Question about lifting weights and protein

Options
Hey guys! I have a question: what happens if you start weightlifting without actually consuming the amount of protein you need? If you go even lower than the your needed daily "dose"?

Replies

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I have a question: what happens if you start weightlifting without actually consuming the amount of protein you need? If you go even lower than the your needed daily "dose"?

How low?
  • theguiltyone
    Options
    Say, you need around 100-120 a day and you only consume around 50-60?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Say, you need around 100-120 a day and you only consume around 50-60?

Age, weight, etc?
  • Jacob_Whittle
    Options
    Its likely you will start losing weight the same way you would if you started a cardio program. A low protein diet slows down the speed at which your muscles will heal after intense weight lifting and you probably wont put on any serious muscle gains (you might even lose a little)

If your going to be weightlifting i would recommend you eat more protein but then again if you just want to lose weight and tone up it should be okay
  • theguiltyone
    Options
    I'm 5'6", and am around 120 lbs now. I've been lifting for about 6 weeks MWF, and Tabata TTH, and sadly I don't think I've seen progress. Maybe it's because I don't consume the "required" amount of protein for bulking? But I just want to be leaner and defined. Any suggestions on how to achieve this?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I'm 5'6", and am around 120 lbs now. I've been lifting for about 6 weeks MWF, and Tabata TTH, and sadly I don't think I've seen progress. Maybe it's because I don't consume the "required" amount of protein for bulking? But I just want to be leaner and defined. Any suggestions on how to achieve this?

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

It was helpful for me. You don't need 120g per day. And there are cheap ways to get it up just a little bit higher, which is all you need.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type, age, weight, male/female etc... Personally, I haven't really every under eaten on my protein macros because I follow them as close as possible..

If you need some help with advice, tips etc for bulking, send me through an invite and a little message and I'll get back to you :) I'm more than interested to help those in need
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

What progress are you wanting? You say leaner and defined which means losing fat which requires a calorie deficit. But, at your height and weight, it might be hard, depending on your current bodynfat percentage, so you might consider gaining some muscle which requires eating at a surplus. Give that at least 6 months to really see a difference, then you can either cut again, continue bulking or maintain if you're happy.
  • pcastagner
    Options

What progress are you wanting? You say leaner and defined which means losing fat which requires a calorie deficit. But, at your height and weight, it might be hard, depending on your current bodynfat percentage, so you might consider gaining some muscle which requires eating at a surplus. Give that at least 6 months to really see a difference, then you can either cut again, continue bulking or maintain if you're happy.

Long Cut/bulk cycles are not the only way to go. Leangains, baby!
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure 50-60g of protein would even be the official government RDA figure for an adult, which most know by now is not enough to ensure consistent training progression. Also if you intend to gain muscle running tabata style whatever (you don't specify what it is) 3 times a week is likely counter productive especially as your diet seems to be from your OP on a very tight margin. Are you worried about gaining excess fat or something? Do you want to tell us your overall macro and calorie breakdown for a standard day and see if you are eating enough for your goal? How much do you want to gain?
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For a 5'6, 120lb male I would actually be concerned more with gaining weight rather than leaning out. Besides protein, how many calories are you consuming????
  • Michaeljferreira17
    Options
    If you are bulking you are going to want to be eating excessive amounts of protein. Looking at your stats leaning should be the least of your concern. You should be eating tons while keeping your diet relatively clean and maintaining a good workout regimen. 5'6 and 120 pds is way to thin to be worried about cutting.