I'm starting over...again

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for a while here on My Fitness Pal. I love all the success stories, and they do encourage me to keep going.

Unfortunately I had two episodes of severe stress (life and death) involving my mother's health, each time causing me to just eat whatever was quick and available since I was taking care of her and letting myself go. I did lose 15 lbs by stopping Ambien for sleep. It made me eat at night uncontrollably.

So now I'm starting again. This time I'm trying to concentrate on eating less as I'm diabetic and the medication side-effects are too rough on me. I'm under 5 feet tall and I'm 51 y.o. I also have the thrifty gene, and this means I need very little food to get by. When I was 18, I needed only 1200 calories a day to maintain a high-normal weight and that was with lots of exercise. Now, 900 calories a day is plenty to maintain a normal weight for my height, age, and low activity level.

I hope this time to be successful in losing weight and getting my health under better control. I just have to keep thinking that extreme emotions are not an excuse to eat the wrong things or to overeat. I'm an adult who does not have to seek out comfort foods to sooth my emotions. It's okay to feel extreme emotions and make peace with them without food. Food is no longer my best friend.

:drinker:

Replies

• alli1570
    Options
    One of my favorite sayings is....You never truly fail until you give up trying!! So good for you for trying again!! I too am trying to get back on the weight loss bandwagon...maybe this will be the time we both are successful!! Good luck!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you are trying again. I believe that if you eat healthy and exercise more you will get healthier.......period. So what if you do not lose a pound? (of course you WILL but then your focus is on being healthym, not the scale)

I am rebooting myself. Maybe we can keep each other company! I am also going thru a very stressful time in my life and could use a new friend with the same goals!!

Good luck to you:flowerforyou:
  • mishygoose
    Options
    glad to hear you are starting over again. my weight loss has been a rollercoaster as well up and down, it can go down, it can work.
  • sexylonglegs
    Options
    welcome back...we are so glad you are here.
  • shortwasp
    shortwasp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement Alli. :flowerforyou:
  • shortwasp
    Options
    Thanks Jeannie. It's great that you've lost weight before and can now do it again. :flowerforyou:
  • shortwasp
    Options
    Thanks Mishygoose. I'm glad there are friends here who can relate. :flowerforyou:
  • shortwasp
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome back, Sexylonglegs. :flowerforyou:
  • taulbeesd
    taulbeesd Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there. You know me because I look just like you since the day we were born. After reading your email this morning I decided that it's time to get serious again too. Since I had to get my brakes fixed, I also stopped by CostCo and picked up broccolli-cauliflower, green beans, chicken broth, and apples. I had everything else here at the house. No more excuses.

Starting weight: 160
    Goal: 115
    Ht: 5' 0"

304280.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • doris_day
    Options
    I'll have to remember that one - that's brilliant. It's not failure until I give up.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I'll have to remember that one - that's brilliant. It's not failure until I give up.

Amen~!~:drinker:
  • nataliesaunders2470
    Options
    Hi Shortwasp, good luck in your renewed attempt at weight loss. I'm back on here too after doing well at the beginning of the year having given up smoking, but then started a new job, started smoking again and lost my way...now I'm back to my original weight!

Our journey starts today then...!

Natalie