Findig Time To Workout

Options
Finding the time to workout for the next 4 month seems dreadful. I'm starting back in school for the first time in five years yayaya. But with working and school and everything else I can't seem to find the time to even squeeze in a small one. I do bit have a gym membership, so everything I do is at home. Here is a look at a typical week for me.

615 wake up for school and get ready
750 bus to school to be there for 850
850-1220 classes
Bus to work 2-1030pm
Walk home (arrives at around 1o:50-11
Do some homework, shower, and try to be in bed no later than 1215 at night.

This happens monday-friday.
Every other weekend I have off except Saturday I'll work every other Saturday.

If you know of any place I fit in a work out, I need your help

Replies

• Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to get up at 5:30 and getting in a good 25-35 minutes routine - strength with some HIIT. Your walking home is exercise, maybe switch it up and jog some of it, start to run etc.

Also, what are you doing between 12:20 and 2PM when you start work? That could be used for reading/homework so that you can get in to bed a bit earlier.

I hear you, it is hard to fit it in, but when you are ready, and really want it, you will make it happen. I am in the middle of planning my workouts as well, between work, parenting, kids' activities, general adult responsibilities etc. I know for me if I don't make/find the time, it will never be there.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Instead of waking up early, as Linli suggested, you could just work out during that 12:20-2PM break you have. Get in a solid 1 hour workout, and still have 40 minutes to shower, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A couple of things.

1) if it's important to you, you'll find a way to make time. You just do. You don't whine about it, you make it happen. For example... 30 minutes first thing in the morning. 12:20 - 2:00. Run, don't walk, home from work.

2) sometimes other things in life take a higher priority. If you can't exercise, then focus on your diet, tend to the rest of your life, and start exercising when your schedule eases up a bit.
  • silver__shadow
    silver__shadow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Between 1220 and 2pm I am taking the bus to work which is about I'd say a hour bus ride. Then after that I'll pick up and groceries I need for the next few days or sit in the back room at work and try and get a bit of school work done. I am not a morning shower person because I tend to fall asleep right after a shower.

I was thinking about doing the 30day shred video right when I get home at night since it is a full body workout for around 20 min long. Its something. And running home I could do or jog, but would need to invest in a better backpack that's made for running.

Im not making any excuses for myself. I really want to get this weight under control.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I start at 4am.
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you can do it!! You have to want it bad enough, I always said I wanted it but never did it until recently...Here's my schedule:

Monday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's:

4:30am -wake up
    4:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    5:30am-Log my workout and hop in the shower
    6:00am-Make some breakfast for myself and my 4 year old, log on to MFP and see what everyone's doin
    6:30am -wake my son , eat and get him ready for school
    7:00am -leave the house, drop him at school
    7:30am -Arrive at work
    5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son and take him to daddy grab my pre-made dinner
    5:15pm-Drive to class, eat food while driving
    6-9:00 pm-sit through 3hours of lab/lecture
    9:30pm-get home spend a minute with my don bc he will not go to sleep until I am home
    10:00pm-try and study for a bit and try to be bed by 11 pm

Wednesday's:

4:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    6:00am-Make some breakfast for myself and my 4 year old, log on to MFP and see what everyone's doin
    5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son and take him home to eat really fast and change before Tball practice
    5:45pm Leave for T-ball practice
    7:00pm -Head home from practice
    7:15pm-Family time, showers and Tv
    8:30pm-try and do homework and study some, be to bed by 11:00pm at latest

Friday's:

5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son , head home make dinner do laundry and dishes family time, bath time etc
    8:00pm-Put son to bed and do my 2nd DVD for another 28 mins, shower
    9:00pm- Homework/study time, bed by 11

Saturday's That I work (Every other)

5:30am -wake up
    5:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    6:15am-Log my workout and hop in the shower
    2:00pm-Leave work,
    2:30pm Grocery Shopping
    3:30pm -Family time/ running errands/ swimming
    5:30pm Make Dinner/eat
    6:30pm Laundry/cleaning/take stats
    8:00pm Put son to bed, hubby time
    9:00pm Homework and study time, bed by midnight

Saturday's im off:

8:00am- wake up make breakfast/eat
    9:00am- do my stats
    9;30am-shower/get dressed, get son dressed and ready for practice
    10;45am-leave for practice
    12:30pm-get home from practice and make lunch
    1:30pm run any errands grocery store/pet store ect
    5:00pm make dinner / eat / family time
    8:00pm put son to bed/hubby time
    9:00pm homework / study time bed by midnight

Sunday's:

No set schedule but its a busy day doin my stretch dvd, homework cooking meals and cleaning house
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Mornings are my prefect time

4:15-4:30 am- Get out of bed, get my workout clothes on & eat a small meal
    5:00 am- Arrive at the gym
    6:00 am- Leave & go back home. Get my 4 kids up for school, make them breakfast, eat part 2 of my breakfast & shower.
    8:00 am- Get them on the bus & head out to start my day at the office
    6:00 pm- Home from work. Dinner, homework, baths
    9:00-10:00 pm- In Bed

Works great for me. I couldn’t survive if I had a midnight bedtime!

ETA- Weekends I go to the gym midday, it's pretty relaxed
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I really want to get this weight under control.

That's all about diet.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's not about finding time it's about making time.

You get up at 6:15 to get on a 7:50 bus? that is 90mins what are you doing there? getting ready for school????

Instead of getting groceries every other day do it once a week for the week (not only save time but money)

Why not invest in a bike and peddle to school and work? or walk depending on distance I often find bus rides often take longer then a walk.

If you have to take the bus get some resistence bands and do it there.

What do you do for work 2pm -10:30 pm is a full 8 hour shift...you get breaks for food and just breaks (2 15mins ones maybe).

If work isn't busy depending on what you do drop and give us 30...or a swift walk around the store or restocking shelves with heavy objects.

If you want it bad enough you will figure it out.
  • pittjenn
    pittjenn Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    FInding time to workout is a comittment. There are other things that you'd prefer to do, but you keep your "date" with your workout because you want to.

I work 50hrs a week in an office and attend night classes from 6-9 3x/week. The only time I can consistently keep my workouts is 5:30am. Yes, it sucks. Yes, I'd MUCH rather sleep. But that is the time that I have all to myself, with no interruptions. And I want to be healthy and have more energy, so I make myself roll out of bed. I've tried to work out in teh afternoons, but more often than not, I become too "busy", too hungry, just have to finish this ONE more thing, etc and my workout doesn't happen.
  • Kegsey55
    Kegsey55 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I couldn't survive on less sleep than you are already planning so I wouldn't get up earlier. I find if I'm tired I eat more which more than wipes out any extra exercise I would get.

You have 90 minutes in a morning, could you find sometime there to exercise?

When you are travelling to/from school/work/home, could you get off the bus a bit earlier and walk the rest of the way?

While you are at school and work, do you get breaks where you could go for a walk? If you have to go somewhere, could you take a longer route to get there?

I hope you find something that works for you.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    2) sometimes other things in life take a higher priority. If you can't exercise, then focus on your diet, tend to the rest of your life, and start exercising when your schedule eases up a bit.

Watching your diet is going to be important if you're busy. Odds are that, even if you can't find time in a day to exercise, you're still going to eat at some point, so you'll want to make sure you optimize your intake as much as you can. Even if you had all the time in the world to exercise, it could still easily be undone by a bad diet.

I would definitely agree that you will want to look into compact workuts that minimize the time requirements. You also may be able to find ways to make the things you already do in your day more physically active. With a little practice (and wardrobe / space allowing), you could probably get to the point of doing 15 push-ups or squats in as many seconds. Do that when you start work and then repeat every hour, and you've done 120 reps while only taking 2 minutes of time. Even standing when you would otherwise be sitting can help you burn more. So, if you can't add more to what is already in your schedule, you can look into modifying what's already there.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    HIIT only takes 12-15 minutes. Just sayin'.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    And running home I could do or jog, but would need to invest in a better backpack that's made for running.

This! I'm a big believer in the run-commute. I travel with my daughter so I have to put her in the jogger to do this which makes it really hard. But I do it anyway, 2-4 run-commutes home a week at 5 miles per session. It's perfect because I'm repurposing a block of time that I need to use anyway (takes an hour plus to get home on the subway, about 56 mins running w/stops for the kid) for excercise. And I'm not extending my daighter's day.

Also an hour and 35 mins to get ready in the morning seems like a long time. Maybe 20 of those mins could be excercise?
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Get up earlier in the morning to work out. I get up at 5am M-F but don't need to be to work till 8. I have dogs I have to care for in the morning that does take some time but I also do a mini at home workout before work also. I sometimes do a mini workout or bike ride on my hour lunch too. I try to hit the gym right after work than go home and go later. It is harder for me to get there if I go home first than just go there right after work .
    You really just have to make time to do it! You can do it! Good luck!
  • silver__shadow
    silver__shadow Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Reading all these stories on how all of you find time to workout during your busy work week. Getting up early and what not is inspirational to me. If you can get up at 430 in the morning workout and have a job, kids and school so can I. thank you to everyone for the help.
  • heatherc369
    Options
    Reading all these stories on how all of you find time to workout during your busy work week. Getting up early and what not is inspirational to me. If you can get up at 430 in the morning workout and have a job, kids and school so can I. thank you to everyone for the help.
    You got this!! Especially if you log everything, check in daily and be accountable!!! It's rough but just look at the things you want to change and ask yourself how bad do you want it??
    :)
  • heatherc369
    Options
    You got this!! Especially if you log everything, check in daily and be accountable!!! It's rough but just look at the things you want to change and ask yourself how bad do I want this??
    :)
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you can do it!! You have to want it bad enough, I always said I wanted it but never did it until recently...Here's my schedule:

Monday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's:

5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son and take him to daddy grab my pre-made dinner
    5:15pm-Drive to class, eat food while driving
    6-9:00 pm-sit through 3hours of lab/lecture
    9:30pm-get home spend a minute with my don bc he will not go to sleep until I am home
    10:00pm-try and study for a bit and try to be bed by 11 pm

Wednesday's:

5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son and take him home to eat really fast and change before Tball practice
    5:45pm Leave for T-ball practice
    7:00pm -Head home from practice
    7:15pm-Family time, showers and Tv
    8:30pm-try and do homework and study some, be to bed by 11:00pm at latest

Friday's:

5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son , head home make dinner do laundry and dishes family time, bath time etc
    8:00pm-Put son to bed and do my 2nd DVD for another 28 mins, shower
    9:00pm- Homework/study time, bed by 11

Saturday's That I work (Every other)

5:30am -wake up
    5:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    6:15am-Log my workout and hop in the shower
    2:00pm-Leave work,
    2:30pm Grocery Shopping
    3:30pm -Family time/ running errands/ swimming
    5:30pm Make Dinner/eat
    6:30pm Laundry/cleaning/take stats
    8:00pm Put son to bed, hubby time
    9:00pm Homework and study time, bed by midnight

Saturday's im off:

8:00am- wake up make breakfast/eat
    9:00am- do my stats
    9;30am-shower/get dressed, get son dressed and ready for practice
    10;45am-leave for practice
    12:30pm-get home from practice and make lunch
    1:30pm run any errands grocery store/pet store ect
    5:00pm make dinner / eat / family time
    8:00pm put son to bed/hubby time
    9:00pm homework / study time bed by midnight

Sunday's:

No set schedule but its a busy day doin my stretch dvd, homework cooking meals and cleaning house

Nothing to contribute to this thread but damn, woman, you are amazing. I am single, live on my own and only have a full-time job and I feel like I barely have enough time for myself...can't imagine juggling all the plates that you do. You and everyone else who posted their insane schedules are an inspiration. :flowerforyou:
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Mornings are my prefect time

4:15-4:30 am- Get out of bed, get my workout clothes on & eat a small meal
    5:00 am- Arrive at the gym
    6:00 am- Leave & go back home. Get my 4 kids up for school, make them breakfast, eat part 2 of my breakfast & shower.
    8:00 am- Get them on the bus & head out to start my day at the office
    6:00 pm- Home from work. Dinner, homework, baths
    9:00-10:00 pm- In Bed

Works great for me. I couldn’t survive if I had a midnight bedtime!

ETA- Weekends I go to the gym midday, it's pretty relaxed

And you too...you do all of this with four kids????!! Hats off and :flowerforyou: I need to get some time management tips from you!