Exercise

Options
I'm Joellen and I am just beginning MFP. My question is if I don't do cardiac or weight training does just being active count for any calorie expenditure? For instance, in a day I may do errands, go to grocery and carry them in, clean, etc. I may not be sedentary until 4 or 5 o'clock. If I am supposed to count this type of activity, how do I establish a number? Thanks!

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi Joellen,

Welcome to MFP

Am fairly new to this myself but your lifestyle doesn't sound sedentary to me. Personally I would go for the next level up when setting your MFP numbers up. This will then take into account normal daily activity and you would only have to log extra exercise that you wouldn't normally have done.

Others may be better placed to comment than I am but the way I tend to look at things is give it a try, if it feels wrong you can always tweak things a bit
  • Msjoellen
    Options
    THANKS!
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I clean my house everyday for 30 - 45 minutes. I have kids and pets and there is simply no way around this. Also, I mow my yard, pushing, once a week, wash my car, etc. Daily activities that most of us do. If you look under the cardio options, cleaning is listed; i think you have two choices - light and vigorous and it burns quite a few calories. Also, push mowing is too! Several things that we do every day is listed. Just keep track so that you can accurately report them!
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey - I just looked, and cleaning house, preparing meals, mowing, yard work, etc can count. Just look them up under cardio. Also, shopping, if you are walking can count as walking - just choose the walking speed that accurately fits (most of us don't walk through the grocery store at 5.0 mph) lol.... Good luck. I have been on this site for over a year, but just recently committed to the lifestyle. I feel great already. I hope this goes well for you!
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) is what you routinely do on a daily basis. It is what you normally burn. If you shop, pick up clothes off the floor, clean or do anything that you would call routine then I find it easier to move my level of fitness with MFP from Sedentary to one of the higher levels rather than run myself ragged trying to log every little thing I do when I am not on the couch watching TV. What I try to keep a log of is activities I do that cause me to perspire or raise my heart rate level up into the 100's: Fast walking, heavy lifting, jogging, running, exercise videos, HIIT, etc. You might search topics in MFP as TDEE or BMR to educate yourself. You might lose weight initially by logging these exercise items and starving yourself but you will soon plateau and become frustrated unless you set realistic goals, an exercise regimen and/or maintain a healthy dietary lifestyle. Good luck!