the whole point of dieting is to eat *less*, so in theory a diet should make you spend less money on food. Of course businesses/economies can't stand the idea of people spending *less* money, so they concoct ways to convince people to pay more money for less calories, lol.

I don't buy anyone's gimmick plans, I buy real food in smaller, leaner portions. Nowadays I spend about a third of what I used to spend on groceries when I wasn't dieting :-) The diet industry would like my head on a platter :-P