Haven't lost ANY weight, why not?

Options
I weigh 120lbs, i'm 5'2 and I've been doing a LOT of cardio and a bit of strength training at least 5 days a week, usually more, MFP says i have 1210 calories per day to lose 1lb a week, yet i've been tracking for a month and had no change? I keep just gaining 1 or 2 pounds then losing them again, without changing what i'm doing.

I've also been taking measurements, which haven't changed at all

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I weigh 120lbs, i'm 5'2 and I've been doing a LOT of cardio and a bit of strength training at least 5 days a week, usually more, MFP says i have 1210 calories per day to lose 1lb a week, yet i've been tracking for a month and had no change? I keep just gaining 1 or 2 pounds then losing them again, without changing what i'm doing.

I've also been taking measurements, which haven't changed at all

Lots of cardio and little calories. MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories. Drop all the cardio to 2 days a week, do 3 day of heavy weight lifting and eat around 1700 calories, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats.

You have very little weight to lose, if any at all. Concentrate on recomposition. You will see a little fat loss and muscle retention so there won't be much weight loss. But in all reality, weight is meaningless and doesn't make you look better in a bathing suit. Heck, you could add muscle and look better after a good cut phase.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Something tells me that you're not counting your calories/macros correctly. Are you measuring all your food? Are you sure you're logging the correct amount of calories?

I was going to say water retention but if you've been doing this for a month then you should of definitely of seen some weight loss by now if you're working out as much as you have been and eating as much calories as is recommended.

Might I suggest you try this:

Hit 1500 calories (DO NOT EAT BACK WORKOUT CALORIES FROM MFP), ensuring you reach roughly 145g of carbs, 120g of protein and 48 grams of fat per day. If you're finding it hard to eat food throughout the day, due to work or other situations that sometimes we just can't avoid, drink a protein shake; there are plenty of diet whey protein shakes out there so that might be the best for you.

I got this macro information from http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and assuming the fact you're 18.
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Okay i'll try upping my calories :) Admittedly my calories may not be completely accurate because I don't weigh my food, it's not a possibility in my house since it's my parents that cook the meals and they got annoyed with me being in the kitchen measuring out my portion when they're trying to cook aha!
  • mperrott2205
    Options
    Okay i'll try upping my calories :) Admittedly my calories may not be completely accurate because I don't weigh my food, it's not a possibility in my house since it's my parents that cook the meals and they got annoyed with me being in the kitchen measuring out my portion when they're trying to cook aha!

You're 18. You're old enough to be able to prepare your own meals if you're that serious about your weight loss and your certainly old enough to tell your mum and dad to get over it.

A tip: Pre-cook your lunches on a Sunday for about 4-5 days in advance. This will take you literally no more than an hour to do. Pan fry some chicken/pork (using 1 cal spray), cook some tuna and put them into separate lunch boxes. Then put in some vegetables that you like or do what I do, buy some uncle ben's rice pouches that are microwaveable and voila, a decent, well balanced, healthy meal for about 450-500 calories.
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do my lunches/breakfasts it's just when it comes to dinnertime my parents are the ones buying the food and so we all have to eat the same thing, but thanks for the advice and I will try that lunch idea, except i'll make it on mondays for the rest of the week as sunday is my 'busy day' and i've only got wednesday, thursday, friday at college this year, meaning I have plenty of time to make whatever for lunch on the other days :)
  • mperrott2205
    Options
    Glad to hear it.

Then in regards to dinner, just make your portions smaller than the rest of the family, but I would still recommend measuring it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Or just measure things before you eat them. I used my food scale for my meats when it's cook. Before it goes on the plate, it goes on the scale.
  • mountaindewbass
    mountaindewbass Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I understand the difficulties of having to count calories if someone else Is cooking. Especially when you eat over at a friends house for dinner. My wife and I usually go to friends house for game night on Fridays. Its all about guestimating how many calories you can consume.

If I was in your situation, I would simply look for something "similar" to what your parents are cooking in order to stay in the correct ball park.
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

My kids find my weighing everything out kind of funny and annoying. But then they'll compliment me on being buff.

120 lbs at 5'2" seems like a great starting point for strength training. Back off the cardio some and train like a man! Don't worry, it won't make you look like one.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It's easy. Weigh your food, log your workouts (make sure the calories are accurate), eat your goal (it will add exercise calories), lose weight.

People who don't lose weight typically are doing it wrong.