No Matter How Overwhelming

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just want to start off by saying that I hope this message will at least touch some of you in a positive way. I started off my journey with MFP on Monday, July 29, 2013 (tomorrow is my one month anniversary with MFP). I started my journey having to lose 108 LBS to be exact. I weighed in at 248.0 LBS exact. I said to myself this was too high of a number to lose.

However, I didn't let that stop me. I was tired of watching people enjoy their lives while I sat in hiding with food. I knew that something had to be done. No matter how big the number. I decided if I wanted to succeed on MFP, I would have to set realistic goals. Some of those realistic goals are :

- eating at calorie deficit (not living off of 800 calories a day)
- being committed to logging and weighing and measuring every single crumb that enters my mouth
- not expecting 10 lbs weight losses every week (like I did in the past)
- not depriving myself of ANY type of food (the type of food is not what got me this big, it was the PORTION SIZE)
- logging each and every single day on MFP
- participating and reading the forums on this site (very inspirational, motivating, and informative)
- interacting with the wonderful MFP friends I have (they are great and so inspiring to me)
- I never make tracking my calories a chore (after all my body works for me 24/7) just to keep me alive

For someone out there reading this, today may be your first day on this journey. You may have 100, 200, 300, 400 lbs to lose. I know it is really hard to look at this big picture. But keep in mind that if you believe in yourself this will happen. I found that as soon as I accepted that this will be a change I will have to put into practice for the rest of my life, the journey became easier.

By being committed, and honest on this journey, I now have 89.6 LBS left to lose. Yes, that number is still too much to handle. But, I keep positive, and take my weight loss goals in decade mini increments. I also take measurements of my success. Sometimes it's just not on the scale. It's in the way our clothes fit, how much more energy we have, how happier we are with ourselves. It makes the journey more doable and fun :)

Watch out 210's I am coming for you ;)

trackmyday1973

Replies

• BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Great attitude. Stick with your goals and you'll get to where you want to be.

Great advice for beginners too!
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, sounds like you have the right attitude.

Its not a race, its a new way of life and each and every day you are getting fitter and eating more healthily.

Well done x
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Great attitude - it's all about 1lb at a time.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Great job! So proud of you and honored to be a part of your friend list! :flowerforyou:
  • trackmyday1973
    Options
    Great job! So proud of you and honored to be a part of your friend list! :flowerforyou:

I am honored to have you on my list :)

Thanks for having accepted :)
  • herrlisheim
    Options
    Hello…. New here today…. Try last year but gave up .... so here we are again. I also have a very long journey ahead 70lbs to lose and not much willpower so when I read your post it have given me a real boost !! Tips, advice, words of wisdom all very welcome.
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Such awesome advice. Congratulations on your success and good luck on your journey. :bigsmile:
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Fantastic - good luck for the future and well done on what you have achieved so far. Every small step is a step closer to our goals.
  • trackmyday1973
    Options
    I was telling my friends on MFP that I am sitting at my work chair. My love handles no longer touch the handles of my chair :)

I love this.

My main piece of advice is, on this journey take every NSV and appreciate it :)
  • jimgould1
    jimgould1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I am trying to get back on track after a tough summer. Your word were just what I needed.
  • Allyoopadoop
    Allyoopadoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been here about as long as you have and have lost approximately the same amount of weight. I have over 100 to lose and I thought it was impossible to do. I am grateful to the support of my husband and my friends here at MFP. Logging every morsel I eat (and weighing it to be sure) has been incredibly helpful to me. The best day was when I went into my drawer and pulled out three pairs of pants that I like but couldn't wear and having them fit me well. One of those pairs of pants was purchased over a year or so ago and I never tried them on in the store. When I got them home and I couldn't close them I was so demoralized that I couldn't bring myself to bring them back to the store. When they fit in August, I was so happy! Thanks for being on this journey with me.
  • mistij68
    mistij68 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good for you! What a positive attitude! You're making great strides one day and one pound at a time! Good Job!:smile:
  • pippywillow
    pippywillow Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Very inspirational post, thank you! I needed that reminder today, I've been slipping lately.
  • hoffmann_maddy
    hoffmann_maddy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i really needed this today as i have not been on MFP that long and have already felt discourgaged and gotten sloppy with my logging and food choices. After reading this, i have that spart back that i needed to get my but into gear. Thank you for posting this and sharing your story.
  • trackmyday1973
    Options
    i really needed this today as i have not been on MFP that long and have already felt discourgaged and gotten sloppy with my logging and food choices. After reading this, i have that spart back that i needed to get my but into gear. Thank you for posting this and sharing your story.

My pleasure :)

I am glad this post could help:)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    That is such a good attitude, and so realistic!

There are no quick fixes, and inevitably the more you have to lose the longer it will take. But by approaching it realistically you won't be comparing yourself to people with 5lb to lose, you won't starve yourself into boredom (arggh! not another salad - I'm giving up! type of thing) and you will be setting yourself up for a healthy long-term lifestyle.

As I found on vacation, logging properly needs scales and consistency. You log you lose, you give up (or *ahem* cheat/"forget" something) you gain.

Someone said to me the other day "what wouldn't I give to lose over 2 stone". Would she give up eating everything in front of her (i.e finishing up all the leftovers), give up sitting in front of the TV all evening with a family bag of Maltesers, give up driving her car instead of walking to the shops, give up pastry with her coffee when meeting friends? Eeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmmmm...no. So give anything except effort, was what she meant!

If you want it enough you can do it. Its hard, but its not complicated.
  • robbree98
    robbree98 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    way to go!!! keep it up and take it day by day :smile:
  • 616Junebug
    616Junebug Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great post. It is about small steps that make a big difference! One step at a time. It is about the journey not just the destination. :happy: