How often do you go over your calories?

Hi I was just wondering how often do you go over your calories? Its seems a least once a week I go over my calories I have mine at 1722 calories because I exercise 6 days a week. I feel like a Yo Yo because i'll gain weight from that day then takes a week a bit to lose what I gained. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    One day won't extract it unless you go over by over by thousands of calories
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    I do the same thing but I don't really view it as a problem - just normal weight fluctuations. It's not real fat gain. It's just water weight. I've shifted my focus to losing fat and inches rather than pounds and so I'm less tied to the scale. I've been going over my calories a bit too often lately but I'm still losing inches due to weight lifting. It's my precious. :heart:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Like the second person said, if you go over your calorie limit a little bit, it won't really hurt you. The calorie limit if you're trying to lose 1.5 pounds a week is set at like 700 calories below your normal resting calorie burn rate. So if you go 100 calories over or something, you're not going to gain weight. You just won't lose it as quickly. Even when you go over your calorie limit, look at your profile to figure out your daily calorie burn and try to make sure not to break that.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    one day or two but I do exercise more the following morning
  • I go over at least once or twice a week, but it is often because I eat a ridiculous amount of fruits, veggies and healthy fats (olive oil, raw nuts/seeds) which although they are healthy calories, they are still calories.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    For me lately it seems I go over about every other day. So then I have lower calorie days to make up for them. I just figured my average for the last 30 days this morning and I'm spot on so I'm not worried.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Once so far in 7 months. But as long as it's not 200 over all the time, it's not a big deal at all (heck even 200 over wouldn't be a big deal, as long as you're measuring properly, you'd still have a deficit).
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    This is very good post written about why you gain weight if you eat over and the relevance of glycogen.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Thanks you guys now i dont feel so bad I feel like sometimes the only one. Most of my friends on mfp always seem to be under their goal.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Almost everyday
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    prob 1 - 2 times a week ,
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    I'm finding lately at least 3-4 times per week. But many times it's by 50-100 calories (such as today's plan), so I'm not sweating that at all.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    I deliberately go over by around 500-1000 calories once a week.

I'll separately from that occasionally also go over by a few calories one every month or so.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Usually 1 or 2 days a week by 100-200 calories but if my week's average is very close, which it usually is, I am satisfied.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hi I was just wondering how often do you go over your calories? Its seems a least once a week I go over my calories I have mine at 1722 calories because I exercise 6 days a week. I feel like a Yo Yo because i'll gain weight from that day then takes a week a bit to lose what I gained. Anyone else have this problem?

Whatever "gain" you are showing is not an actual gain of fat...that's mathematically pretty much impossible unless you're exceeding your maintenance level of calories by 3,500 plus. Also, your calorie goal is a huge deficit from maintenance...so even if you go over you are most likely still in an energy deficit unless you're going over by 500-1000 calories. Whatever gain you're seeing is just water; this could be attributable to eating a few more calories but most likely more attributable to whatever it is you're eating...if it's high sodium and/or carbs, you'll retain water easily.

When I was losing, I frequently exceeded my calorie goal but was still at a deficit overall, week in, week out; I occasionally ate at a maintenance level. It's not about 1 day...1 day doesn't make you healthy and fit and 1 day doesn't all of a sudden make you fat...it's all about general trends over long periods of time. If you can't get your head out of the minutia, you're going to be in for a really long haul.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Almost everyday

Yeah, me too.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Normally on the weekends I'm over by about 300 - 400 a day. I'm so used to being able to eat about 2200-2500 calories that the restrictions of 1700 just kill me.

I seem to manage it fine. Sometimes ill save some calories the next day or the days before or I'll go for an extra walk or something but usually I just ignore it and move on :p
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I go off just about every day. I play too much. Just because I work out regularly, I think I am doing great. Got on the scale this morning for the first time in 2 months and I've gained 7 pounds. So today may as well be my first day on MFP cause I'm gonna get this stuff together, gonna stop going over by hundreds and gonna log every day! Thanks for your question, I like it, it was right on time. I love typing the word "gonna" for all the proper English people, but I don't verbally use it.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    I go over whenever I am feeling extra hungry or tired, I know from how I feel when I need to have a bit more on any given day. It's swings and roundabouts with me, I listen to my body and go with flow.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    once or twice a week, but I'm usually under on my weeky calories, so I don't really care.

If I am feeling sick or tired, I raise my calories to maintenance for a few days , to give my body the extra fuel it needs to keep me healthy.