Too much protein?

Options
Is there such thing as too much protein. My daily requirements are 66 grams but I usually have around 100 grams. Will this affect my weight loss in any way? My calories stay within my daily goal.

Thanks guys

Replies

• WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    Use this to calculate your macronutrients.

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • fatslayer93
    Options
    thats for that :) According to that link I need much more calories and protein. Interesting haha
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    no such thing.......if someone says there is ......they are wrong. The end.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    excessive consumption of protein can sap calcium from your bones, but 66-100 seems totally fine.
  • ithina
    ithina Posts: 23
    Options
    Too much can be bad for your kidneys and things.. I imagine 100g a day should be fine. I'm aiming for 120g of protein, which is 30% of my calories for the day.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Too much misinformation. Protein is good.........it wont hurt you unless you have underlying problems.

100th time I have posted this link?

Layne Norton who has a PHD in protein metabolism.

BioLayne Video Log 4 - Myths About Protein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLEEE569A5A86E2E19
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a kidney disorder, no.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    66g, not enough. You can have some more broteins.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Will this affect my weight loss in any way?
    Yes, this will affect your weight loss. You will lose less lean body mass than if you were eating the recommended amount of protein, and will probably lose more fat. This is a good thing.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes you can get too much protein IF you get too little fat and other nutrients.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

That said, let me quote off that page:
    It has been observed that the human liver cannot safely metabolise much more than 285-365 g of protein per day (for an 80 kg person), and human kidneys are similarly limited in their capability to remove urea (a byproduct of protein catabolism) from the bloodstream.

In other words, assuming you're healthy other than weight... if you weigh 80kg (176lbs) you can safely metabolize at least 285g of protein a day... EVERY day. Most days you're not going to be anywhere NEAR that. If you get too little you'll limit your bodies ability to repair muscular damage. If in doubt... err on the high side... a good safe minimum number is your weight in kg in grams of protein.

If you get too much and not enough carbohydrates (assuming you're not in keto) you might feel a bit a bit low energy.

If you get too few you're likely to not recover well from exercise and over time will lose lean muscle if you're very far under and active.
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Too much misinformation. Protein is good.........it wont hurt you unless you have underlying problems.

100th time I have posted this link?

Layne Norton who has a PHD in protein metabolism.

BioLayne Video Log 4 - Myths About Protein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLEEE569A5A86E2E19

Great to see someone else referencing Layne!

OP, 100g of protein is definitely not too much, don't be concerned about that. :)
  • landodewd
    landodewd Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the video!
  • fatslayer93
    Options
    Thanks for everyones replies. Still kind of confused lol but thanks :P
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyones replies. Still kind of confused lol but thanks :P
    What are you still confused about?
  • fastfoodv
    Options
    Balance is important. Aim for the healthy plate in which one-half of the plate is non-starchy veggies, one-quarter of the plate is starch and the other quarter is lean protein. Fruit and nonfat/low fat dairy are outside the plate.

Get an exclusive look at Lisa's new book STOP THE DIET, I WANT TO GET OFF! at www.stopthediet.com and visit Lisa Tillinger Johansen at www.consultthedietician.com on Facebook at Lisa Tillinger Johansen and on Twitter @LisaTJohansen