Strength training for weight loss but not for thighs!

Options
I have 22lbs to lose and would like to know a program i can follow to lose weight and keep muscle mass? I did stronglifts and it worked but my thighs go bigger and my pants became tighter but loose around the waist...

I want to loose inches off my thighs and waist and i know that i can spot reduce but heavy squats make me gain muscle on my thighs and tone up the rest of the body.

is there a program i can follow that will help tighten my butt but not make my thighs even bigger and lose weight at same time?

Replies

• Michaeljferreira17
    Options
    Are you looking for a routine strictly lifting or a program with a cardio/strength training mix?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I seriously doubt such a program exists.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    You are retaining water in your muscles....you didn't gained muscle.

Lose the fat and they will shrink.

Continue what you are doing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    While in a deficit, I doubt you gained muscle in your thighs, maybe water retention due to so much lifting which made them bigger, but that should only have been temporary.

You can check out Weindler 5/3/1, it still has squats and deads, but not as often.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, your thighs will NOT getting any bigger without drugs.

a 160 pound person who cuts to 140 pounds, even with a ton of squatting and steroids, will not have a larger thigh measurement after the several weeks of weight loss.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight, your thighs will NOT getting any bigger without drugs.

a 160 pound person who cuts to 140 pounds, even with a ton of squatting and steroids, will not have a larger thigh measurement after the several weeks of weight loss.
    He should know, he loves to DL.

But seriously, it's so hard to actually gain muscle, even in a calorie surplus.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I love both cardio and lifting but my problem is heavy squats it makes my thighs bigger....
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    bros do this ALL the time.

20 sets of bench press/incline variations

20 sets of curls and skullcrushers

leg lifts (be careful to use your abs not thighs on those though)

20 sets of dumbell shurgs (always right in front of the DB rack), then barbell shrugs in the squat cage.

calf raises

BAM! bro approved workout.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I love both cardio and lifting but my problem is heavy squats it makes my thighs bigger....
    No, no it doesn't, not when losing weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

That would only be temporary water retention, give it time and your thighs will actually get smaller. Unless you are not tracking food properly (weighing solids and measuring liquids) you may actually be in a surplus when you think you are in a deficit.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    You've retained water, unless you're using steroids or eating at a surplus you haven't gained size on your thighs.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    why would you not want superhero legs anyway? :)

i agree with the others, your thighs are probably just the last place where your fat goes from - lucky you, the last to go is my belly :/
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    why would you not want superhero legs anyway? :)

Exactly. Wonder Woman? Tiny waist, MASSIVE thighs. I fail to see the problem.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I have 35 pounds to lose, but I'm looking for a weight training program that will make my party equipment larger, any suggestions?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have 35 pounds to lose, but I'm looking for a weight training program that will make my party equipment larger, any suggestions?

I hear good things about a book written by Austin Powers