Who are you inspiring?

Options
Since I have started this journey a little over a month ago I have been overwhelmed with message, texts and people just walking up to me and telling me how I have inspired them to start making healthy changes in their lives.

It started with a friend of mine who is getting married in January. She sent me a message and created a profile on this site. Then my sister in law and brother in law have started walking. (mad props to them that they are having some time away from the kids too) I have had friends on facebook send me messages askingme what I am doing that they want to do the same thing. My mom and my brother have started weight watchers. I am so proud of them for changing their diets.

The greatest shock came to me today though. My husband and I were walking back home when we saw an elderly lady in our neighborhood out. She has been out all summer sitting on her porch and we say hi just about everyday as we walk by. Well today we wave said hi and just as we were about to keep trudging on she spoke up "You know I see you guys out here everyday and you are really working hard. I went to my doctor last week and he said if I dont lose weight I'm going to have to have surgery on my knees from the arthritis. I also quit smoking this week. I have lost 17 pounds so far how are you guys doing? You are looking good!"

I was in such shock. I never thought that I would inspire someone I didnt know! I wanted to run over and give her a hug! I told her that I have lost 23 pounds and that my husband has lost close to 37. She was so happy for us!

My point to this is sometimes we get so upset that no one in our immediate lives is noticing our progress that we forget that we arent do this for them. We are doing this for us. You never know who you are going to inspire and never know whos watching! I am so passionate about motivating people that sometimes I get carried away. But I never stopped to think about the motivation that I am giving people just by setting an example!

Replies

• maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    how awesome and its so true! i don't know at the moment who i am inspiring but my brother started to lose weight this year, and then my dad did and then myself. we all saw what he was doing and exercising and were motivated. he did the watp dvd and gave one to my dad. i think its so great. i hope i can inspire one person to make a change, even a small one.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! Thanks :)
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Amazing isn't it?

I have struggled with weight most of my life. My sisters did not - but since having kids, both have put on weight. They see me doing this - and they are both now inspired to start making better choices. One joined this site and the YMCA. The other - just started asking questions - but its an important first step.

I have gotten my inspiration as well from a co-worker and friends.....that same co-worker said I inspired her to get back into healthy lifestyle choices - which is an awesome feeling.

Keep up the good work - you never know who is watching!
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    Wow, good for you. I think that if we keep our perspective on losing weight and becoming fit for OURSELVES, then others are sure to notice and comment. This happened to me several years ago when I lost 52 pounds. People were saying things all over the place and of course I loved it. When my son said, "Mom, you look terrific," I thought I'd burst. That was a really proud moment. :flowerforyou:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Although I have gone down in clothes sizes I know it isn't obvious to others yet. I had been exercising alot but not losing weight so there was a little slimming there before. I just go ahead and tell them what I am doing and how this is working for me. Some have asked for the site. I can't wait till it gets to the point that others see the difference and ask me about it. Not for myself but for anyone who needs this too. I always say that this site is not just for losing weight but for staying fit and healthy. I have a skinny son who lifts weights I would like him to use the tools here to make sure he gets enough nutrition. My daughter started on it and has gone from very slightly overweight to just in the healthy range. It may have to do more with my cooking healthier and watching portions better. I think it is from example which is one reason I am doing this. My husband isn't on here but he has been losing too for some of the same reasons as my daughter and because he was in a walking program at work for awhile. Nice post. Except for my family I haven't thought about this except I want anyone who needs MFP to know about it.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    hahah~! That's AWESOME! Congratulations on your progress and inspiring others! That's wonderful!

Personally I've inspired my Sweetie! He goes on most of my walks with me and he's eating so much healthier - and not just because I do the cooking, I've inspired him to eat healthier at work too. He no longer goes out and gets fast food, he usually brings his lunch now and almost always brings some fruit now. He's even cut down from drinking Pepsi nearly every day to drinking only a glass or two a week. He now sees Pepsi as liquid candy bar (given the amount of calories and sugar in it, it basically is) and sees it as an every once in a while treat, like candy. He was never a big guy, pretty much on the average size, but he's actually lost over 10 lbs in the past five months (which given the fact that he wasn't even overweight to begin with is pretty awesome). Myself, I've lost 54 lbs in five months and couldn't be happier with my progress! I still have a long way to go but look forward to the changes and, hopefully, inspiring others along the way. :D
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    hahah~! That's AWESOME! Congratulations on your progress and inspiring others! That's wonderful!

Personally I've inspired my Sweetie! He goes on most of my walks with me and he's eating so much healthier - and not just because I do the cooking, I've inspired him to eat healthier at work too. He no longer goes out and gets fast food, he usually brings his lunch now and almost always brings some fruit now. He's even cut down from drinking Pepsi nearly every day to drinking only a glass or two a week. He now sees Pepsi as liquid candy bar (given the amount of calories and sugar in it, it basically is) and sees it as an every once in a while treat, like candy. He was never a big guy, pretty much on the average size, but he's actually lost over 10 lbs in the past five months (which given the fact that he wasn't even overweight to begin with is pretty awesome). Myself, I've lost 54 lbs in five months and couldn't be happier with my progress! I still have a long way to go but look forward to the changes and, hopefully, inspiring others along the way. :D

Stacy you inspire me everyday and always know what to say! I am so glad that you are my friend!!! I am so proud of you for your progress thus far!!!!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    you are all inspiring me. I am alone in this as my kids are skinny and my husband could care less what he weighs right now. it is a little frustrating but i cant do it for him. he has to do it himself. i get tired of always refusing ice cream and having to say i dont wan to go out to eat or whatever. i just stick to my guns and keep doing what i am doing. some day maybe he will use that gym membership that we spent a ton of money on. my youngest goes with me a couple of days a wk but he is only ten and cant do a lot at a time. so i go in the mornings also because i have the time. i figure i just need to keep tracking and i will be b ack at my goal eventually. thanks for all of you posting and just being here!
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    you are all inspiring me. I am alone in this as my kids are skinny and my husband could care less what he weighs right now. it is a little frustrating but i cant do it for him. he has to do it himself. i get tired of always refusing ice cream and having to say i dont wan to go out to eat or whatever. i just stick to my guns and keep doing what i am doing. some day maybe he will use that gym membership that we spent a ton of money on. my youngest goes with me a couple of days a wk but he is only ten and cant do a lot at a time. so i go in the mornings also because i have the time. i figure i just need to keep tracking and i will be b ack at my goal eventually. thanks for all of you posting and just being here!

Good for you! I'm in this alone too. Although my husband does eat yogurt now.... that's the only healthy thing he eats. I'm still working on him though.... baby steps right?!

You all inspire me as well, thanks!!
  • Squash97
    Options
    I love that you posted this! I wasn't seriously overweight to begin with, just trying to shed the baby weight; however, I wasn't a healthy eater by any means. A soda every day, fast food a few times a month, sweets in the house that I would snack on alll the time. My five year old now asks for water or milk to drink instead of juice because it's "better for me with lots of vitamins". I grew up in a house where we ate dinner out of a box most of the time, and I love that I am turning that around and making three little babies into healthy people! :)
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love that you posted this! I wasn't seriously overweight to begin with, just trying to shed the baby weight; however, I wasn't a healthy eater by any means. A soda every day, fast food a few times a month, sweets in the house that I would snack on alll the time. My five year old now asks for water or milk to drink instead of juice because it's "better for me with lots of vitamins". I grew up in a house where we ate dinner out of a box most of the time, and I love that I am turning that around and making three little babies into healthy people! :)

That is so awesome!!! I hope that when I have children that I can do the same thing. I want then to realize that if they want something sweet they can have fruit. And that certain foods wont be eaten. My husands mother makes everything out of a box. I have slowly made him realize that eating those meals is not helping her just because they are quick. The only thing that ever comes out of our microwave is popcorn and hot water for our tea. I glad that your children are going to grow up and be healthy people with values that the can teach their children!!!