5 k walk a day.

Options
Today I just finished my first week of walking jogging 5k a day! When I started a week ago it took me an hour 15 to complete. Today I came in at 52 minutes! I can't believe how great I feel! Still I have been lucky with no rain, and it is summer. I have been walking up the hills and jogging down then, but eventually I want to run the whole thing. My route is actually 3.3 miles. I am signing up for a fundraiser 5k in my community by next month!

This is great. My trepidation is getting stymied by the weather as winter comes. Any suggestions for the inevitable rainy days? and snow storms. I still want to give an hour a day, but it need not be only running walking related

Thanks.

Replies

• FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I live in a high weather zone.
    Unless we're having a storm, I'll be out getting my daily 3 to 5.
    Just dress right and keep moving.
    On super nasty days, maybe do T25.
    Of course, there's always the gym option.

Congrats on finishing week 1! :)
  • huizenm
    huizenm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great job!! That is so awesome! Have you ever thought of trying the Couch to 5K program? That's how I got started with running. It's a great program and easy to follow.

Ever thought of running in the weather as it is? They make all kinds of clothing for all kinds of weather. Yak Trax are my best friend on the snowy days! Do you have a treadmill you can use? Or you can try workout DVD's. There are MILLIONS to choose from. How about taking a class at your local gym? Pick up some weights and start doing some weight training in addition to your cardio.

Good Luck to you!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    unless you're the wicked witch of the west, a little rain won't hurt you.

i've been caught out in rain and snow and i survived. you can too! :tongue:
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    well done.
    weather doesnt bother me but if its really bad then i would concentrate on my food intake and do exercise at home.

never over train as it sets you up for failure imo

70% is diet and 30% is excersise imo
  • fatnat777
    Options
    Embrace the weather! Cold wind in your face, cool rain, all so refreshing! It's invigorating! Well, for me it is! Keep up the good work!
  • andertonarms
    andertonarms Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Get a dog and you always have to go out. People with a dog are on average 14lb lighter.

The important thing is that you sound like you are enjoying the exercise. Endorphines are ace.
  • lisa4djw
    Options
    Well done.
    I agree with the others but home exercise can be just as beneficial. Have you thought about Rebounding? Fantastic way to burn off those calories approx 210 calories burnt for 30 mins. Although you do have a small outlay for the trampette (between £25 and £50) its an alternative for the real bad weather. I usually do 30 mins morning and evening when I cant make the gym. The benefits are excellent too.... Kinder to joints helps the lymphatic system to name a few. Wasn't convinced myself until I tried it but perhaps you could give it a go :)