Losing weight but no inches??

Options
Hi ! I started my regime 2 months ago and lost almost 8 lbs. I've been fluctuating between 138 and 141 pounds. But I notice I've lost practically no inches! Just 4 inches off my upper body, and maybe an inch off my lower. I've seen so many people with the opposite problem but I don't know why this is happening! Any advice/comments ?

Replies

• bexalicous
    bexalicous Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just got to keep going. I have lost just under a stone and a half and I still find getting into the size down slightly uncomfortable. Don't give up though everyone is different and we all hold fat differently. Main thing is that you're losing and the inches will start to come away, give it time.
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but re-read your post title

I've lost "no inches!....

Yes you have. You've lost nearly 5 inches (12.5cm).

Bearing in mind weight fluctuates, and water weight accounts for some (which could account for some of the weighttloss) I don't think losing 5" is at all bad going for two months.

Hang in there eating sensibly and exercising well and it will come. You are only 8 weeks into a lifestyle change.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I'm worried because I've read about people losing like, 10-12 inches in 2 months. My upper body isn't as big of a problem but my lower body, well, let's just say I need to lose some there. I've been eating all my calories late most nights and literally none in the day----it's become a vicious cycle. Could this be the reason?
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 2 1/2 stone and only lost about 5 inches in 6 months!! Hang in there!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I started to lose inches after 2-3 months into diet, just carry on, don't give up..I am 7 months on diet and 72 lbs lighter, it really works
  • Reecebullet
    Reecebullet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's sometimes harder to see inches lost yourself, as you're always able to check for differences. Even when measuring yourself, it can be wrong by water weight and when you last ate/drank. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will show for it. :)
  • girlinagirdle
    girlinagirdle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not qualified to answer that. But I do know this that weight loss = calories in vs calories out.

The slower it comes off the better and more likely it is you will keep it off (initial large drops are for people who have substantial weight to lose or water weight).

I don't know the reasons behind way you eat how you do. Many people here have different eating cycles (and many are advocates of each one). I just try and stay under my calories, eat (relatively) healthily and regularly and it's working for me slowly but surely.

It might not be what you want to hear but if you carry on consuming less calories then you expend over a sustained period of time you will lose weight. But if you want to lose fat, get healthy and strong and change how you eat and live then you might need to take a closer look at your diet. I can't answer that for you.

It won't happen overnight. We're all in it for the long haul.
  • capriqueen
    Options
    I'm not qualified to answer that. But I do know this that weight loss = calories in vs calories out.

The slower it comes off the better and more likely it is you will keep it off (initial large drops are for people who have substantial weight to lose or water weight).

I don't know the reasons behind way you eat how you do. Many people here have different eating cycles (and many are advocates of each one). I just try and stay under my calories, eat (relatively) healthily and regularly and it's working for me slowly but surely.

It might not be what you want to hear but if you carry on consuming less calories then you expend over a sustained period of time you will lose weight. But if you want to lose fat, get healthy and strong and change how you eat and live then you might need to take a closer look at your diet. I can't answer that for you.

You're absolutely right, but this is happening because I have a night eating problem in general. I account for it in my daily ration usually, but sometimes it gets so bad that I end up needing to fast the next day. But it's still at a deficit (1200-1300 calories).
    That said, I don't eat any unhealthy food, though I occasionally have some chocolate. I mostly eat brown rice, low-fat lentil dishes, veggies and multi-grain cereal. It's just that my timings are skewed, which worries me.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

You're absolutely right, but this is happening because I have a night eating problem in general. I account for it in my daily ration usually, but sometimes it gets so bad that I end up needing to fast the next day. But it's still at a deficit (1200-1300 calories).
    That said, I don't eat any unhealthy food, though I occasionally have some chocolate. I mostly eat brown rice, low-fat lentil dishes, veggies and multi-grain cereal. It's just that my timings are skewed, which worries me.

It's perfectly normal to want to eat more at certain times of the day. I also like to eat in the evening so I save most of my calories for this, and meal timing has absolutely no effect on weight loss whatsoever. You just need a deficit.

However, when you say 1200 - 1300 calorie deficit, is that in a DAY? If so, that will be the reason for your night time cravings as you are simply not eating enough.

As for inches, according to your ticker you only have 18lb to lose, so you aren't going to have any drastic body changes like people with a lot to lose. I didn't even start changing shape until I'd lost 23lb, but your body will get rid of the fat you can't see first - the internal fat around your organs, the most important fat to lose.

fat-and-skinny-xray_zps55b87c5e.jpeg
  • capriqueen
    Options

It's perfectly normal to want to eat more at certain times of the day. I also like to eat in the evening so I save most of my calories for this, and meal timing has absolutely no effect on weight loss whatsoever. You just need a deficit.

However, when you say 1200 - 1300 calorie deficit, is that in a DAY? If so, that will be the reason for your night time cravings as you are simply not eating enough.

As for inches, according to your ticker you only have 18lb to lose, so you aren't going to have any drastic body changes like people with a lot to lose. I didn't even start changing shape until I'd lost 23lb, but your body will get rid of the fat you can't see first - the internal fat around your organs, the most important fat to lose.

fat-and-skinny-xray_zps55b87c5e.jpeg

A lot of people said 1200-1300 calories isn't enough, but what do I do? I burn 1900 calories a day, and I eat at maintenance once a week. I eat at a 600-700 deficit to lose a half kilo per week. That brings my total to 1200-1300! I could probably eat more if I exercised more( right now I only do a half hour of circuit training a week) but I'm still trying to squeeze time for some more exercise.