Eating with no hunger...

Options
Hi! I was wondering if anybody else thinks it's a good idea to eat when they are not hungry. It's lunch time here in Philadelphia, and I'm not hungry. But because I don't want to skip a meal, I'm planning to eat anyways. I'm currently following a derivative of the paleo diet - which means I eat a lot of protein. That could be the reason why I'm not hungry at the moment. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Lily_Rose
    Lily_Rose Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think that is exactly why you are not hungry. Protein does that to me too.
    Speaking only for myself, I only eat when I am hungry. I figure why put more calories in my body when I'm trying to lose weight? Besides, my body knows when it needs fuel and tells me so (loudly).
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all my calorie everyday, not matter what. I don't get that hungry because I'm eating all the time. 3 meals and two or three snacks, I'm almost never "hungry". If I let myself get really hungry I start making...let's say "not so healthy" food choices. So I like eating something small every two hours and meals every four hours. I hope you find a way that works for you and good luck on your journey.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would snack on a little something, even if it just a bar or fruit. The problem with not eating when you’re not hungry is, you will miss a meal, then when it comes time for the next one you could be very hungry then there that chance of going overboard.

I try to eat things that do last over time, so in theory I never get hungry but still maintain grazing 6 times a day.

But do what works for you and listen to your body.
  • MrsUnderwood
    Options
    My husband has a friend who is a personal trainer. He recently told him that you should think of your stomach like a glass of water. Things like sugar will quickly dissolve in that water, but if you stick a piece of meat in there it takes a lot longer to dissolve. There is more for the body to feed off of so it feels fed longer. I know that doesn't answer your original question but I found it an interesting thought.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks all! I've prepared my lunch... it's there when I want it. I'll eat in another 30 minutes or so... maybe I'll feel differently then. :-)
  • Annista
    Annista Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would eat something. I find that when I eat my next "meal" even when not hungry that I don't overeat. Your metabolism is like a fire and the more small meals you eat every 2-3 hours the hotter it burns.
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    I ate a banana. :-) But I'm definitely not ready for the hearty salad that I've prepared yet... I put it in my food diary, though. So it'll be like my 8 glasses of water - I gotta eat it!
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Great choice. I also heard you should it abit - because you will be starving by your next meal.
  • Natural
    Natural Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    i would eat a little something. doesn't have to be a full meal. i think i've only experienced that twice - the not hungry thing and that's because i had a power bar after my workout and i'm never hungry after eating it. i snack on something or sometimes have a later lunch.