Treadmill terror

Options
Hello! This is my first time using the message boards. I have never in my life been a sporty person, but have started going to the gym 3-4 times a week to try and get myself more fit. I wouldn't say I enjoy using the crosstrainer or the bike yet but I can just about bear them with some good music on :smile:. I would really like to start jogging or maybe even running on a treadmill but, as pathetic as this sounds, I find them really scary! Everyone else seems to pound away on them with ease but even when I use one for an uphill walk I just can't seem to get my arms in the right rhythm. I feel like when I take my hands off the bars in front of me I lose all coordination! Has anyone else felt this way or does anyone have any tips to help me out? I am a bit too shy to ask someone who works in the gym for fear they will think I am ridiculous (maybe not such a bad judgement on their part!) Thanks for your help!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    go for a walk outside
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    go for a walk outside

^ This. Is there a reason why you just don't walk outside?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I loathe cardio machines with a fiery passion. I'm not so into doing things that I loathe.

Get outside and go for a walk or run. Pick up a sport like tennis, or golf (walking, no cart), etc. The point is to find something that you personally enjoy so that you keep doing it.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    get on it and put your speed up to what you normally walk--probably around 3.4 mph. Then let go of the bar and let your hands swing like walking on the road. you'll find your stride--you have to relax.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Walk at a slower speed without holding on until you get the hang of things. Then slowly speed up as you feel comfortable.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, I do mine all outside walking,
    enjoy the weather
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you hold on if you're not ready to let go yet.

The more you stick with it, the more your endurance will build up and your confidence, maybe even slow down a bit before you let go of the bars.

Just keep going, keep trying :happy: You'll get it... you'll see
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of treadmills either to be honest. I think it's because I have poor running stance (I can feel my feet pounding into the treadmill/ground more than they should, so I know I'm not running properly, but don't like running enough to learn how to do it properly).

I like the elliptical/crosstrainer better for myself because I don't feel like I'm going to fall off and fly backwards if I miss-step, but everyone is different. If you're not comfortable with machines, run outside first (while the weather's still nice!) and then transfer yourself indoors when you're more comfortable with running?
  • Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    for a good laugh, read my blog about what happened yesterday. I feel your pain....lol
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the treadmill either. If I'm going to walk or run, I'd much rather do so outside. However, since you asked for advice, I'd say start using it and hold onto the handles at first if you feel you need to. Once you get more comfortable, let go and try to swing your arms naturally. If you feel off balance, grab back on to the handles. Hopefully with time you'll get used to it.

But honestly, if you don't like doing something, there's really no need to force yourself to do it. Just keep using the other machines and leave the treadmill alone.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    go for a walk outside
    This.

I LOATHE the treadmill. I will do anything to avoid it. I walk and jog outside, up and down hills, flat surfaces, whatever, and I love it.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to be able to use a treadmill without holding on for balance, and it made me feel really uncoordinated. I was a jock, I'm NOT uncoordinated! LOL

Outside walking is best - I find it burns more calories than the treadmill, and being outside is so much better for me mentally. But the days are getting shorter here so I'll be back to the gym in another month or so.

Take your time and you'll find your stride without holding on.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I admit it, I have fallen off the back of a treadmill.

Start slow. walk until you have a nice pace, then start playing with the incline and speed.

Also, I have to pay attention to what I'm doing. I can listen to music, but watching TV or especially reading is a disaster waiting to happen to me.
  • CycleFlow
    Options
    Try walking at a slower pace and then letting go. (the type pf pace you might leisurely walk on the side walk - like a stroll - maybe 2.0 /mp ) It will probably just take some time for it to come naturally. If you dont habitually do coordinated movements your body and mind need to develop those skills. Try adding a little yoga and balance practise to your routine. You might find that also helps.

Its a practise thing - you didnt balance a bicycle the first time your rode it either.
    :D
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    just walk outside..it's liberating...and it's what I did before I took up running.

But if you must use a treadmill please DONT:

Cling to the damn thing for dear life on a silly incline...I used to see so many people doing this when I was a gym member and holding on to the guard rails whilst setting such a steep incline negates any real benefit from using the treadmill.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have been using the treadmills at the gym for about 10 months. I still hold on. As soon as I let go, I start wobbling around and I'm afraid I'm going to fall. I can actually feel the machine rocking. I'm not sure wha the problem is with my balance, but its there. However, I still use them. I just hold on...not with a death grip, but have my hands loosely on the machine. It helps. There are some people who will say that you won't burn as many calories that way, and maybe they are right. However, I'm still down 60lbs so something is working.

If you are afraid, hold onto the machine or don't use it. If you are good on other machines, you are doing cardio and that's the important thing. Walk outside. You have other options.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    just walk outside..it's liberating...and it's what I did before I took up running.

But if you must use a treadmill please DONT:

Cling to the damn thing for dear life on a silly incline...I used to see so many people doing this when I was a gym member and holding on to the guard rails whilst setting such a steep incline negates any real benefit from using the treadmill.

Seriously! I always see girls at the gym who put the incline up as far as it will go and then cling for life to the front of the treadmill. Annoys me! :noway: I can't wait until they figure out that they would be getting a much better workout by taking it down to the point where they don't need to hang on.
  • fitnessn00bie
    fitnessn00bie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I especially liked the comment about learning to ride a bike, will keep that in mind! I do understand what everyone is saying about how I should just go outside. The only reason I've not been doing that is because I have just moved to a very central part of London so by the time I have finished work my street (Oxford Street) is still manic and the quieter back streets are a little scary to run along on my own in the dark - still getting used to this big city thing! I will give it a go though while the daylight lasts longer! :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys - I especially liked the comment about learning to ride a bike, will keep that in mind! I do understand what everyone is saying about how I should just go outside. The only reason I've not been doing that is because I have just moved to a very central part of London so by the time I have finished work my street (Oxford Street) is still manic and the quieter back streets are a little scary to run along on my own in the dark - still getting used to this big city thing! I will give it a go though while the daylight lasts longer! :)

nike has running clubs that meet
    regularly after 6:00 pm at their oxford circus and covent garden stores...be safe to run with a group and you can go right after work :-)
  • fitnessn00bie
    fitnessn00bie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks bluefox9er! Soon as I've got a bit more confidence in my ability, I'll brave it! Hopefully can make some friends that way too.