A great weight loss success story - Drew Carey!!

Options
I was shocked to open up the Sunday paper and see a healthy looking Drew Carey on the cover of Parade magazine! I read the article and was so relieved to read that he lost weight the good old fashioned way: a healthy diet and regular (reasonable) exercise.

main-drew-carey.jpg

http://www.parade.com/health/2010/09/26-drew-carey.html

From the article:

A Tale of Two Diets
When Drew Carey decided he wanted to drop to 170 pounds in November, he faced a daunting task: He weighed 262 pounds and had a 44-inch waist. To reach his goal, he needed to exercise and completely overhaul his fat- and sugar-fueled diet. Here, from breakfasts to beverages, is his before-and-after.
The Old Drew
Breakfast
An egg, sausage, and cheese sandwich on an English muffin with pancakes; or steak and eggs with toast, hash browns, and pancakes

Lunch
A turkey club sandwich or tuna melt with French fries; or an entire pepperoni pizza

Dinner
Spicy chicken fettuccine with a cream-based sauce and bread

Snacks
A bag of Doritos with ranch dressing

Beverages
Gallons of Pepsi and multiple cups of coffee with two sugars each
The New Drew

Breakfast
Scrambled egg whites with a side of fruit

Lunch
A turkey burger (without cheese), steamed broccoli, and a green salad with balsamic vinegar

Dinner
Grilled chicken breast, a steamed green vegetable, and a green salad with balsamic vinegar

Snacks
An apple, a handful of grapes, or a sugar-free popsicle

Beverages
At least 64 ounces of water a day

Replies

• ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My hubby pointed the article out to me this morning and I didn't even recognize the guy! Am hoping this will inspire my better half...I think a lot of older men get this idea that their weight is what it is and there is no remedy.
  • mmbunnell
    Options
    He looks great now! I bet he feels so much better about his health....... thanks for the post, it's inspiring.
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    thats awesome, he looks good, now if i can do the same.
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    !
  • OlenaS
    OlenaS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! Great inspiration.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,719 Member
    Options
    Not only does he look healthier, but I don't think I've ever seen him look happier! That's super. Thanks for sharing!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    I'm really happy that Drew's gotten in such great shape (can't argue with success!) but that seems like very little food, especially for a man.... and quite boring. There are no healthy fats in there at all. I don't think I could eat that rigidly for any length of time... but maybe this is just to give a general idea of the changes he made.

I'm no example of the healthiest eating, but we all need to find ways to include the foods we love... just maybe in a revised version... or else rebellion is inevitable.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy that Drew's gotten in such great shape (can't argue with success!) but that seems like very little food, especially for a man.... and quite boring. There are no healthy fats in there at all. I don't think I could eat that rigidly for any length of time... but maybe this is just to give a general idea of the changes he made.

I'm no example of the healthiest eating, but we all need to find ways to include the foods we love... just maybe in a revised version... or else rebellion is inevitable.

If you read the article, he says that he has the occasional "treat" like a cupcake or pizza slice, but that it's okay to do that as long as he eats healthy most of the time. I think that the menu I copied was just meant to give you a general idea of the type of changes he made in his diet.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I love it when people in the public eye do it the "right way" and just eating healthy and exercise. I love when people ask me what the secret is to weight loss, I like to say, "it's the craziest diet, I eat lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats and whole grains, I limit sugary treats and exercise." I always get an eye roll :laugh:
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Whoa, he looks so different. He's been big as long as I have known of him (which is a LONG time). It's great to know that even after decades of being bigger you can still trim down. Sounds like his diet is much healthier, which means HE'S probably much healthier! I'm so happy for him! :D That's a wonderful accomplishment. He's over 50 so it's good to know that you can make life changing choices at any time. It's never too late.
  • njjbosse
    Options
    eating doritos and ranch dressing seems repulsive.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Didn't see the link for the article before-- great article! Very inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!