Protein bars/shakes etc.

Options
Boofuls
Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
I really seem to struggle to eat enough protein. I'm not a big meat eater really and it's expensive. Would there be any benefit to me to start using protein shakes? Or should I not worry too much as long as I am hitting my calories?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Are you working out? Protein is especially important for muscle development/ repair, but in general also very important for health, plus it keeps you full. I would definitely try to get at least your minimum, but the general rule is .8 grams per pound of body weight.

There are some decent shakes powders out there, I like EAS myself, but I usually only use it as a convenience if necessary. I prefer to get protein from natural sources, like lean meats, low fat dairy, and eggs.
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I walk for around an hour a day but nothing high intensity. Maybe I should not worry too much till I've lost a bit more weight.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It never hurts to have a simple protein shake throughout the day.

I use isoflex whey protein, strawberry. Just a scoop mixed with water and voila....its one of my snacks.

This stuff:
    http://www.popeyescanada.com/inf_allmax-IsoFLEX.php#.Uh35lRusiVY
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly protein bars and shakes are arguably more expensive than meat.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Premade bars will easily cost you anywhere from 2-4$ a piece, so not really cheaper than meat.

Protein powder, if bought in relatively decent bulk, will cost you less than a $ a serving (~20-30g of protein)

I recently discovered BioX Power Whey complex. The chocolate flavor is awesome - tastes just like milk chocolate!
    I'm also a big fan of Allmax Hexapro. The vanilla flavor is perfect for cooking with!

A 5lbs tub would cost you approx 55-70$ depending if you're in the states or canada and if you can go for free shipping. And that's 50-60 servings. So it comes out to approx 1.5$ per serving if you include whatever milk you fix it with.

You could also go for a 10lbs tub of some of the brands out there. A lot of people swear by optimum gold standard whey. I wasn't a fan when I tried it (try a smaller size first!) But it's like 100$ for 150 servings. *shrugs*