How do you find the motivation to keep going?

Options
13»

Replies

• jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    this is a very serious question. The bottom line is I never want to go back to where I was. I was to tired all the time, I never had the energy to do anything. I stopped going to the beach with my friends because I did not want to put on a swimsuit. I did not even want to go in the pool with my family because I was embarrassed. My doc was not happy with my cholesterol. Even my little dogs wouldn't sit on my lap because I barely had one (sad, but true) even doing laundry was becoming a hard chore. I was depressed and angry so I put more food in my mouth. My clothes were to tight and getting tighter every day. I didn't want to look in the mirror and I realized I hadn't taken a photo with my kids in 2 years! I was always the one taking the photos not wanting to be in them! I don't ever want to go back to that and think about it every time I start losing my motivation. I took my first full body photo in over to years for my profile pic here! it felt amazing. I have to admit my kids keep me motivated now. They call and ask what ya do today and I can respond with I jogged 4 miles!!! I feel good and that motivates me to keep going. I have made calorie counting a game and my family has been supportive. My daughter (who is 20) has serious obesity that runs on her fathers side of the family, she has always been active but now she is really into fitness and I am proud of her. She looks to me for guidance and now I can give her advice so she has a healthy relationship with food and is not scared of eating or in danger of developing an eating disorder. MFP has been the guiding force behind me keeping motivated. A good group of friends here that do not judge but encourage me to keep going. I have tried ediets, adkins, south beach in the past. All unsustainable. But here, the way we log in our food and know just how much we can eat depending on exercise, has proven to me I can do this and I can do it long term! good luck!
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    It eventually just becomes habit. To you it probably sounds crazy but its true. If it is something that is important you will do it.

You are doing something wrong if you have to try and live this way (diet) Its about lifestyle change not just a short term, hold out as long as you can stand diet. Its about calorie counting not changing all the food you eat for dull bland health food.
  • jetaylor63
    jetaylor63 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    watch this type of *kitten* every night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLv0Vsegmoo

Thank you for this link. I'm going to watch all of these.

No problem, just found this series tonight and it is extremely interesting

Thanks for this. It was exactly what I needed today. :flowerforyou:
  • tavinsmom
    tavinsmom Posts: 101
    Options
    It's not easy, but for me it's my before picture. I have a picture I look at, that I look miserable in. I can tell how unhappy I was just by looking at it.

You also have to stop with the excuses. I'm a single mom, work 2 jobs (average 50-60 hours a week) plus I workout another 5-10 hours a week. It is hard to juggle it all, but I'm making the choice to workout rather than watch tv a night.

I'm not going to say my eating is great, but I do keep in my calories. I still eat fast food sometimes, or have days where I skip meals because I'm so busy. Just try to make the best of it.

I still have a long way to go, and I'm losing very slowly (only 28lbs in 8 months) but I feel so much better, and know I'm doing the right thing for myself and my son.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have to work a lot too, and I had this problem. Something that helps me when I work a lot is to make something in bulk on the weekends and either freeze it or refrigerate it for the week. Salads, casseroles, chili, etc. Crockpot receipes on Sunday are great for this, but really could be anything. Normally, those foods are much better having been made at home than if I were to grab McD's or stuff from a vending machine and much more filling. Also, I found I am more productive and have better work results when I leave work at lunch even if it's just for 10 minutes to go for a walk. It helps reduce my stress. Part of it was an attitude that I wasn't worth the time and effort for this, and I had to change that belief. Why do you feel like you can't make or take time for lunch? Do your other co-workers get lunch? Why are they so much more special than you that they are allowed lunch but you aren't?
  • Esl4541
    Esl4541 Posts: 4
    Options
    You have to pack a lunch! You will be amazed at the effects of that one little change. And don't set the bar so high that you fail. Two pounds per week? Start out at 1/2 pound per week and the success will become the motivator. Good luck.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    WOW sounds like you have nailed it this time and have the right attitude.

I'm not in a hurry to lose it either and just think getting fitter and healthier is the way forward.

Good luck on your journey x
  • feistymoon
    feistymoon Posts: 152
    Options
    Look at the alternative - what more motivation do you need!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    watch this type of *kitten* every night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLv0Vsegmoo

Thank you for this link. I'm going to watch all of these.

Ooh, thanks! I'll check that out tonight.
  • tymaup6
    tymaup6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This one hit the nerve for me....
  • tymaup6
    tymaup6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is an old story that says when seafaring adventurers finally arrived at their destination they burned their ships. There was no going back, they had no choice but to survive.

If you new way of eating is something that has become a lifestyle change, there is no going back. It is only when it is a diet (temporary) that we hop on and off. Burn your ships! The old way of living is gone.

At a certain point, motivation is irrelevant. Your new habits simply becomes the way you live your life.

The thing that crystallized all this for me was realizing that my body has it's own timeline, and I am not in control of how many pounds I lose in a week. It's my job to eat well, track my calories, move every day, and be patient while my body slowly changes. Getting fixated on a certain rate of weight loss sets me up for failure.

Find a way of living that is good to your body, and then just live. Get on with your life and don't over think it.

Motivation is temporary. Will power even more so. :)

SIS
  • gera368
    gera368 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There is an old story that says when seafaring adventurers finally arrived at their destination they burned their ships. There was no going back, they had no choice but to survive.

If you new way of eating is something that has become a lifestyle change, there is no going back. It is only when it is a diet (temporary) that we hop on and off. Burn your ships! The old way of living is gone.

At a certain point, motivation is irrelevant. Your new habits simply becomes the way you live your life.

The thing that crystallized all this for me was realizing that my body has it's own timeline, and I am not in control of how many pounds I lose in a week. It's my job to eat well, track my calories, move every day, and be patient while my body slowly changes. Getting fixated on a certain rate of weight loss sets me up for failure.

Find a way of living that is good to your body, and then just live. Get on with your life and don't over think it.

Motivation is temporary. Will power even more so. :)

SIS

I so agree with this!
    You have to make it a new lifestyle!
    If you want more motivation look for the group "20 lbs down by Christmas"
    We try to lose weight together in a healthy way (with an exercise advise topic)
    Everybody welcome to join!

Gera
This discussion has been closed.