Been struggling - wish me luck!

Options
Hi Everyone!

I've been trying to better my nutritional health in order to lose weight, keep my energy up, and have what I hope will be a generally happier and healthier life. There is a high rate of cancer in my family, and I hope that I don't bring this upon myself too. I've been struggling with this on my own, because most of my friends are fit and thin, or just don't care, and because I can't seem to balance my food properly: too many calories, not enough calories, so on. But, hopefully I find the solution here.

I'm so glad I found this site and community!

Wish me luck! :)

Replies

• Belle695
    Belle695 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good Luck. I have been on and off of this app but recently began going back to the gym and know that the support will be here. I am 46 years old and was just put on high blood pressure meds. My dad died of a heart attack at age 52 and my Mom of emphysema at age 62 so as I approach those ages, I can't help but face mortality and know that I need to get healthy. I live in Texas with my husband and 2 dogs. We live a pretty sedentary life....but I have been going to the gym and have been pretty proud. Any tips would be appreciated, as it has been a long time since I dieted. My older sis went on Weight Watchers when she was 49 (didn't want to go into her 50's heavy)...she went from 180 pounds down to 145 and has kept it off for over 6 years. I don't really have a weight in mind...I just want to look healthy and be able to go shopping somewhere besides the plus size section. I'm 5; 8" so I am thinking I would look good around 150ish. I hope to meet many new friends and work with each other to get healthy. :)
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hello. I am 43, recently diagnosed with Diabetes Type 2. It has been a struggle. I have always been a plus size and did my exercises every now and then but did not have a good relationships with food as I am an emotional eater. When I turned 40 I was in my highest weight and then started the yoyo dieting. It was hard.

When I got my diagnosis of course I had to do something about it and I have to say it has been working so far. It is not easy At ALL! It takes lots of determination. I need to work on my food choices constantly and that is hard for me too. I am getting there. I feel much better specially when I started loosing the weight. I am hoping to lose 50 pounds and finally have a comfortable relationship with food.

If you wish to, add me. I would love the support and be there for you both.

Marta!
  • DesiraeDoll11
    Options
    Try not to think of the negative no matter how hard it'll be not to. In order to be happy you need positive and happy thoughts! Exercising and eating healthy is a great start. You feel better after every workout! I wish you well sweetie! Feel free to add me, we can motivate each other.
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! You'll find MFP is very easy to use! Its encouraging to see other people having great success. So if you'd like you can add me as a friend.
  • Popsing
    Popsing Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This website and app has been a Godsend to me. I do wish you luck, and I also wish patience with yourself. It's not an easy journey, but it is a simple one. Focus on lean proteins, veggies and fruits, plenty of water, and consistent exercise. Start slow, and don't give up if you have a "slip." Your definition of a slip matters, too, because every ten days or so, you should give yourself permission to have a treat/cheat day. Also, the scale is not a measurement of your innate goodness, it's just one way to keep track of how you're doing. I happen to weigh myself every day and have learned about the ups and downs that go with hormones, cycles, water retention, etc. I no longer allow the scale to dictate how I feel about myself, though I have to admit I am thrilled with what I've accomplished in the last six months! Sadly, the woman who told me about this website isn't ready to begin the journey yet. The same six months have passed, and I've dropped over 30 pounds and five dress sizes while she's stayed the same. The time is going to pass anyway, you might as well as be working on your health!

Good luck!
  • PicoJulie
    Options
    Hi! I'm also 5'8'', and my goal is 160 :). I am learning a lot so far. I think something that has been helping me (we'll see how it pans out in the long-run) is any time I want to eat I reach for a fruit or vegetable first or I at least eat one with what I'm craving. Let me know if you have any advice too!
  • PicoJulie
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for your replies! At the end of my second day here this is really helping to keep me motivated. And all of your advice is spectacular!

I've sent all of you friend requests.

:)
  • heathereames
    heathereames Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you...Im so glad I've found this community, there seems to be a lot of great people on here. Will be here to support you as much as you need :) x